Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 7 of 8   [ 152 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Trinity
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:40 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Good. It's a good book.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:59 am 
Corporate Minion Moderator
Corporate Minion Moderator

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
GKC wrote:
Doom wrote:
Denise Dee wrote:

I agree with Doom. These forums seem to be dominated by a clique who seem more concerned with their own private humor rather than address the topics.

There you go, that is the thing I was going for but couldn't articulate. This board is INCREDIBLY cliquey. The post padding consists of the endless repetition of the same stale jokes over and over again, jokes which I have to admit I don't understand, even though I've been here longer than any other member, and it is this cliquiness, this feeling that I am not in on the joke, that makes me feel alienated and leads me to avoid threads that devolve into post padding. It is like being back in high school, where there are the 'cool kids' who behave in a certain way in order to identify 'insiders' and 'outsiders', and I am an outsider. That's why I don't like post padding. Thank you.

Longer than any other member?

GKC, once day, I must surely arrange a meeting with you in an appropriate setting where I will buy you a drink of the single-malt Scotch of your choice and light up a cigar while you light your pipe. Then I will sit back and enjoy every moment of the conversation that ensues. :salut:

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:36 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

https://web.archive.org/web/20020722035 ... rt.com:80/

That's the oldest snapshot of the forum on the Wayback Machine, from July 22, 2002. Currently active users I can spot, either because they're still using the same nickname or because I know their 500p3r 53kr17 identity:

Doom
Siggy
Me
Peregrinator
GKC
anawim
St. Veronica (h/t to fs for the catch)

A couple others maybe poke their head in every now and then but aren't regulars, and I'm sure I missed a few.

Last edited by Obi-Wan Kenobi on Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:48 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
that was fun to see some of those names from the past, one year before i started ...for sure one miss you had was st. veronica :fyi:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:15 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

The pickle could be there too.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:24 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

i was looking for him as i expected to see him, but i overlooked his name if he was on that page... perhaps i just scanned it too quickly

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:44 pm 
Criminally Insane Cucumber
Criminally Insane Cucumber

Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: OblSB
I've been here since about '98, but have had some longish breaks, including evidently a good few years around the time the board changed over to this one--hence my late sign up date.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:44 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

gherkin wrote:
I've been here since about '98, but have had some longish breaks, including evidently a good few years around the time the board changed over to this one--hence my late sign up date.

I have some memory of posting prior to 2000, but no idea when. But I was around before the official date I'm credited with.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:48 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Mrs. Timmy wrote:
GKC wrote:
Doom wrote:
Denise Dee wrote:

I agree with Doom. These forums seem to be dominated by a clique who seem more concerned with their own private humor rather than address the topics.

There you go, that is the thing I was going for but couldn't articulate. This board is INCREDIBLY cliquey. The post padding consists of the endless repetition of the same stale jokes over and over again, jokes which I have to admit I don't understand, even though I've been here longer than any other member, and it is this cliquiness, this feeling that I am not in on the joke, that makes me feel alienated and leads me to avoid threads that devolve into post padding. It is like being back in high school, where there are the 'cool kids' who behave in a certain way in order to identify 'insiders' and 'outsiders', and I am an outsider. That's why I don't like post padding. Thank you.

Longer than any other member?

GKC, once day, I must surely arrange a meeting with you in an appropriate setting where I will buy you a drink of the single-malt Scotch of your choice and light up a cigar while you light your pipe. Then I will sit back and enjoy every moment of the conversation that ensues. :salut:

I would be honored.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:50 pm 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
https://web.archive.org/web/20020722035400/http://forums.catholic-convert.com:80/

That's the oldest snapshot of the forum on the Wayback Machine, from July 22, 2002. Currently active users I can spot, either because they're still using the same nickname or because I know their 500p3r 53kr17 identity:

Doom
Siggy
Me
Peregrinator
GKC
anawim

A couple others maybe poke their head in every now and then but aren't regulars, and I'm sure I missed a few.

Zeno used another username.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:19 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Is she on that page?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:00 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Signum Crucis wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
https://web.archive.org/web/20020722035400/http://forums.catholic-convert.com:80/

Doom
Siggy
Me
Peregrinator
GKC
anawim

Zeno used another username.

had she banned any of europe yet? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:39 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Ban a continent, just once, and they never let you forget :nooo:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:04 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Syro Malabar Christian
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Good. It's a good book.

I've begun reading it, and I'm afraid I can't say I like it. I thought it was only the beginning, so I skimmed through the whole book, and i didn't change much. :|

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:20 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Roman Catholic
Denise Dee wrote:
Doom wrote:
I honestly think that what we are seeing in this thread right here is one of the main reasons why we get so few newbies, and the ones we do get don't stick around for long.

Look at this, we had a serious discussion going on, and now it has degenerated into mindless post padding. Don't you see that the way this almost always happens with even the most serious threads tends to discourage people who are serious about wanting a real discussion from posting on this forum or taking this forum seriously?

I agree with Doom. These forums seem to be dominated by a clique who seem more concerned with their own private humour rather than address the topics. Humour is good as long as it stays on topic but often silly stuff completely hijacks the topic. Also a few people tend to personally attack when a sincere question is asked. I'm always a bit scared to ask questions here. The other thing is that I don't get questions answered such as the one I asked about finding a spiritual adviser in the Sex and the City thread in Cath 101.

You mean the thread where you explicitly told people to NOT post if they weren't familiar with Sex in the City? That's you're fault

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:00 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Jack3 wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Good. It's a good book.

I've begun reading it, and I'm afraid I can't say I like it. I thought it was only the beginning, so I skimmed through the whole book, and i didn't change much. :|

Oh, well. At least it didn't cost you anything other than time.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:53 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Jack3 wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Good. It's a good book.

Oh, well. At least it didn't cost you anything other than time.

I'll read through it if you insist it's very good. Fwiw I've never paid for anything online, ever.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:24 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

It's the only non-technical book I know of that gives a clear explanation of how Nicaea I came about and what was at stake. The story-telling style may be off-putting. You don't have to read it, but if you ever get challenged on the "Constantine made Jesus into God" nonsense, it'll prepare you to answer better than anything else I know.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:07 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
The story-telling style may be off-putting.

I like to read stories, history, and theology-ish things. Prima facie, it would seem that I would like a combination of these. But, no, that's not what happened.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:49 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Looking for answers
p.falk wrote:
Denise Dee wrote:
Doom wrote:
I honestly think that what we are seeing in this thread right here is one of the main reasons why we get so few newbies, and the ones we do get don't stick around for long.

Look at this, we had a serious discussion going on, and now it has degenerated into mindless post padding. Don't you see that the way this almost always happens with even the most serious threads tends to discourage people who are serious about wanting a real discussion from posting on this forum or taking this forum seriously?

I agree with Doom. These forums seem to be dominated by a clique who seem more concerned with their own private humour rather than address the topics. Humour is good as long as it stays on topic but often silly stuff completely hijacks the topic. Also a few people tend to personally attack when a sincere question is asked. I'm always a bit scared to ask questions here. The other thing is that I don't get questions answered such as the one I asked about finding a spiritual adviser in the Sex and the City thread in Cath 101.

You mean the thread where you explicitly told people to NOT post if they weren't familiar with Sex in the City? That's you're fault

I asked people not to post about Sex and the City if they hadn't seen it. My question about a spiritual director was not about Sex and the City. Thank you for taking the trouble to misunderstand.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 7 of 8   [ 152 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next