Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: No man call you teacher
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:39 pm 

Religion: Catholic
It says in the Bible that you should not be called a teacher. I don't fully accept this about teachers. In my view, teaching is moral and ethical. If somebody knows a lot about a subject, it is moral to share this knowledge. If you don't share knowledge, then one person has this ability and nobody else has this ability. For example, I can speak French but nobody else can speak French unless I teach French. Teaching is sharing abilities, knowledge and skills.

Post subject: Re: No man call you teacher
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:43 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Christian
Would it be better to use different words than teacher and teaching? For teacher use the word educator. For teaching use the word educating.

Post subject: Re: No man call you teacher
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:33 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
sunshine1 wrote:
It says in the Bible that you should not be called a teacher. I don't fully accept this about teachers. In my view, teaching is moral and ethical. If somebody knows a lot about a subject, it is moral to share this knowledge. If you don't share knowledge, then one person has this ability and nobody else has this ability. For example, I can speak French but nobody else can speak French unless I teach French. Teaching is sharing abilities, knowledge and skills.

Jesus, according to Luke 14:26 spoke: "If any man comes to me, without hating his father and mother and wife and children and brethren and sisters, yes, and his own life too, he can be no disciple of mine." Do you think Jesus is commanding us to hate our fathers and mothers, brothers and sisters and our own lives? Please say no. Oh, by the way, didn't Jesus also say to call no man on earth "father," yet here he himself is doing it?

I recall at some point in my formal education learning about hyperbole - an obvious and intended exaggeration such as I could eat a horse or I just bought enough food to feed an army.

Please watch this well done video. Maybe I'm partial to a defense that mentions (in this case at least in the accompanying text) hyperbole or hyperbolic, a concept seemingly lost on so many.

Jesus is not commanding against calling a male parent "father" or calling an educator "teacher." Nor is he commanding us to hate any other human being.