Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 4 of 6   [ 106 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: "Call no Man Father"
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:07 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Looking for answers
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
I have a friend who knows a veteran who lost an arm and got a really authentic-looking prosthetic. But he doesn't like to shake hands. Someone wouldn't take "No" for an answer and literally pulled his arm off.

Doom wrote:
if you think it means that I am accusing you of grabbing one of my appendages, you aren't being literal, you are being literalistic.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:57 am 
Adept
Adept

Religion: High Church Lutheran
Church Affiliations: Church of Norway
Oh, you've discovered that words have more than one meaning based on context. Good for you.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:53 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Denise Dee wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
I have a friend who knows a veteran who lost an arm and got a really authentic-looking prosthetic. But he doesn't like to shake hands. Someone wouldn't take "No" for an answer and literally pulled his arm off.

Doom wrote:
if you think it means that I am accusing you of grabbing one of my appendages, you aren't being literal, you are being literalistic.

You know you might literally be the most stubborn person I've ever encountered on these.forums. So, it is your contention that words have only one meaning regardless of context and thus it is absolutely impossible that a word might mean one thing when used in a colloquial sense but might mean something different even something completely unrelated when using a formal or technical sense. This is really the hill you want to die on,?

Last edited by Doom on Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:09 pm 
There Can Be Only One

Religion: Catholic
Doom wrote:
...really the hill you want to die on,?

Even though Doom wrote "really", he wasn't being literal. Even assuming you have a nearby hill.

Or was he?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:05 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Highlander wrote:
Doom wrote:

Even though Doom wrote "really", he wasn't being literal. Even assuming you have a nearby hill.

Or was he?

He didn't say literally (or is it literalistically?) :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:37 pm 
King of Cool

Byblos wrote:
Highlander wrote:
Doom wrote:

Or was he?

He didn't say literally (or is it literalistically?): mrgreen:

But I did say she is literally the most stubborn person I've ever encountered! Sure, I've encountered a lot of really stubborn people, but I measure stubbornness by the sheer smallness and pettiness of the argument. And this is a small and petty argument. This is such a stupid argument! all she had to do is say 'oh, so you're using it in a formal, technical sense that I wasn't aware of, okay' and let it go. Why argue about it? :?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:57 pm 
Adept
Adept

Religion: Christian & Missionary Alliance
You do remember AJ, don't you? And torn? Oh, and ask Byblos about Kenny . . . 'nother forum, but still . . .

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:07 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

theJack wrote:
You do remember AJ, don't you? And torn? Oh, and ask Byblos about Kenny . . . 'nother forum, but still . . .

Yukon.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:51 pm 
King of Cool

theJack wrote:
You do remember AJ, don't you? And torn? Oh, and ask Byblos about Kenny . . . 'nother forum, but still. .

They were argumentative, but generally, they were argumentative about substantive things. I measure stubbornness by the willingness to argue over trivialities. Since this is one of the most trivial arguments I've ever had, I think the stubbornness is unprecedented.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:56 pm 
Criminally Insane Cucumber

Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: OblSB
Doom wrote:
But I did say she is literally the most stubborn person I've ever encountered! Sure, I've encountered a lot of really stubborn people, but I measure stubbornness by the sheer smallness and pettiness of the argument. And this is a small and petty argument. This is such a stupid argument! all she had to do is say 'oh, so you're using it in a formal, technical sense that I wasn't aware of, okay' and let it go. Why argue about it? :?

So I was standing in line at a restaurant the other day. This is the line you stand in to go up to the register to pay for the meal. Only the reason there's a line is that it's super crowded, both with people trying to pay, and with people waiting for a seat. So the line wasn't really a line. It was more like an informal gathering. Still, it was pretty clear who was in line and who wasn't. So I went there and got at the end of the line. A guy came up on my right and stood next to me. Then a guy came up on my left and stood next to me. Eventually we moved forward. The guy on my right kind of drifted back to take up a place behind me. The guy on my left stepped forward with me and moved towards me. OK. So then we move forward again. Same thing. Guy on the left is kind of shoving in to me at this point. There's one guy left paying. I turn to the guy on my left with a big smile and say something like, "I think I was up here before you, is that right?" Trying to be very friendly like. The guy basically says no. So I say, "hm, I think I was up here before you and so was this man standing behind me." And the guy says "I remember that guy behind you was up here before me but I don't remember seeing you there."

Pause.

So I guess he thinks it's cool to cut in front of the guy behind me, who he knows was up there before him, because he thinks I cut in front of the guy behind me? OK. So that's confusing to me. But I press on with the big grin and happy face. I turn to the guy behind me, who of course is hearing all this, and say "excuse me, do you remember that I was here before you?" And he says, "yes." And now the guy who was cutting in front of me steps back behind me and says, all surly "I'm not gonna argue with you about it, buddy."

Pause.

So I turn back to the other guy and say "I'm just double checking here, but you agree I was here in front of you?" And he says, "it's really not worth arguing about."

Pause.

So I say, "well, right. I'm not arguing with anyone. That was what we call a question, not an argument. And I'm seriously just trying to make sure we're all clear on what happened. Because I'm not super happy that this guy is accusing me of cutting in front of him and then lying about it."

OK, I didn't say that. I said something like "right, I don't want to argue. I just want to be sure I'm in the right place in line." And go about my business.

There is no moral to this story. Other, I suppose, than that people seem to think I argue too much. I can live with it.

But if you call me stubborn, I'll fight you to my dying breath. :fyi:

Oh, a secondary moral is that this is all part of why I hate eating in restaurants and very rarely do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Also, I hate it when there's an ill-defined line, because it is asking too much for people to pay attention to where they belong in the group. Way too much. Also, that story had way more words in it than it really merits. OK, I think that's good. Thanks, y'all.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:56 pm 

Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: OblSB
Doom wrote:
theJack wrote:
You do remember AJ, don't you? And torn? Oh, and ask Byblos about Kenny . . . 'nother forum, but still. .

They were argumentative, but generally, they were argumentative about substantive things. I measure stubbornness by the willingness to argue over trivialities. Since this is one of the most trivial arguments I've ever had, I think the stubbornness is unprecedented.

I can't say I'm wholly convinced that torn isn't relevant to this thread in more ways than one.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:19 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

theJack wrote:

I'm STILL dealing with Kenny. Just today in fact. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:09 pm 
King of Cool

gherkin wrote:

Oh, a secondary moral is that this is all part of why I hate eating in restaurants and very rarely do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Also, I hate it when there's an ill-defined line because it is asking too much for people to pay attention to where they belong in the group. Way too much. Also, that story had way more words in it than it really merits. OK, I think that's good. Thanks, Y'all.

Talking about ill-defined lines, I was at Subway just last week, waiting in line for about 10 minutes, a line that didn't move at all for at least 10 minutes. It was one of those lines that rotated around a corner and I was standing behind and slightly to the left of the guy in front of me, I was slightly to the left because the line was rotating around a corner, but I was clearly in line. And then this elderly couple walks in, and literally (yes I said it!) jump ahead of me in line by standing directly behind the guy in front of me basically ignoring the fact that it was not a straight line but was rotating around the corner and cutting me out of line. I could have protested 'hey, this is the line, I've been here for 10 minutes, get behind me', instead I just loudly said 'to hell with this!' and walked out. I realized what was going to happen next, someone else would come in, and then I would be behind about 15 extra people and it would take another 45 minutes to get to the counter, and I was not in the mood to spend my entire lunch hour waiting in line and not even be able to eat my lunch when I get my food just rushing to clock back in shoving my food in the refrigerator for later. I just wasn't in the mood for that kind of crap, nor willing to argue about it, so I left.

Last edited by Doom on Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:16 pm 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Use a walker. And limp.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:31 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Doom wrote:
gherkin wrote:

Oh, a secondary moral is that this is all part of why I hate eating in restaurants and very rarely do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Also, I hate it when there's an ill-defined line because it is asking too much for people to pay attention to where they belong in the group. Way too much. Also, that story had way more words in it than it really merits. OK, I think that's good. Thanks, Y'all.

Talking about ill-defined lines, I was at Subway just last week, waiting in line for about 10 minutes, a line that didn't move at all for at least 10 minutes. It was one of those lines that rotated around a corner and I was standing behind and slightly to the left of the guy in front of me, I was slightly to the left because the line was rotating around a corner, but I was clearly in line. And then this elderly couple walks in, and literally (yes I said it!) jump ahead of me in line by standing directly behind the guy in front of me basically ignoring the fact that it was not a straight line but was rotating around the corner and cutting me out of line. I could have protested 'hey, this is the line, I've been here for 10 minutes, get behind me', instead I just loudly said 'to hell with this!' and walked out. I realized what was going to happen next, someone else would come in, and then I would be behind about 15 extra people and it would take another 45 minutes to get to the counter, and I was not in the mood to spend my entire lunch hour waiting in line and not even be able to eat my lunch when I get my food just rushing to clock back in shoving my food in the refrigerator for later. I just wasn't in the mood for that kind of crap, nor willing to argue about it, so I left.

All that trauma for a lousy sammich?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:33 pm 
King of Cool

Sabbath wrote:

Who said anything about trauma?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:34 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

As to the original post, "Call no Man Mother" may be a more relevant command for these days, and to be taken quite literalistically!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:36 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Doom wrote:
Sabbath wrote:

Who said anything about trauma?

Well, I didn't mean that litterally...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:45 pm 
Adept
Adept

Religion: High Church Lutheran
Church Affiliations: Church of Norway
gherkin wrote:
Doom wrote:
theJack wrote:

I can't say I'm wholly convinced that torn isn't relevant to this thread in more ways than one.
*wink* *wink*

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:24 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic (Syro Malabar)
re: undefined lines

Yesterday I went to a place where they take photocopies of what you give them.

I got my copy.

They didn't tell me the amount I had to pay.

I waited for a long while. There was no true queue, just people, more or less like the group of people in a marketplace. One of the shopkeeper-women randomly call people.

I could have left with my copy if I wanted to, and they wouldn't notice.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 4 of 6   [ 106 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next