Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: "Call no Man Father"
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:00 am 

Religion: Catholic
I have familiarized myself with the Catholic defenses for Jesus's statement "Call no man Father" in Matthew 23.9 as I have had to defend my faith with my dear non-Catholic friends who are sincerely concerned and affected by my conversion to the Catholic faith in 2016. I have defended it based on what I have read, that it is a sacrificial fatherhood, out of love and care and not a power grab or lordship like the pharisees. It was demonstrated by Paul and Christ referencing some disciples as "son" or "children". But still I am inwardly uneasy, with so many other ways to address a priest, "Reverend, Pastor" why not go with these so there is no hint of blatant contradiction to the scriptures? Then last weekend during casual kitchen conversation, my 18 y/o Lutheran son stumps me "Mom, Jesus never allowed himself to be called 'Father' reserving that title only for God, then why is it okay for priest?" He allowed himself to be called 'Rabbi" (teacher), and "Lord" but never "Father", insisting this title be for God alone. Please help.

Post subject: Re: "Call no Man Father"
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:00 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Because Jesus isn't the Father. To call Himself that would be to confuse the relations within the Trinity. Since priests are manifestly not members of the Trinity, there is no danger there.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:02 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

St. Paul refers to church members as his children in one verse. Then in the next, many translations have him literally calling himself their father. Of course, people who want to be offended will choose the translation that fits with their need to criticize the Catholic church.

http://biblehub.com/1_corinthians/4-15.htm

There are many reasons why it's okay to call a priest 'father, but I find this one more difficult to dismiss because God Himself is calling mortal men "fathers".

Quote:
In Deuteronomy 5:16, God commands, "Honor your father and your mother, as the Lord your God commanded you; that your days may be prolonged, and that it may go well with you, in the land which the Lord your God gives you." God made this command after telling us to honor Him. With this in mind, it seems reasonable to conclude that God Himself considers others to be "fathers." Jesus upholds this commandment in Mark 7:9-13. In this passage, He berates the scribes and Pharisees who used traditions to rationalize not providing assistance to their fathers. Similarly, in Matthew 19:16-19, Jesus includes honoring one's human father as a prerequisite to attaining eternal life. A father is one who begets children. Biologically, to beget means to give the seed from which a child is conceived. A man begets and a woman conceives. In the act of begetting, the man shares in the attributes of God's fatherhood by participating in the creation of this new life. In turn, God is the author of life who actively creates a soul and infuses it into the child at the moment of conception. It is important to remember that a child does not choose its biological father. The father gives the child life. Just as God gives life to all men, and so deserves our honor and reverence, so a child owes its life to its father, and the father deserves honor from the child. There is a spiritual sense to fatherhood as well. In John 8, Jesus identifies spiritual fatherhood in terms of whom one honors. If we honor the father of lies, the devil is our father; if we honor God, He is our Father (vv. 44-49). Thus, Jesus calls the devil a father of some, and He calls God the Father of others. Those alive in Christ owe their new life to God. But those who are in bondage to sin owe their enslaved existence to Satan. In light of this passage, we can best understand what Jesus meant in Matthew 23:9.

http://www.catholiceducation.org/en/rel ... -23-9.html

You have to go against scripture, including the 10 Commandments, to believe it's wrong to call another man father.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:19 am 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Jesus wasn't condemning the use of titles. as such, he was condemning the haughty attitude of some who seek to heap honors such as titles upon themselves.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:16 am 
Citizen
Citizen

If we are to take this literally we also cannot use the terms Teacher and Doctor (Latin origin for teacher)

Besides , it is then ironic that Pastor is acceptable to some then when Scripture in John 10 and Psalm 23 attribute that title to Jesus .

Also wanted to point out that the the Orthodox and Coptic churches both have no problem with the usage of the term Father and priests being called that . The ancient church understood this , it is only post the Reformation that this is being interpreted literally .

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:12 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

eddierulz wrote:
If we are to take this literally we also cannot use the terms Teacher and Doctor (Latin origin for teacher)

Besides , it is then ironic that Pastor is acceptable to some then when Scripture in John 10 and Psalm 23 attribute that title to Jesus .

Also wanted to point out that the the Orthodox and Coptic churches both have no problem with the usage of the term Father and priests being called that . The ancient church understood this , it is only post the Reformation that this is being interpreted literally .

And, of course, Anglicans are a motley crew; like a box of chocolates, you never know. But certainly Anglicans (carefully selected) call their priest "Father". I did today, 3 times.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:05 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
eddierulz wrote:

Besides, it is then ironic that Pastor is acceptable to some then when Scripture in John 10 and Psalm 23 attribute that title to Jesus.

Also wanted to point out that the Orthodox and Coptic churches both have no problem with the usage of the term Father and priests being called that. The ancient church understood this, it is only post the Reformation that this is being interpreted literally.

A 'literal' interpretation means that you interpret it according to the way that the first generation of readers would have understood it. What you mean is a 'literalistic' interpretation.

For example, if I say 'you are pulling my leg', the literal interpretation of this expression is 'you are teasing me or telling me a joke', however, if you think it means that I am accusing you of grabbing one of my appendages, you aren't being literal, you are being literalistic.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:05 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

As St Paul wrote to the Corinthians: "You have not many fathers; but by the gospel I have begotten you in Christ." (1Cor. 4:15).
As Dr Leslie Rumble, M.S.C., S.T.D. wrote: "He knew quite well that in calling himself their spiritual father in Christ he was not violating any biblical prohibition."
[Questions People Ask , Chevalier Books, 1979, #449]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:36 pm 
Eminent
Eminent

Besides, we address Pope Francis as the Holy Father.

It was nice to see him kiss babies.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:38 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Dear CRichards,
Is your Lutheran son familiar with the reality of how Jesus founded His Catholic Church?
That should provide much food for thought and lead to further examination..

Peter was singularly chosen by Christ to head His universal Church, and the primacy of Peter is shown clearly by Christ Himself:
All four promises to Peter alone
"You are Peter and on this rock I will build My Church." (Mt 16:18)
"The gates of hell will not prevail against it."(Mt 16:18)
“I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of heaven." ( Mt 16:19)
"Whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven." (Mt 16:19) [Later to the twelve].

Sole authority to Peter
"Strengthen your brethren." (Lk 22:32)
"Feed My sheep."(Jn 21:17).

Thus God the Son established His own one and only True Church. Thus it matters enormously, because only Christ’s Catholic Church has the fullness of truth in Her dogmas and doctrines. St. Ignatius of Antioch simply believed what God says: “Where Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church.” (Letter to the Smyrneans, 8,2, A.D. 107).

The evidence shows that Peter had exercised his supreme authority in the upper room before Pentecost to have Judas’ place filled. At the first Apostolic Council of Jerusalem Peter settled the heated discussion over circumcising the gentiles and "the whole assembly fell silent" (Acts 15:7-12). Paul made sure that his ministry to the gentiles was recognized by Peter (Gal 1:I8).

Jesus emphasised: “I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you." (John 14:15-18) "The Advocate, the Holy Spirit that the Father will send in My name, He will teach you everything and remind you of all that I told you." (John 14:26) "But when He comes, the Spirit of truth, He will guide you to all truth. He will not speak on his own, but He will speak what He hears, and will declare to you the things that are coming. He will glorify Me, because He will take from what is Mine and declare it to you. Everything that the Father has is Mine; for this reason I told you that He will take from what is Mine and declare it to you." (John 16:13-15).

As God the Holy Spirit is expressly named to “guide you to all truth” – that truth which God the Son had commanded them to teach all nations -- there can be no real question as to error in dogmatically declared teaching.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:56 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Off topic post removed by administrator.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:06 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Doom wrote:
Jesus wasn't condemning the use of titles. as such, he was condemning the haughty attitude of some who seek to heap honors such as titles upon themselves.

This.