Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 'Pope' Michael aka. David Bawden, Delia, Kansas
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:36 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: The carrefour of ignorance is bliss & knowledge is power.
Religion: The One with All the Marks.
Still holding on in Kansas...

I did not realize that he has written a few books. In July 2012 it was Upon This Rock: The Doctrine of the Papacy.

... (The) doctrine of the Papacy has been attacked from all sides, including from theologians who claim to be Catholic, but truly are not. First of all, one must consider just how a man becomes the Vicar of Jesus Christ. The method of election has varied over the centuries, and some of these elections have been irregular. The conclave came into being at the earlier part of the last millennium. What would happen, if all of the Cardinals were killed, while the Papacy was vacant? How would the Church supply herself with a Pope? This is not an idle question in this age of terrorism. This work contains commentary on the various Papal elections laws from history. Who is capable of being elected Pope? How do we determine who are papabile?...(Amazon.com)

Last edited by TreeBeard on Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Pope Michael aka. David Bawden, Delia, Kansas
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:14 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
That's an, ummm....interesting argument, or attempted argument. At some point, I think we have to believe, that if it comes to it, God will somehow intervene to miraculously save the Church if it comes to it. While it makes sense to consider contingency plans in case an extremely unlikely scenario like the Pope and entire college of cardinals being killed in a terrorist attack, ultimately, if our faith means anything, it means that extreme scenarios where the entire Church is wiped out are impossible.

One interesting example is in the science fiction novel 'A Canticle for Leibowitz' by Walter Miller. In this book, mankind has nearly wiped itself out after a nuclear war, and almost all human knowledge has been lost but what little has survived is kept in it little monastery in the desert run by an order of monks called 'The Order of Saint Leibowitz'. Leibowitz is a Jew who and an engineer who converts to Catholicism and founds the order named after him, an order dedicated to preserving as much secular knowledge as it can, especially knowledge of math and science.

Anyway, the book starts in the 25th century, roughly 600 years after the nuclear war, where society is primitive and people are largely uneducated. The narrative makes several jumps, each of 600 years, where we learn what happens as society begins to rebuild itself, until, by the last chapter, human beings are exploring space and....building atomic bombs and....destroying themselves all over again.

It is here in the last chapter that the book becomes really interesting, because the Pope, realizing that there is going to be another nuclear war, and that this one would completely wipe out all human civilization, prepares for the inevitable end of civilization by so he loading up a spaceship with several priests and bishops, and as much human knowledge as possible, led by someone from the Order of Saint Leibowitz, with the mission of colonizing another planet and allowing the Catholic Church to survive even after everything else has died. And so the novel ends with all life on Earth extinct, but one spaceship filled with people who will build a new world, a new society, and continue the Church on another planet.

I have to think that, if it comes to it, God will provide, even if it means loading up a spaceship and moving to another planet because the Earth has become uninhabitable. We are never going to be in a situation where we go decades without no bishops, no cardinals, no legitimate pope, and we all have to rely on some guy from Kansas declare himself Pope and save the Church. No, it will never come to that.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:43 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Doom wrote:
... We are never going to be in a situation where we go decades without no bishops, no cardinals, no legitimate pope, and we all have to rely on some guy from Kansas declare himself Pope and save the Church. No, it will never come to that.

And thank heavens for that.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:16 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Catholic
And a similar series of events occurs in R H Benson's "Lord of the World". Rome is destroyed by the new world government but enough Cardinals remain to elect the English priest as pope who then relocates to the Holy Land for the final battle. Can't quite remember the exact details now but I seem to recall only two or three Cardinals were left alive for the election.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:17 pm 
Eminent
Eminent

Pope Michael is a fake pope...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:01 pm 
Corporate Minion Moderator
Corporate Minion Moderator

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
lbt wrote:

You sure about that? :troll

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:26 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
ColdComfort wrote:
And a similar series of events occurs in R H Benson's "Lord of the World". Rome is destroyed by the new world government but enough Cardinals remain to elect the English priest as pope who then relocates to the Holy Land for the final battle. Can't quite remember the exact details now but I seem to recall only two or three Cardinals were left alive for the election.

"There were left three Cardinals alive, Himself, Steinmann, and the Patriarch of Jerusalem."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:34 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

lbt wrote:

Yes, I know. I changed the displayed subject heading to 'Pope'. Hopefully this will clarify what I think of Mr. Bawden's claims to the office and title.

Perhaps, in light of the recent popularity of the word fake, we should be calling him the Fake News Pope?

Post subject: Re: 'Pope' Michael aka. David Bawden, Delia, Kansas
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:24 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
There is a documentary :cloud9: https://popemichaelfilm.com :cloud9:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:34 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Yes, I watched it. Quite good. Doesn't make fun of him. Just lays out the story.

I wonder how many followers he has now. If it's more than a dozen or so I'd be surprised.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:07 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
FYI, if the College of Cardinals is unable to elect a Pope for whatever reason, then the College of Bishops gathered in an Ecumenical Council can.