Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Conservative Methodists?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:38 pm 
Master
Master

Religion: Catholic
Are they still around? I imagine I would like to meet a more orthodox Christian that comes from a strong Weslyian tradition. Perhaps most have left for other denominations...or became Catholic:) (or Eastern Orthodox).

Post subject: Re: Conservative Methodists?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:43 pm 
Corporate Minion Moderator

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
Nathan wrote:
Are they still around? I imagine I would like to meet a more orthodox Christian that comes from a strong Weslyian tradition. Perhaps most have left for other denominations...or became Catholic:) (or Eastern Orthodox).

How do you do, Nathan? :wave I'm Mrs. Timmy: former Methodist who left when it took that hard left turn in the 70's.

See, you've known one for years, and didn't even realize it! :mrgreen:

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:51 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Go to Africa.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:13 pm 
Master
Master

Mrs. Timmy wrote:
Nathan wrote:

How do you do, Nathan? :wave I'm Mrs. Timmy: former Methodist who left when it took that hard left turn in the 70's.

Ah, I was wondering if there were any that were still Methodists.

They're kind of an odd bunch in that they believe Grace is both imparted AND imputed.

Btw, I think Obi answered my question.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:03 pm 

Nathan wrote:
Mrs. Timmy wrote:
Nathan wrote:

They're kind of an odd bunch in that they believe Grace is both imparted AND imputed.

That response is also applicable for Anglicans and (in comparison to some) Catholics as well.

Commit to the Image

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:16 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Mrs. Timmy wrote:
Nathan wrote:
Mrs. Timmy wrote:
Nathan wrote:

That response is also applicable for Anglicans and (in comparison to some) Catholics as well.

I have never been to Africa.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:21 pm 

GKC wrote:
Mrs. Timmy wrote:
Nathan wrote:
Mrs. Timmy wrote:
Nathan wrote:

Understood. I was recalling that every time the Angican/Episcopal or the USCCB wants to effect a paradigm shift to the left, it always seems to be the the African clerics who fight it the most vociferously. God bless 'em!

Commit to the Image

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:26 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Mrs. Timmy wrote:
GKC wrote:
Mrs. Timmy wrote:
Nathan wrote:
Mrs. Timmy wrote:

Understood. I was recalling that every time the Angican/Episcopal or the USCCB wants to effect a paradigm shift to the left, it always seems to be the the African clerics who fight it the most vociferously. God bless 'em!

That they do. Bless their (relatively) low church Anglican bishops. And your guys, too.

I went to Tijuana once.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:44 pm 

Been to Mexico many a time, but never to Tijuana. To be honest, I don't care much for the border towns. To see the real beauty of Mexico lindo, you must go beyond la frontera. :fyi:

Commit to the Image

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:45 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Historically, Methodists have always been big supporters of social and political reform, it has been that way ever since Wesley. Methodists have always been on the forefront pushing social reform, according to the Wesley, pushing for social reform is an important part of the gospel

The paradigm shift wasn't within the Methodist church, the paradigm shift was within the progressive movement itself.

Methodists have always supported Progressivism, Methodists were part of the abolitionist movement, they were part of the feminist movement, they were aggressive in opposing segregation and Jim Crow, but before the New Deal, Progressivism was also explicitly Christian. The official theme song of the Progressive (Bull Moose) party that Theodore Roosevelt ran on in 1912 was 'Onward Christian Soldiers', and during his speech accepting the Progressive party's nomination for president Roosevelt declared 'we stand at Armageddon and we battle for the Lord'.

Before the New Deal, Progressivism was also a movement for moral reform, which is why many progressives were also prohibitionists, and they opposed gambling, prostitution etc. And let's not forget that the early civil rights movement in the 1950's was explicitly Christian, and most of the push for civil rights started in the churches. And let's not forget Martin Luther King and many other civil rights leaders of the time were ministers.

What changed with the New Deal is that Progressivism lost its Christian moorings and became secular and focused solely on political reforms with no interest in moral reforms. And in the 1960's, Progressivism became not just non-Christian, but anti-Christian, and this is what led to the changes within not just the Methodist church, but within mainline Protestant denominations altogether.

Methodism always supported Progressivism, always, ever since the Wesley's, but when Progressivism changed, so did the Methodism. Mainline Protestant denominations had been pushing the 'social gospel' since the 1880's, but in the 1960's, when the nature of the social gospel changed, so did the denominations.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:56 pm 

Martin Luther King was a Baptist minister, as were Ralph David Abernathy and Jesse Jackson. :fyi:

Commit to the Image

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:26 am 
Adept
Adept

Religion: High Church Lutheran
Church Affiliations: Church of Norway
Mrs. Timmy wrote:

Nathan wrote:
Yes, and St. Paul.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:42 am 

Closet Catholic wrote:
Nathan wrote:

Mrs. Timmy wrote:
Yes, and St. Paul.

FTFY :wave

Commit to the Image

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 2:44 pm 
The Exterminator

Religion: Númenórean Catholic
GKC wrote:
Mrs. Timmy wrote:
Nathan wrote:
Mrs. Timmy wrote:
Nathan wrote:

That's where the rain is.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 2:46 pm 
The Exterminator

Religion: Númenórean Catholic
It isn't just Methodists, all of the old mainline Protestant denominations are fairly liberal.