Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 3 of 4   [ 80 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: CC VS RCC
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:01 am 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Mrs. Timmy wrote:
FBC Atlanta is a member of the Southern Baptist Convention (Dr. Stanley was twice elected president of the SBC). Not knowing anything about Orland, I couldn't guess. Are you talking about Orland, CA? That's what Google got me, but all they had was a FB link which I can't access here. No clue on their affiliation, if any at all.

I can, however, tell you the difference between a Northern Baptist preacher and a Southern Baptist preacher. A Northern Baptist preacher will say "There ain't no hell." A Southern Baptist preacher will say "The hell there ain't!" :P

I am wondering if you are just pretending or if you genuinely don't understand the joke I am making....let me make it more explicit, is there anywhere a denomination called 'The First Baptist Church' to which all churches called 'The First Baptist Church' belong? If not, it is a rather strange naming convention.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:15 am 
Corporate Minion Moderator

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
Doom wrote:
Mrs. Timmy wrote:
FBC Atlanta is a member of the Southern Baptist Convention (Dr. Stanley was twice elected president of the SBC). Not knowing anything about Orland, I couldn't guess. Are you talking about Orland, CA? That's what Google got me, but all they had was a FB link which I can't access here. No clue on their affiliation, if any at all.

I can, however, tell you the difference between a Northern Baptist preacher and a Southern Baptist preacher. A Northern Baptist preacher will say "There ain't no hell." A Southern Baptist preacher will say "The hell there ain't!" :P

I am wondering if you are just pretending or if you genuinely don't understand the joke I am making....let me make it more explicit, is there anywhere a denomination called 'The First Baptist Church' to which all churches called 'The First Baptist Church' belong? If not, it is a rather strange naming convention.

No, it flew completely over my head, sorry. My daughter and her family are due to arrive within the hour, I'm taking three days off next week to spend time with them, which means the two projects I'm working on that are due next Friday needed to be at a certain point before the end of the day today. In other words, I was sorely distracted. My apologies.

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:29 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Catholic
Are not most "non-denominational" churches cloaked Baptists?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:31 pm 

Sabbath wrote:

Yes, but you'll never in a million years get one to admit it. :fyi:

Commit to the Image

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:24 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: The carrefour of ignorance is bliss & knowledge is power.
Religion: The One with All the Marks.
Mrs. Timmy wrote:
Sabbath wrote:

Yes, but you'll never in a million years get one to admit it. :fyi:

Ask the Protestant pastor what church he grew up in and, assuming he had a generally good early experience then, you will have some idea of the theology of the church he leads now. Also, with the rise of Pentecostalism it is not uncommon to find a lot of emphasis on the Holy Spirit in these "cloaked Baptist" non-denominational churches.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:27 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Right, they either cloaked Baptists or Pentecostals...is there any other type of church?! :P

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:57 am 
Adept
Adept

Religion: Christian & Missionary Alliance
"Non Denominational? Quit fooling yourselves. You're just a Baptist church with a cool website!" - Tim Hawkins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZuTjnU5C-s

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:16 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: The carrefour of ignorance is bliss & knowledge is power.
Religion: The One with All the Marks.
The Southern Baptist church I went to (a loooong time ago) did everything it could do to separate itself from its Baptist roots. The church's name didn't have Baptist in it. The Sunday School material was not Baptist. No Baptist events were posted on the bulletin board. The word Baptist was not mentioned on Sunday morning. (Although, if you went to a business meeting the SBC affiliation was not hidden.)

Anyway, a friend who had been away from the Baptist fold for a very long time came to the service one Sunday morning. After about ten minutes he leaned toward me and whispered, "You tried to fool me. This is a Baptist church, isn't it."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:47 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
i have attended one baptist sunday go to meeting experience since my conversion... i decided to go to sunday school and church on the sunday after my dad died, in his honor... it had been so long since i had been to a baptist service (20 years or so) , i couldn't even draw a comparison

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:08 pm 

theJack wrote:
"Non Denominational? Quit fooling yourselves. You're just a Baptist church with a cool website!" - Tim Hawkins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZuTjnU5C-s

:laughhard :laughhard :laughhard Looooooooove that guy!

Commit to the Image

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:14 pm 
King of Cool

Modern American evangelicalism is pretty much Baptist in belief, 'non-denominational' is almost always Baptist without the name, so is anything labeled 'Evangelical' e.g. The Evangelical Free Church' or 'The (location) Evangelical Church' etc

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:05 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
TreeBeard wrote:
From the first time I saw one many years ago, until today... I have always though that a "Second Baptist Church" was the oddest name for a church. Not that churches would ever admit to being in competition with each other, but who would want to be known as "Second"?

Philly has a (midly famous) "Tenth Presbyterian Church".

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:41 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lM9BR55nA2U

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:01 pm 
King of Cool

Sabbath wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lM9BR55nA2U

I like Lutheran Satire, but I've never been a fan of that particular video, which assumes that the mantle of 'reform' belongs solely to Luther and the Lutherans and that it is Luther's way or the highway. Sorry, but all Luther did was open the door a crack, once he did that, he can't stop anyone else from coming through the door. Surely, if Luther has the right to say that the Catholic Church is wrong, then others surely have the right to say that Luther himself was wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:46 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
The Evangelical Free Church in America is its own distinct body, not tracing its ancestry to the English Anabaptist groups which are the progenitors of Baptists groups in the US. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evangelic ... of_America

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:26 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Quote:
Doom: Posted Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:01 am
Surely, if Luther has the right to say that the Catholic Church is wrong, then others surely have the right to say that Luther himself was wrong.

Mere “saying” proves nothing – the reality of the facts is what is so important.

There was nothing "reformed" by Luther but a revolt to suit his own whims and fancies. An example of the logical result was the capitulation to the immorality of contraception by the Anglicans at the Lambeth Conference in London in 1930 -- exposed and corrected the same year by the great Casti Connubii of Pope Pius XI emphatically declaring contraception to be "a grave sin.” (# 56).
Those that didn’t like some of Christ’s teaching chose to substitute their own ideas – Henry VIII, Luther, Calvin – that’s why they chose to reject the truth of infallibility. Of those non-Catholics who see the fullness of truth in the Catholic Church many join Her, like Scott Hahn, and they become real defenders of the faith in the apostolate of the laity.

Lutheran convert Fr Richard John Neuhaus has pointed out that “Cardinal Ratzinger has said, I think very insightfully, that the difference between the Protestant and the Catholic understanding of Christian existence is that, for the Protestant, faith in Christ and faith in the Church are two different questions, and most Protestants never even get to the second question.” [Saturday, June 20, 2009, Fr. Richard John Neuhaus (March/April 1996).
http://wittenburgdoorinterviews.blogspo ... uhaus.html

The Reformation was based on Luther’s self confidence in his own abilities and his being ‘led’ by God to rebuke the Church. In justifying his own authority, Luther, at least at first, granted to all the same privileges. How else could he initially justify his own ‘authority’? It was on this ‘confidence’ in the common (and illiterate) man that Sola Scriptura (and thus the Reformation) were established.

Luther rejected seven books from the Bible because they did not conform to his selfist theological theories of justification by faith alone, his rejection of purgatory etc. It was Martin Luther in 1517 who removed seven books from the Old Testament (reducing the number to 39). Yet, for 1,500 years Christianity had recognized all 46 books of the O.T.

The tragedy is the scattering of the thousands of sects today all led by those who feel they know better than Christ and His Magisterium.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:47 pm 
King of Cool

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
The Evangelical Free Church in America is its own distinct body, not tracing its ancestry to the English Anabaptist groups which are the progenitors of Baptists groups in the US. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evangelic ... of_America

I fail to see how that is relevant, their theology is Baptist regardless, they believe in all the Baptist distinctives including adult baptism by immersion, the Eucharist being a mere symbol that doesn't do anything, once saved, always saved etc. The default theological position of American Protestantism is Baptist if a Church doesn't have the word 'Lutheran', 'Reformed', 'Episcopal', 'Methodist', or Pentecostal in its name, then the theology is probably Baptist.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:49 pm 
Adept
Adept

Religion: Christian & Missionary Alliance
Doom wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:

I fail to see how that is relevant, their theology is Baptist regardless, they believe in all the Baptist distinctives including adult baptism by immersion, the Eucharist being a mere symbol that doesn't do anything, once saved, always saved etc. The default theological position of American Protestantism is Baptist if a Church doesn't have the word 'Lutheran', 'Reformed', 'Episcopal', 'Methodist', or Pentecostal in its name, then the theology is probably Baptist.

Well . . . so much for the claim that you need a pope if you want a unified church. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:52 pm 
King of Cool

theJack wrote:
Doom wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:

Well . . . so much for the claim that you need a pope if you want a unified church. ;)

Truthfully, it would probably be better if I said 'Calvinist' rather than 'Baptist', The Baptist movement is Arminian in its theology, and Arminianism is just a subset of Calvinism. Modern American evangelicalism is nothing if not Calvinist.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:21 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Quote:
theJack Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:49 am
Well . . . so much for the claim that you need a pope if you want a unified church.

Since the reality is that it was the Christ Himself who mandated:
“"You are Peter and on this rock I will build My Church" (Mt 16:18), thus establishing St Peter as His Chief Vicar (Pope), the disunification has arisen through the rejection of that reality.

But some never learn.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 3 of 4   [ 80 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next