Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 4   [ 80 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: CC VS RCC
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:52 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Catholic
Faith0312
The Apostles, Popes bishops and priests used the Old Testament and taught what Jesus had taught them – the new covenant which the Apostles and Paul laboriously wrote down over the 35 years or so after the death of Jesus. They ordained priests and installed bishops, baptized, confirmed, forgave sins, witnessed marriages, identified heretics as the Acts of the Apostles records.

Until some years after the printing press was invented in the 15th century, Bibles were scarce and expensive because copied by hand - so often there could be only one book in a town but, nearly everyone who could read could read Latin. Catholic monks faithfully copied the texts, and the production and use of translations, corrupted to support false teachings, was condemned.
We know also, that the Scriptures cannot always guide us on every aspect of contraception, on capital punishment, IVF, cloning, embryonic stem cell research, and many other modern problems. The Magisterium does that.

Christ wrote nothing, but His Church gave us the New Testament and canonised the books of the whole Bible, which is why we have the Bible. His followers wrote the Sacred Scriptures. The books that actually are declared the inspired Word of God were authorized by Pope Damasus at a Council of Rome in 382, confirmed at the Councils of Hippo, 393, Carthage III 397, Carthage IV in 419 and canonised at the Council of Trent (1545-1563) -- 46 books in the Old Testament, 27 books in the New Testament – clearly showing the authority of Christ’s Church, and culminating in the defined Canon of Sacred Scriptures at the Council of Trent.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:33 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: The carrefour of ignorance is bliss & knowledge is power.
Religion: The One with All the Marks.
Faith0312 wrote:
... How do I answer This person on twitter?...

You don't.

Arguing religion in the Twitter format is an impossible task. Even here at DCF the people who run the board recognize that some people just want to argue, so just being disagreeable is not allowed. Rule 2 here is...

If you've come here to debate the truth of the Catholic faith with Catholics with the intent of proving us wrong, we're more than happy to answer those who merely want to understand better, but we're not in the business of providing a platform for anyone to attempt to draw people away from Catholicism. If you appear to be attempting to do that, the board moderators can revoke your posting privileges without warning.

Better to invest our time and lives in real people. There are plenty of folks in everyone's life who have misunderstandings about and animosity toward the Church. If you want to correct errors, talk to those people in your own life.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:41 am 
Citizen
Citizen

"Faith Alone", the banner that all Protestants claim to unite under, seems the only time they really unite under that banner is when attacking the Catholic Church, at all other times they're pretty much at war w/each other...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:44 am 
Corporate Minion Moderator

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
Sabbath wrote:
"Faith Alone", the banner that all Protestants claim to unite under, seems the only time they really unite under that banner is when attacking the Catholic Church, at all other times they're pretty much at war w/each other...

My dad used to put it this way: Six men wash ashore on a desert island. The two Catholics go off and found the Church of the Sacred Heart. The two Jews go off and form the Temple B'nai Hillel. The two Baptists go to the far side and form the First and Second Baptist Churches. ::):

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 am 
Highness
Highness

Religion: Syro Malabar Christian
Mrs. Timmy wrote:

My dad used to put it this way: Six men wash ashore on a desert island. The two Catholics go off and found the Church of the Sacred Heart. The two Jews go off and form the Temple B'nai Hillel. The two Baptists go to the far side and form the First and Second Baptist Churches. ::):

A person stranded on an island for years and later discovered, was showing his survival mechanisms. "That is my kitchen", he said, "That is where I sleep", "This is where I go to church" "And that is where I used to go to Church"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:41 pm 

::): ::): ::):

Commit to the Image

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:10 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
There are at least three different places in my city that are called 'The First Baptist Church', just how many 'first' Baptist churches can there possibly be? Does it make a difference that one of them is actually named 'Primera Bautista Inglesia'?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:22 pm 

Doom wrote:
There are at least three different places in my city that are called 'The First Baptist Church', just how many 'first' Baptist churches can there possibly be? Does it make a difference that one of them is actually named 'Primera Bautista Inglesia'?

Aw, heck, that's nothing. In Atlanta, you'll find the Second Ponce de Leon Baptist Church. That's Dr. Charles Stanley's church, BTW. :fyi:

Commit to the Image

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:28 pm 
King of Cool

Ponce de Leon? Why on Earth would anyone name a church after Ponce de Leon? A Baptist church especially, given that he was Catholic?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:33 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

From the first time I saw one many years ago, until today... I have always though that a "Second Baptist Church" was the oddest name for a church. Not that churches would ever admit to being in competition with each other, but who would want to be known as "Second"?

Why not pick the street name, or the area of town, or a local landmark?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:41 pm 

Doom wrote:
Ponce de Leon? Why on Earth would anyone name a church after Ponce de Leon? A Baptist church especially, given that he was Catholic?

It was originally on E. Ponce de Leon Avenue, a major thoroughfare through the eastern part of Atlanta and on into DeKalb Co. :fyi:

Commit to the Image

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:46 pm 

And I was wrong about Dr. Stanley. He's at First Baptist Church in Atlanta. Sorry about that.

Commit to the Image

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:55 pm 
King of Cool

TreeBeard wrote:
From the first time I saw one many years ago, until today... I have always though that a "Second Baptist Church" was the oddest name for a church. Not that churches would ever admit to being in competition with each other, but who would want to be known as "Second"?

I would assume that it was 'second' in terms of the date of its founding, not a rank.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:56 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Mrs. Timmy wrote:
And I was wrong about Dr. Stanley. He's at First Baptist Church in Atlanta. Sorry about that.

I should think!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:00 pm 
King of Cool

The question I always want to ask is whether the First Baptist Church of Atlanta and the First Baptist Church of Orland are part of the same denomination.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:07 pm 

FBC Atlanta is a member of the Southern Baptist Convention (Dr. Stanley was twice elected president of the SBC). Not knowing anything about Orland, I couldn't guess. Are you talking about Orland, CA? That's what Google got me, but all they had was a FB link which I can't access here. No clue on their affiliation, if any at all.

I can, however tell you the difference between a Northern Baptist preacher and a Southern Baptist preacher. A Northern Baptist preacher will say "There ain't no hell." A Southern Baptist preacher will say "The hell there ain't!" :P

Commit to the Image

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:27 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Doom wrote:
TreeBeard wrote:

I would assume that it was 'second' in terms of the date of its founding, not a rank.

I'm sure that's it, but what a lets-not-put-hardly-any-thought-into-naming-our-church reason. Has anyone ever seen a Third Baptist Church?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:28 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=c ... t+church&*

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:46 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=third+baptist+church&*

In fact, before I got bored, I had run the numbers through 6th, though by that time the names were mainly of Sixth St. or 6th Avenue. And it reflects the precedence of the naming. Though from contiguous areas, 2 miles apart, you can find more than one First.

Baptist churches also will be found named for streets, as is the one 4 blocks from me, or neighborhoods, as is the one my mother attended, and which retained that name when it moved about 5 miles away, Saints, landmarks, such things as Gospel, Grace, Bible, etc, terms such as Trinity, Biblical names such as Rehoboth and so forth.

It's likely because the culture is so familiar to me, but the puzzlement this brings to some people is a little surprising.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:28 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Thomist wrote:
Faith0312
The Apostles, Popes bishops and priests used the Old Testament and taught what Jesus had taught them – the new covenant which the Apostles and Paul laboriously wrote down over the 35 years or so after the death of Jesus. They ordained priests and installed bishops, baptized, confirmed, forgave sins, witnessed marriages, identified heretics as the Acts of the Apostles records.

Until some years after the printing press was invented in the 15th century, Bibles were scarce and expensive because copied by hand - so often there could be only one book in a town but, nearly everyone who could read could read Latin. Catholic monks faithfully copied the texts, and the production and use of translations, corrupted to support false teachings, was condemned.
We know also, that the Scriptures cannot always guide us on every aspect of contraception, on capital punishment, IVF, cloning, embryonic stem cell research, and many other modern problems. The Magisterium does that.

Christ wrote nothing, but His Church gave us the New Testament and canonised the books of the whole Bible, which is why we have the Bible. His followers wrote the Sacred Scriptures. The books that actually are declared the inspired Word of God were authorized by Pope Damasus at a Council of Rome in 382, confirmed at the Councils of Hippo, 393, Carthage III 397, Carthage IV in 419 and canonised at the Council of Trent (1545-1563) -- 46 books in the Old Testament, 27 books in the New Testament – clearly showing the authority of Christ’s Church, and culminating in the defined Canon of Sacred Scriptures at the Council of Trent.

Thank You!

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 4   [ 80 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next