Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: "Churches of Christ"
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:02 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Catholic
I assume this is a hyper Fundamentalist Evangelical branch, and one that is very anti-Catholic...?

Post subject: Re: "Churches of Christ"
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:48 am 
Master
Master

No, I'd say they span the whole spectrum. Some are more liberal and some more conservative. The dudes from Duck Dynasty go to a CoC church I think. They're all over the place too, a pretty decent sized denomination. I think originally they thought they WERE the Church of Christ, but I think this belief varies widely among the congregations.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:52 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXX6oE5kn38

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:49 am 
Corporate Minion Moderator
Corporate Minion Moderator

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
The CofC is abundant in the Deep South. There are some very large and surprisingly tony ones in the rather affluent part of Nashville where my office is located, especially when my usual word association with the CofC is "country" and "primitive" (not as in "backward," but as in "not endorsing the use of musical instruments during worship" - in similarity with the Primitive Baptist churches that dot the countryside).

But you're spot-on when you describe them as "fundamentalist" and "anti-Catholic." :fyi:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:44 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

The larger ones around here have adopted a more generic evangelical bent. In fact, they are hardly distinguishable from the mainstream evangelical world. The more traditional ones 1) believe they were founded by Christ 2) have a somewhat sacramental view of baptism 3) reject infant baptism 4) have communion every Sunday 5) shun instrumental music. The ones with the more evangelical bent tend to waver on points 1 and 5 favoring a more "hidden church" theory. Some of those will even go so far as to call Catholics Christians. Times are a changin'

My wife went to a CofC college for a few years as did her mother and grandparents. She had a few professors that always talked about converting Catholics and Methodists and they would cite countries with 97% Catholics as being 97% non-Christian.