Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 3   [ 46 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: How do you defend YOUR Bible translation???
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:47 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus
First off, I will have been a Catholic dude one year this Saturday Vigil, so I really do not have any clue what the best translation is for me.

However, I would like to ask you who would know, what YOUR number one choice of translations is, and why?

I have an NAB (St Joseph Edition), that I bought in a leather binding and had my name engraved in gold on. I like the commentary in it a lot! I am also using it for family tree stuff. I like this translation very much.

I also have a Didache Bible, and the Catechism footnotes are helpful.

Pretty much what I am interested in is the most accurate translation that reflects the teachings of our Church in some way in the notes, similar probably to the Didache, but not totally Catechism notes. I want historical/contextual notes as well, and anything to do with how I can better understand the Church's teaching based on the translation used.

In the past, as a Protestant, I preferred the NRSV, and as a youngster, had the misfortune of dealing with the KJV. Oh, here's one for ya - Dake's --> Finnis Jenning Dake, the statutory rapist who I hear claimed he was given full knowledge of the entire Bible (excluding what he would call the Apocrypha) by God, and that he was therefore qualified to write his own commentary. My mother and sister, who are Pentecostal and very stubborn use this Bible. The commentary is but somewhat accurate, but I have never actually read very much of it.

Also, if you have a "plug" for the "best" commentary, that'd be good info for me as well. :D

Thanks ya all :D

Post subject: Re: How do you defend YOUR Bible translation???
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:28 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
we've got an active dakist? dakite? on the board :fyi: :wave

do they also drift into that crazy fellow down in florida named ruckman...i had never heard of him until i came across a proponent of his in a facebook group

haydock's commentary is pretty solid, but not as extensive as i would like

http://haydock1859.tripod.com/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:09 pm 
Adept
Adept

Religion: Christian & Missionary Alliance
I use this one and this one. ;) [/smart alec]

On a more serious note, when I used a translation, for general reading I use the NIV just because it's easy. I'll compare it with the NKJV both because the translational philosophy is complimentary and the textual basis underlying the two are different, so major differences highlight any need to go back to the Greek or Hebrew. But if I am doing an in depth study of a passage--i.e., right now I am teaching through 1 John at my church--I really do just use the Greek text and write my own translation. I'll actually preach/teach out of the NIV just because it is so popular. It also lets me see quickly where any translational or textual issues might arise and how to handle them (or not) from the lectern.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:15 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

i thought there were major problems inherent with the nkjv... inclusion issues iirc ... am i remembering wrong?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:41 pm 
Adept
Adept

Can you explain what you mean by "inclusion issues"?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:33 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
theJack wrote:
Can you explain what you mean by "inclusion issues"?

He means inclusive language

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:54 pm 
Adept
Adept

Oh, well in that case, no, the NKJV doesn't use inclusive language. The TNIV does, but frankly, even that doesn't bother me.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:04 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

:), ok, the Greek & Hebrew texts linked to are very cool, but I don't happen to speak/read/write any language except English and Spanish, so I'm out of luck there! :P

As for the "dakist" comment, which I assume to have been in jest, well, I'd just as soon use a Satanic bible than Dake's. Seriously, I dislike it THAT much!! Finnis Jenning Dake was a rapist, possibly a pedophile, and about the most heretical fella in "that realm" I've ever seen. I believe he was Pentecostal, and as we probably all know, that particular flavor of Protestant-ism came about as a result of the Azusa Street revival, in LA, started by a woman. Right there are the three strikes to put that denom out of any equation I would even remotely consider balancing! :D :P

The Haydock(?) commentary link I bookmarked, and will have a look when time permits, and thank you for the link!

Also, my original question was intended for Catholic folks, so NIV, KJV, and NKJV translations would be ones I would deem unacceptable for me, along with any other Protestant translation, if for no other reason, they do not include the entire canon, and were likely translated by people whom even I would consider heretics.
Point being, I am looking for translations that would be promoted by the Church/Magisterium.

Thanks for the replies, and especially for the commentary link. I've been using the New Jerome Biblical Commentary a good bit, but it is a tad tedious for me. That's ok, but I do wish to look at other Catholic type commentaries, especially those who would have historical and geographical information, and/or historical references to both Church and secular historic accounts.

OUT

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:37 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

no, that was no joke... we actually do have a dake follower... he quotes extensively from dake's bible ... and his commentary

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:47 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
I don't think I've seen our Dakist recently.

I am not a fan of the New Jerome Commentary (nor of the old one, for that matter), nor of the NAB footnotes, all of which are far too heavily rooted in the historical-critical approach. Pope Benedict (writing as Joseph Ratzinger) had some comments about the h/c method in his book Jesus of Nazareth that I found very helpful.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:52 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
The NAB also lacks poetry IMHO.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:04 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

A "dakist?" Really? A Catholic?????? If so, I personally would find it to be oxymoronic as heck. The only folks I've ever personally known to use a dake's Bible have been some really whacky Pentecostal people who had a tendency to appear as if they were either passed out or having seizures at the altar of one of their churches, OR babbling unintelligible "stuff." Which reminds me, they have the entire "Gifts of the Spirit" thing screwed up anyway. No need to prove that here I don't suppose, but if anyone wishes a "proof," I'd more than happy to type one up.

New Jerome Biblical - was recommended in a book I read in RCIA, so I bought one. Like I said, it is tedious for me, and I appreciate recommended alternatives.

Again, all these replies are VERY appreciated, and please do keep them coming.

NEW QUESTION TO ADD: Dhouay(sp?) Rheims? Saw one at catholiccompany.com that looks and sounds really good, but have never even opened one. Input on that?

Thanks ya all :D :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:10 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Oh, no, the Dakist isn't a Catholic.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:35 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

if you grew up with the kjv bible and liked it, you will like the Douay Rheims

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:56 am 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
I have soooo many Bibles! I have some KJVs, one is an heirloom, another the Bible I carried as a young person and made tons of notes... the poetry books in the KJV is something that I grew up with, the KJV version of Luke's Nativity account moves me to sobbing tears.

For the poetry, I like the Jerusalem Bible, the OT books in particular.

After my conversion, I tried to love the DR, but, just cannot. I keep it as one of my resources, but, I don't just sit and read that one.

I let a set of the Anchor Bible go because I don't have the shelf space. All of my recent Bible purchases are ebooks.

Of the Catholic translations, I became a die-hard RSVCE-2 gal (what won me over is the Angel Gabriel's Annunciation reads like the prayer).

When it was released, the NABRE was shockingly readable without being dumbed down. That is the version I am most likely to just read for the sake of reading.

For footnotes and study helps, I like the Ignatius Catholic Study Bible - I have the NT and will buy the OT when it is released. I love the Haydock commentary. I still use Strong's sometimes (was raised on it). I've an Orthodox Study Bible that is an interesting set of footnotes/commentary.

Will buy the Didache if it ever comes out in ebook format, but, according to the publishers reply to my query, that ain't gonna happen. With my physical challenges, holding a large book is difficult and there is not always a desk/table around - sometimes you want to sit on the sofa or porch or in bed and read the Bible. Not to mention the size of the fonts gets smaller every year, so, I need to buy large print Bibles :oops: Ebooks just make more sense for me. I love that I can with the click open another version to compare, hyperlink to references, I can still highlight and make notes (notes that I can actually READ the next time!)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:52 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: The carrefour of ignorance is bliss & knowledge is power.
Religion: The One with All the Marks.
Whatever translation of the Scriptures you gravitate to, remember a few things:

- The Church was here before the Bible.

- The best translation is the one you will actually read.

- The marginal notes are not inspired.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:47 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

TreeBeard wrote:

try telling that to the pre-millenial rapturists who bought scofield's commentary in his bible and passed it down to the future generations that bought the same lie, hook, line, and sinker :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:56 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: The carrefour of ignorance is bliss & knowledge is power.
Religion: The One with All the Marks.
From a Catholic-Protestant apologetics stand point, that is arguably the most well known.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:59 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Peregrinator wrote:
The NAB also lacks poetry IMHO.

Have you read the 2011 revised OT? It is a significant improvement over the 1970 text, especially in the Psalms.

Here is the 2011 NAB OT rendition of Psalm 1:

Quote:

Blessed is the man who does not walk
in the counsel of the wicked,
Nor stand in the way of sinners,
nor sit in company with scoffers.
2 Rather, the law of the Lord is his joy;
and on his law he meditates day and night.
3 He is like a tree
planted near streams of water,
that yields its fruit in season;
Its leaves never wither;
whatever he does prospers.
II
4 But not so are the wicked, not so!
They are like chaff driven by the wind.
5 Therefore the wicked will not arise at the judgment,
nor will sinners in the assembly of the just.
6 Because the Lord knows the way of the just,
but the way of the wicked leads to ruin.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:01 pm 

faithfulservant wrote:
TreeBeard wrote:

try telling that to the pre-millenial rapturists who bought scofield's commentary in his bible and passed it down to the future generations that bought the same lie, hook, line, and sinker :twisted:

How funny. In my protestant years I went to Dallas Theological Seminary. We had the "Ryrie Study Bible" with similar notes. Actually I understand those notes were from his students over a few semesters, not himself, although I bet he probably edited them or had them edited. It's so funny how they complain about Catholics needing to have scripture interpreted for them! They "do it themselves" with study bibles full of notes.

-BHM

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 3   [ 46 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next