Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 31 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Is all Christianity anti-spiritual?
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 7:54 am 

Religion: Other
Has anyone else here researched the idea that Christianity is and has always been a system of controlling people and depriving them of genuine spiritual knowledge? I've had an interest in this theory for a while, and after researching it, it makes a lot of sense. Christianity encourages traits like submissiveness and blind obedience, and has worked hard to conceal information on true spirituality. I've found link removed by Administrator to be a good source for this.
Anyone else have an interest in this theory/good sources on it?

Post subject: Re: Is all Christianity anti-spiritual?
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 7:56 am 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
blackbird wrote:
Christianity encourages traits like submissiveness and blind obedience, and has worked hard to conceal information on true spirituality.

Begging the question.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:02 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic (Syro Malabar)
I haven't read that site, but let me say this:
This is a Catholic message board and many posters are Christian (including me). Some are converts and reverts.
We,then, as Christians, tell you about our faith: No, it is not something to control people. There is real, authentic and salvific spirituality in the Catholic Church. If you want to know about the Church, read Church documents, not what is written by her enemies. There are many who hate Christianity and call this hate an all-embracing love ....

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:05 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic (Syro Malabar)
I just skimmed the homepage. The author doesn't even seem to have read catechist texts for second grade, let alone, say, the documents of the Second Vatican Council.

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:44 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: The carrefour of ignorance is bliss & knowledge is power.
Religion: The One with All the Marks.
blackbird wrote:
... Christianity is and has always been a system of controlling people and depriving them of genuine spiritual knowledge ... and has worked hard to conceal information on true spirituality...

Please cite an authoritative Catholic source that indicates this.

- I try to have a little something for everybody in my posts. If you notice a spelling, grammar, or punctuation error... well... I put that in for you.

- I remember a lot of things. (Some of which actually happened.)

- Even the best of men may be born in times unsuited to their virtues.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:55 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

blackbird wrote:
... Christianity encourages traits like submissiveness and blind obedience...

Rather than assuming this to be true, might I suggest that you cite a source and ask a question? For example:

In (cite chapter/section of authoritative Catholic document or writing) Pope/Saint/Bishop (Name) refers to submissiveness, what does he mean by this?

Or... Does Catholicism demand blind obedience? If not, what kind of obedience does it require?

- I try to have a little something for everybody in my posts. If you notice a spelling, grammar, or punctuation error... well... I put that in for you.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:16 am 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
Yep, you made the claim, please cite the source.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:17 am 
Highness
Highness

Religion: Christian
blackbird wrote:
Has anyone else here researched the idea that Christianity is and has always been a system of controlling people and depriving them of genuine spiritual knowledge? I've had an interest in this theory for a while, and after researching it, it makes a lot of sense. Christianity encourages traits like submissiveness and blind obedience, and has worked hard to conceal information on true spirituality.

Carl Marx. Friedrich Nietzsche. John Lennon.

But our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, our Lord Jesus Christ, Philippians 3:20

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:19 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

:laughhard

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:25 am 
Master
Master

Religion: Catholic
blackbird wrote:
Has anyone else here researched the idea that Christianity is and has always been a system of controlling people and depriving them of genuine spiritual knowledge?

Sure. I now believe this notion is false, but what questions do you have?

Absolutely.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:33 am 
The Exterminator

Religion: Númenórean Catholic
blackbird wrote:
Has anyone else here researched the idea that Christianity is and has always been a system of controlling people and depriving them of genuine spiritual knowledge?

No. That would just be stupid.

Quote:
I've had an interest in this theory for a while, and after researching it, it makes a lot of sense.

No it doesn't.
Quote:
Christianity encourages traits like submissiveness and blind obedience,

This is just nonsense.

Quote:
and has worked hard to conceal information on true spirituality.

Balderdash. I would think that you have some notion of a "true spirituality". What is your source for this? What authority does it have?

These are all just ridiculous ideas. No one here is just submissive and blindly obedient to the Church. People who do adhere to Church teaching find that they are constantly having to defend themselves. They have to get educated on all these matters and make defenses for them constantly. Take contraception for instance. Hardly a day goes by that I am not challenged about it. From family members to the lady at daycare to random people at Wal-Mart, everyone makes it their business to tell you that you should be contracepting.

- Justice Scalia, dissent, King v. Burwell.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:24 am 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
blackbird wrote:
Has anyone else here researched the idea that Christianity is and has always been a system of controlling people and depriving them of genuine spiritual knowledge? I've had an interest in this theory for a while, and after researching it, it makes a lot of sense. Christianity encourages traits like submissiveness and blind obedience and has worked hard to conceal information on true spirituality.

I strongly suspect that you are never going to come back and that this is a 'one and done' post, so I don't think there is any point in even attempting to engage you because I will be talking into the wind. However, on the slim chance that you aren't just a one and done troll and will be coming back to read anything that we say, let me just say that you have set for us a basically impossible task, and I think you know that. To completely refute what you have claimed cannot possibly be done within the confines of a message board. The nature of the charges that you have leveled as so generic, so general, and so extreme, that to adequately refute your claims would require not just a single post on a message board, or even a single book, but a library of books. A full answer to your claims would consume thousands upon thousands of pages, and would be the work of a lifetime to read, and several lifetimes to write. And that is assuming that you have any interest in honestly engaging us and learning anything new. Which you probably don't. So, since talking to you is a complete waste of time for both of us, I'm done. But then you're never going to read this anyway so what does it matter?

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:12 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

blackbird wrote:
Has anyone else here researched the idea that Christianity is and has always been a system of controlling people and depriving them of genuine spiritual knowledge? I've had an interest in this theory for a while, and after researching it, it makes a lot of sense. Christianity encourages traits like submissiveness and blind obedience, and has worked hard to conceal information on true spirituality.

After doing my own research, I found the above website to be anti-truthful and anti-intelligent.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:36 am 
The Exterminator

Religion: Númenórean Catholic
Doom wrote:
blackbird wrote:
Has anyone else here researched the idea that Christianity is and has always been a system of controlling people and depriving them of genuine spiritual knowledge? I've had an interest in this theory for a while, and after researching it, it makes a lot of sense. Christianity encourages traits like submissiveness and blind obedience and has worked hard to conceal information on true spirituality.

I strongly suspect that you are never going to come back and that this is a 'one and done' post, so I don't think there is any point in even attempting to engage you because I will be talking into the wind. However, on the slim chance that you aren't just a one and done troll and will be coming back to read anything that we say, let me just say that you have set for us a basically impossible task, and I think you know that. To completely refute what you have claimed cannot possibly be done within the confines of a message board. The nature of the charges that you have leveled as so generic, so general, and so extreme, that to adequately refute your claims would require not just a single post on a message board, or even a single book, but a library of books. A full answer to your claims would consume thousands upon thousands of pages, and would be the work of a lifetime to read, and several lifetimes to write. And that is assuming that you have any interest in honestly engaging us and learning anything new. Which you probably don't. So, since talking to you is a complete waste of time for both of us, I'm done. But then you're never going to read this anyway so what does it matter?

::):

Too true. I would think a good response would be to assert the opposite and have this person prove it wrong.

Catholicism has ever exposited the truth and encouraged true spirituality as well as ongoing education and self-betterment. This happens, at least in the modern era, in an atmosphere of self-direction, not any outside set of controls imposed upon people.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 12:22 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

blackbird wrote:
... Christianity ... has worked hard to conceal information on true spirituality...

Well, then... What are we to make of this?

That "Christianity" must not be doing a very good job.

Why?

Because the "true spirituality" of I'm-spiritual-but-not-religious, l-believe-in-God-but, and I-worship-God-in-my-own-way is flourishing.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:39 pm 
Master
Master

The site is not a sound resource.

It proposes that Catholicism is the root of all Christianity (as opposed to Christ Himself.) It goes on to state that after composing the Bible with a fictional historical record of the Jewish people, the Church cast a spell on the Word of God so people would believe in it. We trick people into believing in the Bible through a series of sophisticated and deeply powerful spells that only someone well versed in the occult knows how to decipher and counter. After our masterwork of getting people to believe in the Bible began, we systematically, through the Inquisition, murdered and eliminated all sources of True Spirituality via the Inquisition.

I hope this poster returns so we can help answer some of his/her questions.

Last edited by Nathan on Tue May 24, 2016 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:41 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Nathan M. wrote:
I hope this poster returns so we can help answer some of his/her questions.

There is a greater probability that I will be elected the next Pope.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 2:57 pm 
Master
Master

Religion: None
blackbird wrote:
Has anyone else here researched the idea that Christianity is and has always been a system of controlling people and depriving them of genuine spiritual knowledge? ....

Define your terms. If the url provided is any indication, what you mean by genuine spiritual knowledge is "sexual liberation" and "black magic". In which case, yes Christianity is definitely against those sorts of things.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:06 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Doom wrote:
blackbird wrote:

:clap: :laughhard

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:01 am 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

It was a hit and run, as far as I can tell. They have not been back since posting.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 31 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next