Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]   
 Post subject: A question regarding Extra Ecclesiam Nulla Salus
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:52 am 

Religion: Baptist
"Those who, through no fault of their own, do not know the Gospel of Christ or his Church, but who nevertheless seek God with a sincere heart, and, moved by grace, try in their actions to do his will as they know it through the dictates of their conscience — those too may achieve eternal salvation" (Second Vatican Council, Lumen Gentium, 16).

I have always thought that because I understood what the Catholic Church taught (I am not ignorant to her teachings) but did not believe that some of their teachings were from God (I am a baptist) that I would be considered outside of the Church and destined for an eternal hell.

However, recently this caught my attention,

"Basing itself on Scripture and Tradition, the Council teaches that the Church, a pilgrim now on earth, is necessary for salvation: the one Christ is the mediator and the way of salvation; he is present to us in his body which is the Church. He himself explicitly asserted the necessity of faith and Baptism, and thereby affirmed at the same time the necessity of the Church which men enter through Baptism as through a door. Hence they could not be saved who, knowing that the Catholic Church was founded as necessary by God through Christ, would refuse either to enter it or to remain in it" (Second Vatican Council, Lumen Gentium, 14).

Is this saying that as long as I did not know that the Catholic Church was from God that I could still be right with Him (though of course not be in full communion and receive all the blessings e.g. unity)?

Post subject: Re: A question regarding Extra Ecclesiam Nulla Salus
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:04 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Yes. You could still be "right with Him" in the sense that you would not be guilty of it (ie. you're not sinning by not entering the Church if you're truly ignorant of it).

But nevertheless, you won't be saved. Because even though you're not to blame, the Church is "not merely the best path among many, but the one and only path to salvation" (John Paul II's address). There is no other instrument to save you with. If you're not in it, then you won't be saved.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:39 am 

Religion: Baptist
My question was more in regards to how to understand the following,

Hence they could not be saved who, knowing that the Catholic Church was founded as necessary by God through Christ, would refuse either to enter it or to remain in it" (Second Vatican Council, Lumen Gentium, 14).

What if one did not know that the Catholic Church was given by God (they studied it and truly did not believe it), would they still be in danger of eternal hell?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:51 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Sensus Divinitatis wrote:

Hence they could not be saved who, knowing that the Catholic Church was founded as necessary by God through Christ, would refuse either to enter it or to remain in it" (Second Vatican Council, Lumen Gentium, 14).

What if one did not know that the Catholic Church was given by God (they studied it and truly did not believe it), would they still be in danger of eternal hell?

Yes. Not because they have sinned but because they're not in the Church.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:01 pm 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Religion: Catholic
Sensus Divinitatis wrote:

Rejection of Christ's Church is still rejection. :fyi:

I think beng answered sufficiently, so I'm locking this thread since the EENS topic is not one for debate on this board. :fyi:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]