Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Oncesaved, always saved?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:07 pm 

Religion: Catholic
http://deepertruthblog.blogspot.com/2012/03/once-saved-always-saved-primer-for-ross.html

Post subject: duuuuude...we'be been there, done that...
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:27 pm 
Majesty
Majesty

Hey man, posting URLs, cool man cool.
Concerning OSAS, we've been there, done that
discussion and debate :)
What are your thoughts, DeeperTruth?
Roland

Post subject: ok, i will lead off...
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:09 pm 
Majesty
Majesty

Pre-1995 WCG/Worldwide Church of God, I believed that we could lose our salvation by evil choices, if done long enough, without repentance.
Post-1995 WCG, I am realizing that while God will never forsake us, never leave us, never let us lose our salvation because of man or beast or demon, He will allow us to evilly meanly throw our salvation gift away.
Since I asked for your thoughts, DeeperTruth, I am now giving you a short version of my thoughts.
I await your thoughts!
Roland

Post subject: Re: Oncesaved, always saved?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:08 am 
Adept
Adept

Religion: High Church Lutheran
Church Affiliations: Church of Norway
Deepertruth wrote:
Oncesaved, always saved?
No.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:50 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Deepertruth wrote:

Once Saved Always Saved? Not according to the Bible.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:16 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Deepertruth wrote:

Thanks! I shared with this with Facebook. I have some friends on Facebook who believe in this false and clearly heretical doctrine.

Personally, I hate this doctrine. I am pretty sure that this false doctrine has sent many people to Hell because they believed that once they were "saved" they could sin all they want without risking going to Hell. It gives you a false sense of security and therefore makes you more likely to commit mortal sins. I wish that this satanic doctrine would disappear from the face of the earth.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:32 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: As I understand it.....in God's will. This is the best place to be.
Religion: Byzantine Catholic
Church Affiliations: Past Grand Knight KoC 15107
Deepertruth wrote:

Yes. Once you are saved you cannot become unsaved. You cannot be unborn again as a child of God. You can, however, forfeit the inheritance of the Father and be cast into outer darkness forever.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:24 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus, SVdP
Once saved, always saved?

Yes.

The real question is what constitutes 'saved'? When am I saved?

Simply my declaring it, or my claiming it, does not make it happen. I am not God.

However, when I enter Heaven, and Jesus says I'm saved, only then am I always saved.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:27 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: As I understand it.....in God's will. This is the best place to be.
Religion: Byzantine Catholic
Church Affiliations: Past Grand Knight KoC 15107
Ancient Oracle wrote:
Once saved, always saved?

Yes.

The real question is what constitutes 'saved'? When am I saved?

Simply my declaring it, or my claiming it, does not make it happen. I am not God.

However, when I enter Heaven, and Jesus says I'm saved, only then am I always saved.

You are saved when you are baptized into Christ (Rom. 6:3). The Sacrament works ex opere operato every single time it is done in faith. Faith of the baptizand. Faith of the parents. Faith of the priest even. Just has to be done in faith and you are saved.

Furthermore, you cannot become "unsaved." Following the analogy of new birth, it is impossible to turn around and get out of Christ and back into Adam. It is permanent. That's why the Judgment will be much, MUCH more severe for Nancy Pelosi than it will be for some pagan in Africa who never heard of Jesus. She is completely culpable for turning away from Christ and spitting on the inheritance of eternal life.

Another way to say it might be that you were saved when you were baptized, you are being saved as you cooperate with the grace of God and the Holy Spirit, and you will be finally and eternally saved when you get through Purgatory (assuming you don't achieve saint status while alive) and arrive on the Golden Shores.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:10 pm 
Honeymoon King
Honeymoon King

Religion: One Holy Roman Catholic and Apostolic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree K of C, L of M
Holly3278 wrote:
Deepertruth wrote:

Thanks! I shared with this with Facebook. I have some friends on Facebook who believe in this false and clearly heretical doctrine.

Personally, I hate this doctrine. I am pretty sure that this false doctrine has sent many people to Hell because they believed that once they were "saved" they could sin all they want without risking going to Hell. It gives you a false sense of security and therefore makes you more likely to commit mortal sins. I wish that this satanic doctrine would disappear from the face of the earth.

Holly -- I have never met someone who believes in OSAS and who thought they could sin all they want. The real road to their damnation is that they do not see the value of the confessional and the gift of absolution with which Christ endowed His priests.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:24 pm 
Majesty
Majesty

pax wrote:
Holly -- I have never met someone who believes in OSAS and who thought they could sin all they want. The real road to their damnation is that they do not see the value of the confessional and the gift of absolution with which Christ endowed His priests.

Pax,
Me likewise; even when I believed OSAS earlier, I never believed I could simply: sin away! Fay's Share Jesus Without Fear and Promise Keepers even indicated strongly: WHY would any Christian want to "sin away"?!?!?
Roland

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:32 pm 
Honeymoon King
Honeymoon King

Religion: One Holy Roman Catholic and Apostolic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree K of C, L of M
RolandJS wrote:
pax wrote:

Pax,
Me likewise; even when I believed OSAS earlier, I never believed I could simply: sin away! Fay's Share Jesus Without Fear and Promise Keepers even indicated strongly: WHY would any Christian want to "sin away"?!?!?
Roland

Roland, my old friend, you need the confessional and the absolution which Christ has given to His priests to confer upon you. "And the people marvelled that this power had been given unto men."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:18 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Light of the East Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2012
You are saved when you are baptized into Christ (Rom. 6:3).

Jesus redeemed mankind, but each of us needs to cooperate to be saved. It is St. Paul, who wrote: “I fill up in my flesh what is still lacking in regard to Christ’s afflictions, for the sake of his Body which is the Church.” (Col. 1:24). What is lacking in Christ’s suffering is precisely what only we can do – take up our cross and suffer, repent and ask forgiveness, following the dictates of our conscience. [Frank Sheed, Christ In Eclipse, Sheed and Ward, p 105-7].
[See CCC #55].

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:20 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
RolandJS wrote:
pax wrote:

Pax,
Roland

I was also once thoroughly indoctrinated in OSAS (and before that, when I was a Methodist, I always thought that those who clamed OSAS were arrogant and presumptive). OSAS believers indeed do not think that they can "sin away"--one of their favorite verses to quote is Romans 6:1
Quote:
What then shall we say? Shall we persist in sin that grace may abound? Of course not! (NAB)

The KJV--the favorite translation among fundamentalists--is even stronger in its language (emphasis mine).

Quote:
What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? God forbid.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:22 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
ghall512 wrote:
RolandJS wrote:
pax wrote:

Pax,
Roland

I was also once thoroughly indoctrinated in OSAS (and before that, when I was a Methodist, I always thought that those who clamed OSAS were arrogant and presumptive). OSAS believers indeed do not think that they can "sin away"--one of their favorite verses to quote is Romans 6:1
Quote:
What then shall we say? Shall we persist in sin that grace may abound? Of course not! (NAB)

The KJV--the favorite translation among fundamentalists--is even stronger in its language (emphasis mine).

Quote:
What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? God forbid.

Then there's the Cajun translantion:

Quote:
Shall we sin so that grace may abound? Yes, and we'll call it "Mardi Gras"!

::): ::): ::):

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:45 pm 

I have posted with OSAS believers on other boards and I agree they do not believe they can "sin away." However, I do recall some stating you can become
"backslidden" so that your original profession of faith or being saved was not genuine. So I felt it was horrifying to to believe you could think you were saved for a period of time only to sin and be backslidden and not saved correctly.

That's why I feel blessed to profess the Catholic Faith; when I am "backslidden"
I have the sacrament of reconciliation.
Mary.

Post subject: Re: ok, i will lead off...
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:26 pm 

Religion: Roman Catholic
Quote:
="RolandJS"]Pre-1995 WCG/Worldwide Church of God, I believed that we could lose our salvation by evil choices, if done long enough, without repentance.
Post-1995 WCG, I am realizing that while God will never forsake us, never leave us, never let us lose our salvation because of man or beast or demon, He will allow us to evilly meanly throw our salvation gift away.
Since I asked for your thoughts, DeeperTruth, I am now giving you a short version of my thoughts.
I await your thoughts!
Roland

Hi Roland;

I'm an Old Timer and a bit slow. Are you saying that you DO accept OSAS as a possibility?

If you are my friend; your wrong. It is an absolute impossibility for at least 2 very good reasons.

First: it requires God to be "imperfect"; which simply cannot be.

Second it denies man the absolute right to amke full use of the thinhs that cause us and [man alone] to emulate our God. Gen. 1:26-27

Only man has a mind, intellect and freewill attached to our Souls. :D

Each of these things like God are Spiritual realities and eternal.

By and through these gifts man alone can know of God; can come to know God and can freely choose to hate or to love God. Making that decsion the very purpose of our existence.

Isaiah 43: 7 & 21 “[7] And every one that calleth upon my name, I have created him for my glory, I have formed him, and made him. [21] This people have I formed for myself, they shall shew forth my praise DR bible

OSAS denies these truths, and others as well.

God Bless you my frirend; please show me where and how I'm wrong. :)

working4christ

Post subject: I thought earlier I clarified I did not believe this...
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:27 pm 
Majesty
Majesty

Working4Christ:
I thought earlier I clarified that I once believed it long long ago, I gave that up some time ago, ever since being in the olde WCG.
If you're still interested, we can reclarify :)
Roland

Post subject: Re: I thought earlier I clarified I did not believe this...
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:58 am 
Apostle of Iraq
Apostle of Iraq

Church Affiliations: 4th degree Knight of Columbus
RolandJS wrote:
Working4Christ:
I thought earlier I clarified that I once believed it long long ago, I gave that up some time ago, ever since being in the olde WCG.
If you're still interested, we can reclarify :)
Roland

Wow, Roland! Flash from the past! Once DCF Always DCF!