Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 4 of 7   [ 125 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Where Do Catholics Get The Notion They Follow The Bible?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:52 pm 
Honeymoon King
Honeymoon King

Religion: One Holy Roman Catholic and Apostolic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree K of C, L of M
haparker321 wrote:
Popes Gelasius and Hormisdas reject this notion [the Assumption].

Parker -- I insist you present the writings of these two Popes rejecting the Assumption. Such documents, if authentic, would be life-changing revelations to us Catholics here.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:30 am 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Religion: Catholic
I think it is apparent that haparker cannot comply with your request, but I'm going to insist that he at least make an attempt or admit he cannot comply. We are all getting weary of his grandiose claims of superior knowledge with no evidence to support it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:35 am 
Honeymoon King
Honeymoon King

Here is the document in question concerning the Assumption: http://www.christiantruth.com/articles/ ... elito.html

It does not take a rocket scientist to readily see that it was written by a Gnostic or a Collyridian, and hence condemned.

Here is the document of Pope Gelasius condemning said writing: http://www.christiantruth.com/articles/ ... retum.html

Unfortunately, it is in Latin. I will wait until Parker translates it for us and gives us the relevant parts to back up his bogus claim that the dogma of the Assumption is condemned in that decree.

Your feet are in the fire now, Parker.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:37 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Evangelical
pax wrote:
haparker321 wrote:
Quote:
“If the Holy Virgin had died and was buried, her falling asleep would have been surrounded with honour, death would have found her pure, and her crown would have been a virginal one...Had she been martyred according to what is written: 'Thine own soul a sword shall pierce', then she would shine gloriously among the martyrs, and her holy body would have been declared blessed; for by her, did light come to the world."
Epiphanius, Panarion, 78:23 (A.D. 377).

1. Kudos for citing the sources; I couldn't believe you'd take me up on a challenge.

2. A.D. 377 (almost A.D. 400) shows there's a missing 400 years of history that does not make the doctrine 2000 years old. Furthermore, I do not believe all the fathers agreed.

Parker

You're concerned about 400 years of history missing, but not about 1500 years of history missing.

Do you think you could find a writing from a Christian in the 4th century talking about faith alone?

I can provide you a writing from a Christian in the 1st Century talking about faith alone.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:27 pm 
Honeymoon King
Honeymoon King

Calvinist wrote:
pax wrote:
haparker321 wrote:
Quote:
“If the Holy Virgin had died and was buried, her falling asleep would have been surrounded with honour, death would have found her pure, and her crown would have been a virginal one...Had she been martyred according to what is written: 'Thine own soul a sword shall pierce', then she would shine gloriously among the martyrs, and her holy body would have been declared blessed; for by her, did light come to the world."
Epiphanius, Panarion, 78:23 (A.D. 377).

1. Kudos for citing the sources; I couldn't believe you'd take me up on a challenge.

2. A.D. 377 (almost A.D. 400) shows there's a missing 400 years of history that does not make the doctrine 2000 years old. Furthermore, I do not believe all the fathers agreed.

Parker

You're concerned about 400 years of history missing, but not about 1500 years of history missing.

Do you think you could find a writing from a Christian in the 4th century talking about faith alone?

I can provide you a writing from a Christian in the 1st Century talking about faith alone.

And then from every century after that, or it is merely your own interpretation.

You really need to read this:

http://www.bible-researcher.com/luther01.html

Martin Luther wrote:
I know very well that in Romans 3 the word solum is not in the Greek or Latin text — the papists did not have to teach me that. It is fact that the letters s-o-l-a are not there.

He gives good reasons why he included the word -- because of how German sentences are constructed.

But, I ask you, is the method of constructing a German sentence enough to base your entire theology upon?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:12 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Reformed
Jackie wrote:
The Church does not say one way or the other if she died, merely that when the course of her earthly life was finished, she was taken body and soul into heavenly glory. We are free to believe that she died or that she did not die.

The problem is that the Church's teaching is nothing more than speculative theology; the magisterium has gone well beyond its boundaries to assert something that has no backing in either history or scripture. Hence, the doctrine is entirely baseless.

Parker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:14 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

pax wrote:
But, I ask you, is the method of constructing a German sentence enough to base your entire theology upon?

A German interpretation of the text is quite logical and straightforward; there is no ambiguity in the language itself. (e.g. 'Virgin' in German is 'Jungfrau' which literally means 'young woman') There really no ambiguity in the text.

Parker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:16 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

pax wrote:
Parker -- I insist you present the writings of these two Popes rejecting the Assumption. Such documents, if authentic, would be life-changing revelations to us Catholics here.

Pax,

Why should I? You haven't provided a document that shows a notion that tradition is defined as the Catholic Church describes it. You only cite sources that mention 'tradition' in the context; hence, the points upon this notion is completely baseless.

Parker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:20 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

pax wrote:
Unfortunately, it is in Latin. I will wait until Parker translates it for us and gives us the relevant parts to back up his bogus claim that the dogma of the Assumption is condemned in that decree.

Well the arguments you cited are coming from the same source I cited (Bill Webster); thanks for using the source.

However, seeing that this document Transitus Mariae is not an official document of the Catholic Church (or an ECF creed or commentary by a member of the Roman Magisterium), one should be quick to point out that this document has no basis for historicity or authority.

Who's feet are in the fire now? :laughhard

Parker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:44 pm 
Honeymoon King
Honeymoon King

haparker321 wrote:
pax wrote:

Well the arguments you cited are coming from the same source I cited (Bill Webster); thanks for using the source.

However, seeing that this document Transitus Mariae is not an official document of the Catholic Church (or an ECF creed or commentary by a member of the Roman Magisterium), one should be quick to point out that this document has no basis for historicity or authority.

Who's feet are in the fire now?

Are you seriously that logically challenged?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:45 pm 
Honeymoon King
Honeymoon King

haparker321 wrote:
pax wrote:

A German interpretation of the text is quite logical and straightforward; there is no ambiguity in the language itself. (e.g. 'Virgin' in German is 'Jungfrau' which literally means 'young woman') There really no ambiguity in the text.

Parker

All "young women" are virgins? What planet have you been living on? That is why we reject the word "almah" inserted into Isaias 7 and stick with the Septuagint "parthenos".

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:50 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Calvinist wrote:

Yes, we are familiar with such intellectually dishonest exegesis.

I've obliterated plenty of such arguments. I recall the perpetrator was Webster, Bugay (beggarsall) and Rudd (bible.ca).

And why are you reading the fathers through the lens of Webster, Bugay and Rudd? Go read it yourselves. You don't need them. You don't want to do the hard work? You only want quick result that favor the Protestant view because you're pre-disposed to the view that Protestantism is right and Catholicism is apostate instead of being neutral?

Or maybe if you read it yourselves you would become confuse and question your Protestant faith so you feel the need to read it through the lens of others?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:27 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

pax wrote:
All "young women" are virgins? What planet have you been living on? That is why we reject the word "almah" inserted into Isaias 7 and stick with the Septuagint "parthenos".

Usually, if one wants to understand the 'interpretation' properly, then one needs to let the context speak for itself. Even though 'almah' does not specifically have one generic definition, oftentimes the surrounding context determines what the word means.

Not all 'young women' are virgins; however, there would be other words to describe women who are young, but are not virgins. Back in Luther's time (and perhaps today), most young women would not be considered married or harlots because they were not sexually active.

Parker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:30 pm 
Honeymoon King
Honeymoon King

haparker321 wrote:
pax wrote:

Usually, if one wants to understand the 'interpretation' properly, then one needs to let the context speak for itself. Even though 'almah' does not specifically have one generic definition, oftentimes the surrounding context determines what the word means.

Not all 'young women' are virgins; however, there would be other words to describe women who are young, but are not virgins. Back in Luther's time (and perhaps today), most young women would not be considered married or harlots because they were not sexually active.

Parker

Well, does the Hebrew text say "virgin" or "young woman"?

What does the Greek text say?

Remember, the Septuagint, which is cited in the NT, is older than the Dead Sea Scrolls by about 200 years, and older than the Masoretic Texts by about 1000 years.

PS -- Are you really that logically challenged?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:31 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Quote:

Catholics should the last ones to do the talking.

Quote:
Go read it yourselves. You don't need them. You don't want to do the hard work?

Agreed, and in such circumstances I have concluded the following:

The Early Church Fathers does not define or use tradition in the same sense the Catholic Church does.

The Early Church Fathers did not espouse the Bodily Assumption as fact.
Quote:
Or maybe if you read it yourselves you would become confuse and question your Protestant faith so you feel the need to read it through the lens of others?

Only if Catholics can provide an answer to my questions.

Parker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:33 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Quote:

The translation can be used as both.

Quote:

Are you this delusional?

Parker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:41 pm 
Honeymoon King
Honeymoon King

haparker321 wrote:
Quote:

The translation can be used as both.

Do you not see how using the erroneous Hebrew texts casts a pall upon the Virgin Birth and is used by the enemies of Christianity for just that purpose?

Quote:
Quote:

Are you this delusional?

Parker

I was refering you to another post above.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:27 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Quote:
Do you not see how using the erroneous Hebrew texts casts a pall upon the Virgin Birth and is used by the enemies of Christianity for just that purpose?

There will always be ambiguity for interpretation with words in any language; however, the context will always win out. This is a rule in hermeneutics that get debated oftentimes because Scholars attempt to ignore the point. Furthermore, you are implicating that Hebrew (as a language) is insufficient for interpretation. Is that what you're pointing out?

Parker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:02 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Catholic
haparker321 wrote:
Quote:

Catholics should the last ones to do the talking.

We usually are and we are usually right (not individually, but the Church). Good of you to recognize that fact.

Quote:
Go read it yourselves. You don't need them. You don't want to do the hard work?
Quote:
Agreed, and in such circumstances I have concluded the following:

The Early Church Fathers does not define or use tradition in the same sense the Catholic Church does.

The Early Church Fathers did not espouse the Bodily Assumption as fact.

They definitely did. Read them for yourself instead of quoting someone who knows little.

Quote:

Only if Catholics can provide an answer to my questions.

Parker[/quote]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:46 pm 
Honeymoon King
Honeymoon King

haparker321 wrote:
Quote:

There will always be ambiguity for interpretation with words in any language; however, the context will always win out. This is a rule in hermeneutics that get debated oftentimes because Scholars attempt to ignore the point. Furthermore, you are implicating that Hebrew (as a language) is insufficient for interpretation. Is that what you're pointing out?

Parker

Saint Paul to the Bereans: "Christ was born of a Virgin. Look it up for yourselves."

Bereans to Paul: "It don't say 'virgin'. It says 'young woman'. Whaddaya tryin' to pull here?"

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 4 of 7   [ 125 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next