Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 5   [ 97 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: How would you respond -If you died 2nite where would you go?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:15 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
Calvinist wrote:
faithfulservant wrote:
Calvinist wrote:
St Veronica wrote:
Calvinist wrote:

Say what you will, but he's the product of 12 years of catholic schooling. His mother was a devout catholic, and his sister is a nun.

Yeah kinda like how you are the product of being raised Catholic and an altar boy but now believe in OSAS....error abounds.

SV

I've seen the light.

you have misled yourself into thinking darkness is light :fyi:

I'd have been disappointed in you if you hadn't said something like that. :)

always happy to live up to expectations...but you did provide me with the opportunity...and for that , i thank you 8-) :mrgreen: :wave

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:17 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Lampy wrote:
I don't know where I'll go, only God knows that. I like to think it will be Heaven, and I have followed the faith and I keep the Holy Family in my heart. I prefer not to focus on the afterlife, but to focus on this life and the good I can do while I am here. I think trying to turn religion into something practiced solely for the benefits that may, or may not, come in the afterlife defeats the purpose.

Totally agree.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:29 pm 
Deactived by request

Gracie2004 wrote:
Lampy wrote:
I don't know where I'll go, only God knows that. I like to think it will be Heaven, and I have followed the faith and I keep the Holy Family in my heart. I prefer not to focus on the afterlife, but to focus on this life and the good I can do while I am here. I think trying to turn religion into something practiced solely for the benefits that may, or may not, come in the afterlife defeats the purpose.

Totally agree.

I agree with that too. :cloud9:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:14 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Thanks for the helpful replies. Trusting in God seems to not be enough for this guy and others like him. He seems to have to have an infallible knowledge himself while denying infallibility. :roll: I think it is allowable to have a moral assurance that with would go to heaven as long as we understand that we could deceive ourselves. I love the St. Joan prayer:

If I am in a state of Grace, may God keep me there. If I am not, may God place me there. (St. Joan of Arc)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:26 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Evangelical
Thessalonian wrote:
Thanks for the helpful replies. Trusting in God seems to not be enough for this guy and others like him. He seems to have to have an infallible knowledge himself while denying infallibility. :roll:

Don't all catholics tell us that they infallibly know that only the church has infallibility? The question is merely what are believing in--a church that is 2000 years removed from Christ, or the Word of God that is 99% pure to the 1st Century?

The apostle John said that we could know for certain. My heart breaks for anyone that suggests we can't.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:24 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Nope, we never claim infallibility for ourselves. Good try, but no cigar. You on the other hand, seem to claim infallibility in knowing the Word. Strange how that works.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:25 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

but only because he knows the Word in context... :fyi: which of course, no one else does should they disagree with him :fyi:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:45 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Gracie2004 wrote:
Nope, we never claim infallibility for ourselves. Good try, but no cigar. You on the other hand, seem to claim infallibility in knowing the Word. Strange how that works.

Unless, of course, it's a debate over which church is the "right one". You guys are more than happy to tell me that the RCC is it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:15 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

faithfulservant wrote:
but only because he knows the Word in context... :fyi: which of course, no one else does should they disagree with him :fyi:

Isn't that amazing? And almost every Protestant I've ever talked too, felt the same way. They KNOW the meaning of Scripture, because they have the holy spirit with them, and anyone who disagrees with them, evidently doesn't have the holy spirit. How do they know they have the holy spirit? Infallibility of course.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:17 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Calvinist wrote:
Gracie2004 wrote:

Unless, of course, it's a debate over which church is the "right one". You guys are more than happy to tell me that the RCC is it.

Still again, you mislead about what "you guys" tell you. No one on here has ever, nor ever will tell you that they KNOW from individual infallibility which Church is the Church that Christ left on earth. AND yet, you continue to claim otherwise. So tell me, which holy spirit leads you to claim an untruth?

P.S....alot of us are not 'guys'

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:18 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Gracie2004 wrote:
Calvinist wrote:
Gracie2004 wrote:

Still again, you mislead about what "you guys" tell you. No one on here has ever, nor ever will tell you that they KNOW from individual infallibility which Church is the Church that Christ left on earth. AND yet, you continue to claim otherwise. So tell me, which holy spirit leads you to claim an untruth?

Who here doesn't believe the catholic church isn't God's church? I realize there are a few non-catholics on this board, but of the others...who doesn't believe it is?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:53 pm 
Honeymoon King
Honeymoon King

Religion: One Holy Roman Catholic and Apostolic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree K of C, L of M
Calvinist wrote:
Who here doesn't believe the catholic church isn't God's church? I realize there are a few non-catholics on this board, but of the others...who doesn't believe it is?

I believe the holy Roman Catholic Church and the Mystical Body of Christ are one and the same thing because a Pope infallibly told me so, not because I infallibly told me so.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:01 pm 

Authority ..it all comes down to authority.

SV

“Be sober and vigilant: because your enemy the devil, like a roaring lion, is roaming around seeking whom he might devour. Strong in faith, resist him knowing that the same affliction befalls your brethren who are in the world. ” 1 Peter 5:8-9.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:28 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

it always does :fyi:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:12 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus
And before one can submit to the proper authority, one must let go of pride.

I like this question better: If you were to get to heaven and see two doors, one "Those who know they are saved" and another "Those in need of God's mercy" which one would you chose?

I'm not qualified to judge myself, I leave that to God.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:35 pm 
Honeymoon King
Honeymoon King

Chris G wrote:
"Those who know they are saved"

Wailing and gnashing of teeth on the other side of that door :fyi:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:47 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Calvinist wrote:
Gracie2004 wrote:
Calvinist wrote:
Gracie2004 wrote:

Believing that and what you have said are two completely different things. We believe it because the Church that God sent us is obvious, a) from scripture, b) from the magisterium and c) tradition. Scripture is infallible. The Magisterium is infallible. Tradition isn't infallible as such, but the teachings from tradition, as long as they do not contradict Scripture are. So, what you are saying isn't what we believe. So, again, I ask you, which holy spirit leads you to claim an untruth?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:54 pm 
Honeymoon King
Honeymoon King

Gracie2004 wrote:
So, again, I ask you, which holy spirit leads you to claim an untruth?

FTFY :fyi:

And, by the by, Sacred Tradition is infallible.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:50 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

pax wrote:
Gracie2004 wrote:
So, again, I ask you, which holy spirit leads you to claim an untruth?

FTFY :fyi:

And, by the by, Sacred Tradition is infallible.

Thanks, Pax :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:36 am 
Deactived by request

Thessalonian wrote:
How would you respond - If you died 2nite where would you go? Heaven or hell? This seems to be the most critical question for the Once Saved Always Saved crowd.
They make hay of people who say "well I would hope Jesus will take in to account the good that I have done". You gotta be sure of your salvation. So how would you answer?

St Peter said it best. "But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect" 1 Peter 3 15

'Hope' (confident expectation) is the response befitting our human state of blindness and ignorance and it makes sense. We're told that the fruits of hope are joy and desiring God. Taking God for granted like taking anyone for granted, makes us indifferent in the relationship. Soul destroyingly.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 5   [ 97 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next