Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 13 of 13   [ 249 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
 Post subject: Re: ex cathedra statements
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:39 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Evangelical
beng wrote:
Let's cut to the chase,

Calvinist, you want a list of ex cathedra statements. This is what the thread is about.

Let me give you a non nonsense answer. There is no definitive list.

You want to yell, "gotcha" (per what Gherkin correctly pointed out), fine. Be my guess.

The fact is the non-existence of such list does not nullified the Catholic Church in anyway. It's similar, but not exactly the same, with the logic of you various Protestant groups of holding the same essentials doctrines but could never provide the list of those essentials doctrines. [edit]At least we have Denzinger[/edit]

Another important thing is that IF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH WANTS TO she could make such list. But she, yet, never feels the need to [make such list]. There are a truck load of more important thing she should do. Making such list would be priority no:5,361,541 (half of that are priorities that existed only after the 60's [hint hint]).

Is it unreasonable to ask for a list to at least examine? I've heard the accusation of seeking a "gotcha" moment a few times....instead of just assuming my motives, why not at least try to answer the question? If you can't, just say so.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:14 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
didn't he just do that... :scratch: there is no definitive list put out by the Church... Fr Kenobi provided you a list of de fide statements, not once, but a few times...why not just choose one of those items (should you actually have a problem with it), and use that as a basis for your "discussion"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:33 am 
Honeymoon King
Honeymoon King

Religion: One Holy Roman Catholic and Apostolic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree K of C, L of M
Try this:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/72890230/Dogm ... lic-Church

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:33 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Evangelical
faithfulservant wrote:
didn't he just do that... :scratch: there is no definitive list put out by the Church... Fr Kenobi provided you a list of de fide statements, not once, but a few times...why not just choose one of those items (should you actually have a problem with it), and use that as a basis for your "discussion"

to be honest, I was kind of hoping for a more "official" list of when they've been given. Instead I kind of got a list of general catholic teachings.

No worries...I honestly didn't really expect a real list.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:49 am 
Honeymoon King
Honeymoon King

Calvinist wrote:
faithfulservant wrote:

to be honest, I was kind of hoping for a more "official" list of when they've been given. Instead I kind of got a list of general catholic teachings.

The de fide teachings of the Church were given by the Apostles sometime between A.D. 33 -90. They have been formulated at various times and in various places. I will see if I can find you something that lists the Councils and Papal decrees of their formulations over the years.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:52 am 
Honeymoon King
Honeymoon King

Denzinger's Enchiridion is probably the best source for what the teachings are and when they were formulated.

http://www.catecheticsonline.com/SourcesofDogma.php

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:07 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
The book from which the list I gave was extracted gives all the details concerning the time and manner of formal definition. If there's one in which you are particularly interested, I (or someone else) can provide it. But the whole thing, as noted, is book-length.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:45 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Calvinist wrote:

You've got to be kidding. "General Catholic teachings?"

Have you even read the book? (ie. Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma by Ludwig Ott]

Do you have cash? You're not dirt-poor are you? Try to spare some and buy the book. If you want to know the real Catholic teachings, instead of its mis-characterization, and it's foundations in the bible and Tradition of the fathers (you know, the Early Church Fathers, men who made the Christian Church what it is, men who are smarter, holier and more pleasing to God than pastor Bob or even ex-Father Martin Luther OSA [Ordo Sancti Augustini] or one John Calvin), you'd buy the book.

If Protestant, or even Orthodox have the equivalence of Ott, I will work minimum wage to buy it. Why? Because it would be a hell lot practical for me to know what my opponenet believe (instead of mischaracterization of what they believe) and the reasoning (bible-wise or Tradition-wise). You would wish that you have such a book.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:12 am 
Honeymoon King
Honeymoon King

beng wrote:
Calvinist wrote:

You've got to be kidding. "General Catholic teachings?"

Have you even read the book? (ie. Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma by Ludwig Ott]

Do you have cash? You're not dirt-poor are you? Try to spare some and buy the book. If you want to know the real Catholic teachings, instead of its mis-characterization, and it's foundations in the bible and Tradition of the fathers (you know, the Early Church Fathers, men who made the Christian Church what it is, men who are smarter, holier and more pleasing to God than pastor Bob or even ex-Father Martin Luther OSA [Ordo Sancti Augustini] or one John Calvin), you'd buy the book.

If Protestant, or even Orthodox have the equivalence of Ott, I will work minimum wage to buy it. Why? Because it would be a hell lot practical for me to know what my opponenet believe (instead of mischaracterization of what they believe) and the reasoning (bible-wise or Tradition-wise). You would wish that you have such a book.

What you said there, beng, reminded me of this:

Pope Pius XI wrote:
[T]hose also turn aside from the right path, who think that the deposit of truth such laborious trouble, and with such lengthy study and discussion, that a man's life would hardly suffice to find and take possession of it; as if the most merciful God had spoken through the prophets and His Only-begotten Son merely in order that a few, and those stricken in years, should learn what He had revealed through them, and not that He might inculcate a doctrine of faith and morals, by which man should be guided through the whole course of his moral life.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 13 of 13   [ 249 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13