All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Why?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:06 pm 
Honeymoon King
Honeymoon King

Religion: One Holy Roman Catholic and Apostolic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree K of C, L of M
Why did Christ found a Church?

What purpose does the Church serve in the economy of salvation?

Post subject: Re: Why?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:27 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Catholic
Wow, Pax, that's broad. Are you looking for an in-depth discussion? Or a simple answer?

The way I see it, Christ founded a Church so that someone on this earth can be entrusted with the entire deposit of the faith. Someone must be a visible representative of Christ on earth, with authority to interpret Divine Revelation, to protect the Truth, and to save souls. The Church is entrusted to carry out the Divine Commission.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:21 pm 
Deactived by request

Religion: Catholic
pax wrote:

I understand it in a similar way as if you were to ask 'why did God create the institution of 'family'?

Second only to Church, is the family regarded as a sacred institution. Why then did Jesus say such as thing as 'you are all My mothers and my brothers' ? It certainly wasn't so that we'd deconstruct this important institution of family. I understand Him to have opened the way for the special relationships that thrive in the nucleus that is family, to be applied by us in all the relationships that tie humanity together.

What does the family serve in the economy of salvation? It is the sacred nucleus that guards the integrity of humanity now and for generations to come.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:28 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
ellietrish wrote:
pax wrote:

I understand it in a similar way as if you were to ask 'why did God create the institution of 'family'?

Second only to Church, is the family regarded as a sacred institution. Why then did Jesus say such as thing as 'you are all My mothers and my brothers' ? It certainly wasn't so that we'd deconstruct this important institution of family. I understand Him to have opened the way for the special relationships that thrive in the nucleus that is family, to be applied by us in all the relationships that tie humanity together.

What does the family serve in the economy of salvation? It is the sacred nucleus that guards the integrity of humanity now and for generations to come.

Luke 12:51ff

The common good of the perfect society which is the Church is God Himself. Not relationships that tie together humanity. The common good of the imperfect society which is the family is, in the context of sacramental marriage, ordered to the common good of the Church, to educate and build the faithful. The family is indeed a fundamental natural institution (though as such it is by definition not sacred, though as ordered to God as a sacrament it has a sacred element ). But I see nothing of help here, and certainly nothing along the lines pax is thinking of.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:43 pm 
Master
Master

Religion: Roman Catholic
Church Affiliations: 3rd degree KofC
The term economy of salvation in a broader understanding, deals with how God is related to his creation. In specific, it is his relation to the Church which is intrinsically connected to the faithful. The communication of revelation and the Church's teachings are directly related to the economy of salvation, most notably the Sacramental life of the Church.

"He acts through the sacraments in what the common Tradition of the East and the West calls "the sacramental economy"; this is the communication (or "dispensation") of the fruits of Christ's Paschal mystery in the celebration of the Church's "sacramental" liturgy." CCC #1076

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:44 pm 
Honeymoon King
Honeymoon King

Religion: One Holy Roman Catholic and Apostolic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree K of C, L of M
ExsurgeDomine wrote:
The term economy of salvation in a broader understanding, deals with how God is related to his creation. In specific, it is his relation to the Church which is intrinsically connected to the faithful. The communication of revelation and the Church's teachings are directly related to the economy of salvation, most notably the Sacramental life of the Church.

"He acts through the sacraments in what the common Tradition of the East and the West calls "the sacramental economy"; this is the communication (or "dispensation") of the fruits of Christ's Paschal mystery in the celebration of the Church's "sacramental" liturgy." CCC #1076

The Sacraments are good, but they are not exclusive. What they do and provide for the Faithful can be garnered in other ways. The same is true of the Church. While it is a good institution, it is not exclusive of other ways and means which bring about its same effect.