Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Found this from an EO website
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:15 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Agnostic
As many know, the EO always tend to critiscis the Christian west. I found this quote from an EO website that is directed at Roman Catholics and reformed Protestants.

Those who have this mindset tend, by nature or training, to see God always as the stern, unappeasable Judge, whose dealings with man are always based on law and justice, and who demands of us an exact fulfillment of rules and rubrics. And we, in fulfilling these, do not really hope for, or believe in, the transfiguration and renewal of our souls and minds. At best, we hope that our scrupulous fulfillment of the Law will induce God to overlook our flaws and sins which we, in our heart of hearts, feel remain always with us, unforgiven, unchanged, and unchangeable. In such an atmosphere, one’s spiritual life is not really a journey into communion with God through repentance and deification, so much as a dreary pendulum of efforts to appease an inscrutable and implacable God, interspersed with the outbreaks of resentment and frustration this causes us. Naturally, as you have observed, this leads either to a mental breakdown, or to the abandonment of participation in church life, which we come to feel is not “working” for us. This is not an Orthodox view of God. And having this false image of God makes having an Orthodox experience of God difficult.

Do you think the following is a far assessment of the Catholicand Western view of God? It comes from an EO website

Post subject: Re: Found this from an EO website
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:33 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: Endow facilitator
I'm curious who and what the author means, exactly, by "[t]hose who have this mindset..."

I don't know about the "Western" view (since I'm not sure who would make up the "Western" group), but that's not the "Catholic" view. It's certainly not what the Church teaches about God. :(

But curious why you're seeking to find out what Catholics believe from non-Catholic sources... :scratch:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:10 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHpU0ZfXZ_g

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:32 pm 
Neener Queen
Neener Queen

Vinny, I read that quote that you posted, and my initial thought is they must not have read anything written by the popes. God's Mercy and Love are interwoven throughout their writings. Fair assessment of the Catholic and Western view of God? No. The author states "this is not an Orthodox view of God." And it certainly isn't the Catholic view either.

I am sure there are those out there (even in the Orthodox Church) who focus their faith upon Judgment (but remember Christ is indeed the Just Judge and will come to judge the living and the dead.) The difference for most is that by being in obedience to the "rules and rubrics" do so out of love for God and for the Bride of Christ. After all, God thought rules and rubrics were important enough to give us the Ten Commandments, so it certainly isn't meant to be an anarchic religion.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:23 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Catholic Rose wrote:
I'm curious who and what the author means, exactly, by "[t]hose who have this mindset..."

I don't know about the "Western" view (since I'm not sure who would make up the "Western" group), but that's not the "Catholic" view. It's certainly not what the Church teaches about God. :(

But curious why you're seeking to find out what Catholics believe from non-Catholic sources... :scratch:

What does the Catholic church teach about God? Can you give me some quotes from official catholic sources that prove that quotation wrong?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:41 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Almost everything Pope Francis has said in the last year. Not that he said anything new, but it's easily findable.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:45 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/john_ ... ia_en.html

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:46 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

http://www.ccel.org/browse/bookInfo?id=desales/love

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:49 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I'm sure there's more, but those are the things that occurred to me pretty much off the top of my head. Now I will turn the question about: Other than a bilious quotation from an Eastern Orthodox source, what good reason do you have to think that your original quotation is true? Why should I (or anyone else) be at pains to refute it?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:59 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

OK, one more: In 1713, Pope Clement XI declared a series of statements to be "false, captious, evil-sounding, offensive to pious ears, scandalous, pernicious, rash, injurious to the Church and her practice, insulting not only to the Church but also the secular powers seditious, impious, blasphemous, suspected of heresy, and smacking of heresy itself."

Here's one of them (remember that the Holy Father was declaring this to be WRONG): "Servile fear does not represent God to itself except as a stern imperious, unjust, unyielding master."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:17 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I could also point to the widespread popularity of devotions to the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the devotion to Divine Mercy.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:29 am 
Neener Queen
Neener Queen

Quote:
hat does the Catholic church teach about God? Can you give me some quotes from official catholic sources that prove that quotation wrong?

I find it ironic that you are going to Orthodox website to find out what Catholicism is about. If you really want to learn what the Catholic Church really teaches, there certainly are plenty of good Catholic websites and books within easy reach to learn from. Including the official Vatican site that has already been provided to you and has everything you might want including the Catechism. Why should we do your homework for you?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:33 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NxMlG3M40k

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:15 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Just give me some websites or books which deal with the subject of divine mercy in Catholicism and I would be more that happy to read them. Does anyone know if Newadvent has an article on divine mercy?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:21 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
I'm sure there's more, but those are the things that occurred to me pretty much off the top of my head. Now I will turn the question about: Other than a bilious quotation from an Eastern Orthodox source, what good reason do you have to think that your original quotation is true? Why should I (or anyone else) be at pains to refute it?

Bump.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:29 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fcfNcn-0J8

:fyi:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:13 am 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
vinny213 wrote:
Just give me some websites or books which deal with the subject of divine mercy in Catholicism

This has already been done.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:42 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: The carrefour of ignorance is bliss & knowledge is power.
Religion: The One with All the Marks.
vinny213 wrote:
Do you think the following is a far assessment of the Catholic and Western view of God? It comes from an EO website

No, because the original letter was written about Calvinism and Jansenism, not Catholicism.

If Jansenism is her code for Catholicism, then my answer is still, “No.” Her characterization of non-Orthodox religions is nothing but over-generalizations, half-truths, and canards as “moralistic nitpicking, pride, secretiveness, lack of faith in God, and lack of belief in the compassion of God” is to be found just as much among the Orthodox as among Catholics or Protestants; and I know of nothing in Catholic teaching that supports any of her depiction.

Do I assume correctly that this is your source(?): A Letter from an Orthodox Nun to a Former Calvinist