Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 8 of 34   [ 673 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 34  Next
 Post subject: Re: A test for Sola Scripturists
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:37 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
I had a really good reply on the other thread but Siggy locked it so I'll post it here.

haparker321 wrote:
I would however would like to add the additional scriptural passages that suggest (by implication) that the Word of God is sufficient enough to be the sole source the Church can go to for faith and practice.

That would be a trick worthy of Harry Houdini. But's lets see if you can offer anything new...

Quote:
Proverbs 30:5 "Every word of God proves true; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him."
Its says "true", no argument there. But nowhere does it say "sufficient".

Quote:
Hebrews 4:12 "For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and spirit, of joints and marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart."

Nothing about "sufficient" here either.

Quote:
Matthew 4:4 "[4] But he answered, "It is written, `Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.'"

Amen! But nowhere does it say anything about the Bible alone being "sufficient".

Quote:
2 Timothy 3:16 "All scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness..."

"All scripture is inspired by God"-Amen! again. But nowhere in that verse does it say that the Bible alone is "sufficient".

In fact this is a classic example of providing a "proof-text" that proves too much. The "scriptures" that Paul is referring to is the only "scriptures" that Paul and Timothy had at the time: the Septuagint. The NT was not in existence yet as a collected whole so it is impossible to assume that that is what Paul meant.

So you then are making the assertion, according to this verse, that the OT alone is sufficient and authoritative.

Quote:
Deuteronomy 8:3 "And he humbled you and let you hunger and fed you with manna, which you did not know, nor did your fathers know; that he might make you know that man does not live by bread alone, but that man lives by everything that proceeds out of the mouth of the LORD. "

This is a reiteration of Matthew 4:4, already refuted.

Quote:
Jos. 8:8 "And when you have taken the city, you shall set the city on fire, doing as the LORD has bidden; see, I have commanded you."

Still, nothing saying that scripture alone is sufficient.

haparker321 wrote:
(Note: Joshua's obedience/actions were done so according to whatever God said, i.e. his word. By implication, it shows that we are to follow whatever source is his Word.)

Your note is assuming Sola Scriptura. This is circular logic.

Quote:
Acts 13:44 "The next sabbath almost the whole city gathered together to hear the word of God."

Again, says nothing about the Bible alone being sufficient.

Now, please answer my scripture citations:

Chrst instituted a Church.

This Church has four marks: The Church is One ( Acts 4:32; 1 Cor 1:10; Phil 2:2 )

The Church is Holy(Rom 11:16; 1 Cor 3:17; 1 Cor 6:19; Eph 5:27; Col 1:22; Tit 1:8; 1 Pet 2:9 )

The Church is Universal(Catholic) (1 Cor 1:2; 1 Cor 4:17; 1 Cor 7:17; 1 Cor 12:28 )

The Church is Apostolic: (Acts 2:42).

The authority of the Apostles is the authority of Christ Himself. And they passed this authority to those whom they discipled.(Luke 10:16; 1 Thes 2:13; 2 Tim 2:2; 1 John 4:6).

Matt 28:18 And Jesus came and said to them, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me."

& John 20:21 Jesus said to them again, "Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, even so I send you."

Jesus gives His authority to men. Men that He chose, but men nontheless.

The Church has the promise of the Holy Spirit (John 20:22; John 14:26; John 16:13; Acts 15:28 ), not just any believer(Rom 8:9).

The Church is the fullness of Christ (Eph 1:22-23).

The Church is the pillar and bulwark of the Truth(1 Tim 3:15).

The Church is the Body of Christ(1 Cor 12:27).

Christ gave these men-the Apostles-the authority to forgive sins in His name(Matt 9:8; John 20:23).

He gave them the authority to expel those who persist in disobedience(Matt 18:16-19; 1 Cor 5:4-5).

This authority was passed on from the apostles to other approved men(2 Tim 2:2; Titus 1:5).

Those who are God's people listen to those men whom God has appointed(1 John 4:6).

This Church is headed by Peter whom Christ identified with Himself(Matt 16:17-19; Acts 15:7).

One of these men who was ordained bishop by both Peter and John was Ignatius of Antioch.

What did one who sat at the feet of John the evangelist have to say about the Church and those who are outside of it?

"For as many as are of God and of Jesus Christ are also with the bishop. And as many as shall, in the exercise of repentance, return into the unity of the Church, these, too, shall belong to God, that they may live according to Jesus Christ. Do not err, my brethren. If any man follows him that makes a schism in the Church, he shall not inherit the kingdom of God. If any one walks according to a strange opinion, he agrees not with the passion [of Christ.]."(Letter to the Philadelphians, chpt 3)

&
"I exhort you to study to do all things with a divine harmony, while your bishop presides in the place of God, and your presbyters in the place of the assembly of the apostles, along with your deacons, who are most dear to me, and are entrusted with the ministry of Jesus Christ, who was with the Father before the beginning of time, and in the end was revealed."(Letter to the Magnesians, chpt 6)

&
"In like manner, let all reverence the deacons as an appointment of Jesus Christ, and the bishop as Jesus Christ, who is the Son of the Father, and the presbyters as the sanhedrim of God, and assembly of the apostles. Apart from these, there is no Church."(Letter to the Trallians, chpt 3)

& lastly...
"Be on your guard, therefore, against such persons. And this will be the case with you if you are not puffed up, and continue in intimate union with Jesus Christ our God, and the bishop, and the enactments of the apostles. He that is within the altar is pure, but he that is without is not pure; that is, he who does anything apart from the bishop, and presbytery, and deacons, such a man is not pure in his conscience."(Letter to the Trallians, chpt 7).

Christ is the husband of His bride: the Church.

The Bible, especially the NT, presupposes the existence of the Church. It does not consititute the Church or act as its "handbook".

Lets put it this way. If after your entire life someone gathered up all of your family letters into a book and then said that this book contains everything pertaining to your family and that was sufficient for any subsequent generation. You of course would say that such a statement is rediculous, that those letters come nowhere close to covering everything that your family had done during your life.

Understand that and you might come close to understanding the absurdity of Sola Scriptura; aside from the fact that nowhere is it taught in the Bible!

God Bless.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 10:13 pm 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

From the Catholic Encyclopedia:

Quote:
The belief in the Bible as the sole source of faith is unhistorical, illogical, fatal to the virtue of faith, and destructive of unity.

It is unhistorical. No one denies the fact that Christ and the Apostles founded the Church by preaching and exacting faith in their doctrines. No book told as yet of the Divinity of Christ, the redeeming value of His Passion, or of His coming to judge the world; these and all similar revelations had to be believed on the word of the Apostles, who were, as their powers showed, messengers from God. And those who received their word did so solely on authority. As immediate, implicit submission of the mind was in the lifetime of the Apostles the only necessary token of faith, there was no room whatever for what is now called private judgment. This is quite clear from the words of Scripture: "Therefore, we also give thanks to God without ceasing: because, that when you had received of us the word of the hearing of God, you received it not as the word of men, but (as it is indeed) the word of God" (1 Thessalonians 2:13). The word of hearing is received through a human teacher and is believed on the authority of God, who is its first author (cf. Romans 10:17). But, if in the time of the Apostles, faith consisted in submitting to authorized teaching, it does so now; for the essence of things never changes and the foundation of the Church and of our salvation is immovable.

Again, it is illogical to base faith upon the private interpretation of a book. For faith consists in submitting; private interpretation consists in judging. In faith by hearing, the last word rests with the teacher; in private judgment it rests with the reader, who submits the dead text of Scripture to a kind of post-mortem examination and delivers a verdict without appeal: he believes in himself rather than in any higher authority. But such trust in one's own light is not faith. Private judgment is fatal to the theological virtue of faith. John Henry Newman says "I think I may assume that this virtue, which was exercised by the first Christians, is not known at all amongst Protestants now; or at least if there are instances of it, it is exercised toward those, I mean their teachers and divines, who expressly disclaim that they are objects of it, and exhort their people to judge for themselves" ("Discourses to Mixed Congregations", Faith and Private Judgment). And in proof he advances the instability of Protestant so-called faith: "They are as children tossed to and fro and carried along by every gale of doctrine. If they had faith they would not change. They look upon the simple faith of Catholics as if unworthy the dignity of human nature, as slavish and foolish". Yet upon that simple, unquestioning faith the Church was built up and is held together to this day.

Where absolute reliance on God's word, proclaimed by his accredited ambassadors, is wanting, i.e. where there is not the virtue of faith, there can be no unity of Church. It stands to reason, and Protestant history confirms it. The "unhappy divisions", not only between sect and sect but within the same sect, have become a byword. They are due to the pride of private intellect, and they can only be healed by humble submission to a Divine authority. .

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 2:57 am 
Adept
Adept

Religion: High Church Lutheran
Church Affiliations: Church of Norway
haparker321 wrote:
Signum Crucis wrote:
Provide me a list of infallible books in the infallible Bible and prove to me the infallibility of the list. And since the Bible is your only infallible authority, where does the Bible says that the individual writings contained within are infallible and inspired?

Could you actually offer anything more legitimate than the 'Golden Index'? Tell me, do you think the Holy Spirit provided the Catholic Church the 'Golden-Index' or did they use the same hermeneutical approaches the Protestants do?
Translation: I have no way of answering this challenge, therefore I try to create a smoke screen by appearing to be 'intellectual' - and failing miserably.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 10:20 am 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Why does Parker have to have a definition of sola scriptura in order to answer those questions in the OP? Either he can answer them using scripture alone or he can't. He keeps saying that he has to have a definition of SS. Sounds like an excuse not to answer to me.

So, here we go. Parker, the definition of SS in the OP is that you must answer the questions using only the Bible as your source. You can't use anything or anybody else. Are we on the same page now?

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 11:36 am 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

I believe that Parker's definition of sola scriptura is simply using the Bible as one's authority to justify the beliefs that they hold.

Sounds like proof-texting to me. ::):

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:39 am 

Religion: non denominational
Signum Crucis wrote:
Provide me a list of infallible books in the infallible Bible and prove to me the infallibility of the list. And since the Bible is your only infallible authority, where does the Bible says that the individual writings contained within are infallible and inspired?

Since The Bible is the Word of God and Christ is that Word,it stands to reason that it is in fact,infallible...

With that said,let's see what the written Word says of the Word.............

"I HAVE GIVEN THEM THY WORD"

is the all-sufficient assurance of the Lord Jesus Christ, speaking to the Father. He did not say I have given them Aids to devotion. He did not say I have given them a Hymn-book, or I have given them thy Word AND something else.

He did not give anything instead of, or in addition to, that Word.

And that being so, we are assured that the Word which He gave is all-sufficient, in itself, to accomplish all the purposes of God.

The Word that is preached makes known the Written Word; the Word that is written makes known Christ the Living Word; and Christ makes known God our Father.

iii. Hence it is, that the same things are stated of both the Living and the Written Word, as it is well put by Joseph Hart:—

The Scriptures and the Word
Bear one tremendous name,
The Living and the Written Word
In all things are the same.
This may be seen by noting carefully, in our reading, how precisely the same things are predicated of both one and the other.

We give a few by way of example:—

SIMILAR PREDICATES OF "CHRIST" AND "THE SCRIPTURES."
"His name is called THE WORD OF God," Rev 19:13.
They "pressed upon Him to hear THE WORD OF God," Luke 5:1.

The Prince of PEACE, Isa 9:6.
The Gospel of PEACE, Rom 10:15.

Jesus said,..."No man cometh unto the Father, but BY ME," John 14:6.
"Make me to go in the PATH of Thy Commandments," Psa 119:35.

"Jesus saith unto him, I am THE WAY," John 14:6.
"Teach me, O Lord, THE WAY of Thy statutes," Psa 119:33.

"I am...THE TRUTH," John 14:6.
"Thy Word is TRUTH," John 17:17.

Christ—"Full of grace and TRUTH," John 1:14.
"All Thy Commandments are TRUTH," Psa 119:151.

"These things saith He...that is TRUE," Rev 3:7.
"The Judgments of the Lord are TRUE," Psa 19:9.

"Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal LIFE," 1 John 5:20.
"Holding forth the Word of LIFE," Phil 2:16.

"A bone of Him shall not be broken," John 19:36.
"The scripture cannot be broken," John 10:35.

"I am the Living Bread...if any man eat of this Bread he shall LIVE for ever," John 6:51.
"Man shall not LIVE by bread alone, but by every Word of God," Luke 4:4.

"With Thee is the FOUNTAIN OF LIFE," Psa 36:9.
"Thy Law...is a FOUNTAIN OF LIFE," Prov 13:14.

Jesus said, "I am the LIGHT of the World," John 8:12.
David said, "Thy Word is a LIGHT unto my path," Psa 119:105.

"The Life was the LIGHT," John 1:4.
"The Law is LIGHT," Prov 6:23.

"Thou art my LAMP, O Lord," 2 Sam 22:29.
"Thy Word is a LAMP unto my feet," Psa 119:105.

"I, saith the Lord, will be unto her a wall of FIRE," Zech 2:5.
"Is not My Word like as a FIRE? saith the Lord," Jer 23:29.

"The Light of Israel shall be for a FIRE," Isa 10:17.
"I will make My Words in thy mouth FIRE," Jer 5:14.

"To you which believe, He is PRECIOUS," 1 Peter 2:7.
"Exceeding great and PRECIOUS Promises," 2 Peter 1:4.

"My beloved is...chiefest among ten THOUSAND," Song 5:10.
"The Law of Thy mouth is better unto me than THOUSANDS of gold and silver," Psa 119:72.

"His Mouth is most SWEET," Song 5:16.
"How SWEET are Thy Words unto my taste," Psa 119:103.

"His Name shall be called WONDERFUL," Isa 9:6.
"Thy Testimonies are WONDERFUL," Psa 119:129.

"Christ, the POWER OF God," 1 Cor 1:24.
"The Gospel is the POWER OF God," Rom 1:16.

Lord, "Thou art GOOD, and doest Good," Psa 119:68.
"GOOD is the Word of the Lord," Isa 39:8.

"Ye have known Him that is FROM THE BEGINNING," 1 John 2:13.
"Thy Word is true FROM THE BEGINNING," Psa 119:160.

"From Everlasting to EVERLASTING Thou art God," Psa 90:2.
"The righteousness of Thy Testimonies is EVERLASTING," Psa 119:144.

"Thy throne, O God, is FOR EVER AND EVER," Heb 1:8.
"Thy testimonies,...Thou hast founded them FOR EVER," Psa 119:152.

"The Lord shall ENDURE for ever," Psa 9:7.
"The Word of the Lord ENDURETH for ever," 1 Peter 1:25.

"Christ ABIDETH for ever," John 12:34.
"The Word of God...ABIDETH for ever," 1 Peter 1:23.

"Worship Him that LIVETH for ever," Rev 4:10.
"The Word of God LIVETH for ever," 1 Peter 1:23.

Christ's Kingdom "shall STAND FOR EVER," Dan 2:44.
"The Word of our God shall STAND FOR EVER," Isa 40:8.

The STONE..."on whomsoever it shall fall, it will grind him to powder," Luke 20:18.
"Is not my Word...saith the Lord, like a HAMMER that breaketh the rock in pieces?" Jer 23:29.

Christ, "A STUMBLING Stone," Rom 9:33.
They "STUMBLE at the Word," 1 Peter 2:8.

"Lo, I am with you ALWAY, even unto the end of the world," Matt 28:20.
"Thy commandments...are EVER WITH ME," Psa 119:98.

"Christ may DWELL in your hearts by faith," Eph 3:17.
"Let the Word of Christ DWELL in you richly," Col 3:16.

Christ said, "ABIDE in me, and I IN YOU," John 15:4.
"If... my Words ABIDE in you," John 15:7.

"Hereby we know that He ABIDETH in us," 1 John 3:24.
"The Word of God ABIDETH in you," 1 John 2:14.

Christ called, "FAITHFUL and true," Rev 19:11.
"Thy Testimonies...are very FAITHFUL," Psa 119:138.

"Out of His mouth goeth a sharp SWORD," Rev 19:15.
"The Word of God...is sharper than any two-edged SWORD," Heb 4:12.*

* Heb 4:12 probably refers to both the Living Word and the written Word also.

"The Lord TRIETH the Righteous," Psa 11:5.
"The Word of the Lord TRIED him," Psa 105:19.

Christ a "TRIED Stone," Isa 28:16.
"The Word of the Lord is TRIED," Psa 18:30.

SIMILAR EFFECTS ATTRIBUTED TO "CHRIST" AND "THE SCRIPTURES."

We are "BORN OF God," 1 John 5:18.
"BORN...by the Word of God," 1 Peter 1:23.

"BEGOTTEN...by...Jesus Christ," 1 Peter 1:3.
BEGOTTEN...through The Gospel," 1 Cor 4:15.

"The Son QUICKENETH whom He will," John 5:21.
"Thy Word hath QUICKENED me," Psa 119:50.

"You hath he QUICKENED who were dead," &c., Eph 2:1.
"Thy Precepts...with them thou hast QUICKENED me," Psa 119:93.

"He that eateth me, even he shall LIVE by me," John 6:57.
"Desire the sincere milk of The Word, that ye may GROW thereby," 1 Peter 2:2.

"Christ hath made us FREE," Gal 5:1.
"The Truth shall make you FREE," John 8:32.

"The Blood of Jesus Christ...CLEANSETH us from all sin," 1 John 1:7.
"YE are CLEAN through the Word which I have spoken," John 15:3.

Christ "is able also to SAVE them to the uttermost that come unto God by Him," Heb 7:25.
"Receive...the engrafted Word, which is able to SAVE your souls," James 1:21.

"SANCTIFIED in Christ Jesus," 1 Cor 1:2.
"SANCTIFIED by the Word of God and prayer," 1 Tim 4:5.

"SANCTIFIED through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all," Heb 10:10.
"SANCTIFY them through THY TRUTH. Thy Word is truth," John 17:17.

"Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us WISDOM," 1 Cor 1:30.
"The Holy Scriptures...able to make thee WISE unto salvation," 2 Tim 3:15.

Christ "HEALED them," Matt 4:24.
"He sent His Word and HEALED them," Psa 107:20.

"Striving according to His Working which WORKETH in me mightily," Col 1:29.
"The Word of God which effectually WORKETH also in you that believe," 1 Thess 2:13.

"The Lord Jesus Christ...shall JUDGE the quick and the dead," 2 Tim 4:1.
"The Word that I have spoken...shall JUDGE him," John 12:48.

"I will go unto God, my exceeding Joy," Psa 43:4.
"Thy Word was unto me the JOY and rejoicing of my heart," Jer 15:16.

Thus we see that the Living Word and the Written Word cannot be separated. And we can understand also why they cannot be separated in the preaching of the Word.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:00 am 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Sorry, but you have not proven the infallibility of the Bible. A Muslim can do the exact same thing as you have done, with the Koran. You say that Christ said those things, but you cannot yourself prove that He said those things.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:51 pm 

Signum Crucis wrote:
Sorry, but you have not proven the infallibility of the Bible. A Muslim can do the exact same thing as you have done, with the Koran. You say that Christ said those things, but you cannot yourself prove that He said those things.

Can you prove that which you ask?

But since no answer will suffice,I will say,simply.......................FAITH!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:34 pm 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

We've been over this with you many times. You cannot prove the infallibility or the inspiration of the Bible using the Bible alone. The Bible is not in the Bible, so to speak.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:40 pm 

Signum Crucis wrote:
We've been over this with you many times. You cannot prove the infallibility or the inspiration of the Bible using the Bible alone. The Bible is not in the Bible, so to speak.

Is the Bible according to the Catholic Church,infallible?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:27 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

n2thelight wrote:
Signum Crucis wrote:

It is Inspired and Inerrant.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:18 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: TOC, KofC
metal1633 wrote:
n2thelight wrote:
Signum Crucis wrote:

Exactly right. The gift of infallibility has been granted to the Pope and the Bishops in communion with him. (Other than the Pope, no single bishop is infallible.)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:46 am 

metal1633 wrote:
n2thelight wrote:
Signum Crucis wrote:

Is it infallible?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:33 am 
Adept
Adept

Religion: High Church Lutheran
Church Affiliations: Church of Norway
n2thelight wrote:
metal1633 wrote:
n2thelight wrote:
Signum Crucis wrote:

Is it infallible?
No, of course not. Is the Bible a person?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:07 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

n2thelight wrote:
metal1633 wrote:
n2thelight wrote:
Signum Crucis wrote:

Is it infallible?
Infallible is a word applied to persons. The sacred authors were inspired and what they wrote is inerrant.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:18 pm 

Closet Catholic wrote:
n2thelight wrote:
metal1633 wrote:
n2thelight wrote:
Signum Crucis wrote:

Is it infallible?
No, of course not. Is the Bible a person?

Quote:
So what's the point of the question?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:39 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

n2thelight wrote:

Not pointless but badly phrased.

Is the table of contents inspired? If not then how do you know the list of books is correct without resorting to extra-biblical sources?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:24 pm 

metal1633 wrote:
n2thelight wrote:

Is the table of contents inspired? If not then how do you know the list of books is correct without resorting to extra-biblical sources?

How do you know,with resorting to extra biblical sources?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:29 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

n2thelight wrote:
metal1633 wrote:
n2thelight wrote:

I am not confined to using the bible alone. I know because the Church, guided and enlightened by the Holy Spirit, says so.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:56 pm 

metal1633 wrote:
n2thelight wrote:
metal1633 wrote:
n2thelight wrote:

I am not confined to using the bible alone. I know because the Church, guided and enlightened by the Holy Spirit, says so.

So what's wrong with using the Bible alone?You stated that you know it is the inspired Word of God,yet at the same time you seem to think it can't stand on it's own,why is that?Do you feel God left things out?

Last edited by n2thelight on Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 8 of 34   [ 673 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 34  Next