Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 4   [ 74 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Why no kneeling?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:27 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: CSP
Protestants believe that He is present when they invoke/call on him.

Why is there no act of worship in their rituals?

Appeals to personal subjectivity on a matter of objective right is as much a category mistake as claiming that the number 3 is taller than the color blue. - Dr. Francis Beckwith

EENS

Post subject: Re: Why no kneeling?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:44 pm 
Honeymoon King
Honeymoon King

Religion: One Holy Roman Catholic and Apostolic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree K of C, L of M
Charles07 wrote:

I do not think they believe He is really, truly, and substantially present.

Judas Iscariot is the patron saint of Social Justice. Venerable Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

A logistics problem should be handled with a logistical solution, not a liturgical one.

Holy Mary, Queen of the Martyrs, Pray for us.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:49 pm 

There were times I remember (while growing up AoG) that after the service some people would remain in their pews (or go up to the 'altar') and kneel/pray...sometimes alone or sometimes with another member.

But there wasn't any set pattern as to when this would happen. IIRC it was connected to 'altar calls'.

SV

“Be sober and vigilant: because your enemy the devil, like a roaring lion, is roaming around seeking whom he might devour. Strong in faith, resist him knowing that the same affliction befalls your brethren who are in the world. ” 1 Peter 5:8-9.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:54 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: CSP
pax wrote:
Charles07 wrote:

I do not think they believe He is really, truly, and substantially present.

Or they do not respect Him.

Appeals to personal subjectivity on a matter of objective right is as much a category mistake as claiming that the number 3 is taller than the color blue. - Dr. Francis Beckwith

EENS

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:26 pm 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Why no standing at the reading of the Gospels?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:08 pm 
Honeymoon King
Honeymoon King

Religion: One Holy Roman Catholic and Apostolic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree K of C, L of M
Signum Crucis wrote:
Why no standing at the reading of the Gospels?

Yes! And do explain the significance of the 3 crosses we trace over ourselves.

Judas Iscariot is the patron saint of Social Justice. Venerable Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

A logistics problem should be handled with a logistical solution, not a liturgical one.

Holy Mary, Queen of the Martyrs, Pray for us.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:18 pm 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

I assume they don't respect the Gospels enough to want to receive them with a clean heart, mind, and lips.

Why don't their preachers kiss the Gospels?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:18 pm 
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Religion: Roman Catholic
Why the prohibition of ritualized action generally? Would God in His glory and majesty be someone we could stand before anyway? Then why treat Him differently now?

"Beati estis cum maledixerint vobis et persecuti vos fuerint et dixerint omne malum adversum vos, mentientes, propter me. Gaudete et exsultate, quoniam merces vestra copiosa est in caelis; sic enim persecuti sunt prophetas, qui fuerunt ante vos." Mt. V. xi-xii

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:35 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus; 40 Days
Mr.Rudeness wrote:
Why the prohibition of ritualized action generally? Would God in His glory and majesty be someone we could stand before anyway? Then why treat Him differently now?

:sleep: :cloud9: :knit

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:07 am 

Religion: Christian
Signum Crucis wrote:
I assume they don't respect the Gospels enough to want to receive them with a clean heart, mind, and lips.

What is the Gospel? Is it a book or a message?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:29 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus; 40 Days
ajw333 wrote:
Signum Crucis wrote:

Ask Prooftexter. He seems to think it is a book that contains understanding.

But it is a book and a message. To kiss the Bible is to venerate it the same way one may kiss a picture of their spouse/pet/mother.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:05 am 
Ancient Mariner
Ancient Mariner

Church Affiliations: Honorary Member 3rd degree KC
I think that the heresy of OSAS has led protestants away from the fear of God. After all why should they fear God He is required by them to forgive their sins.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:16 am 

Humbleman4 wrote:
ajw333 wrote:
Signum Crucis wrote:

But it is a book and a message. To kiss the Bible is to venerate it the same way one may kiss a picture of their spouse/pet/mother.
I'm not sure that the Lord would require us to kiss the Bible. My wife doesn't expect me to kiss pictures of her, or of the kids or the dog but each to their own.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:05 am 
Ancient Mariner
Ancient Mariner

ajw333 wrote:
Humbleman4 wrote:
ajw333 wrote:
Signum Crucis wrote:

I'm not sure that the Lord would require us to kiss the Bible. My wife doesn't expect me to kiss pictures of her, or of the kids or the dog but each to their own.

Is your wife God?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:13 am 

DesertSailor wrote:
ajw333 wrote:
Humbleman4 wrote:
ajw333 wrote:
Signum Crucis wrote:

Is your wife God?
If my wife was with me in the room and I went and kissed a photo of her, she would regard this as odd. In the same way, God is always with us so why kiss the Bible, a statue or a picture of Him? He is right there standing in front of you.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:39 am 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Why did a woman kiss the hem of Jesus's garment? He was standing right there before her, after all.

The readings of the Mass is one of our Traditions. Since the first century, passages from the Bible have been read at Mass, including the Old Testament, an Epistle, and the Gospels. Origen said that the Gospel is the crown of all the holy writings. Our Gospels are in a separate book and the book is kissed by the priest as a sign of reverence for the holy words of Our Lord. The faithful make a cross on their forehead, one on their lips, and one over their heart before hearing the reading of the Gospel. There are other signs of reverence as well, but I won't go into those.

I'm continually amazed at non-Catholics who criticize Catholics and say we don't know the Scriptures, that the Bible is never used during Mass, etc., yet we show in the Mass a million times the reverence for the Holy Scriptures that they show in their services.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:59 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

I'm confused as to why some of our Protestant friends insist on using the language of "requirement" at all times. As M Word once said - do/should we only do things that God requires of us?

"The time will come when people will not tolerate sound doctrine, but, following their own desires, will surround themselves with teachers who tickle their ears. They will stop listening to the truth and will wander off to fables" (2 Tm 4:3-4).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:05 am 
Ancient Mariner
Ancient Mariner

Don't tell AJW that we wipe our feet on a rainy day before entering the Church. He would find that an odd requirement of the Vatican and would see it as a Papal plot to take over America. Feet wiping isn't in the bible.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:04 pm 
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Religion: Roman Catholic
ajw333 wrote:
DesertSailor wrote:
ajw333 wrote:
Humbleman4 wrote:
ajw333 wrote:
Signum Crucis wrote:

Is your wife God?
If my wife was with me in the room and I went and kissed a photo of her, she would regard this as odd. In the same way, God is always with us so why kiss the Bible, a statue or a picture of Him? He is right there standing in front of you.

Is that something of which you are constantly aware, or always conscious? Wouldn't that ritualized action serve to remind you that God is always present? Or are we to believe that what a man does has no effect on his attitude? It would seem that it is far more conducive to humility to approach Our Lord on one's knees than to stand about with our hands in our pockets, satisfied that because God is everywhere, we need show Him no particular physical sign of our homage.

"Beati estis cum maledixerint vobis et persecuti vos fuerint et dixerint omne malum adversum vos, mentientes, propter me. Gaudete et exsultate, quoniam merces vestra copiosa est in caelis; sic enim persecuti sunt prophetas, qui fuerunt ante vos." Mt. V. xi-xii

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:33 pm 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

When I was a Protestant, I noticed that parents let their children run up and down the aisles and romp on the podium, and people would gather in groups to gossip, laugh loudly, and chatter like magpies. The absence of such rowdy behavior was striking when I went to my first Mass. I was also struck by the way people came in quietly and knelt in prayer.

Protestants don't bow their heads reverently when they hear the name of Our Lord. They don't make the sign of the cross when they hear the Holy Trinity invoked. They don't do anything. They say stuff like, "Oh, I worship Him in my heart. I don't have to do anything." Well, what you do outwardly is a sign of how you think and feel inwardly. If you feel reverent and you think it is fitting to show reverence, then it will be reflected in your actions, sometimes even unconsciously.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 4   [ 74 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next