Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 3 of 6   [ 106 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: "Call no Man Father"
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:05 am 
There Can Be Only One

Religion: Catholic
GKC wrote:
Highlander wrote:
To the OP, I've given up on discussing this very issue with my fundamentalist friends.

One is an incredibly intelligent woman, who is agile and flexible on any matter except her religion. Which she advocates with an endless series of biblical quotations. When such a topic arises, I can see the glaze appear in her eyes, her voice rises, and she begins quoting verse after verse...and substantiates their literal authority by saying that the Bible is the Word of God and cannot be abridged, related, interpreted, colored, considered, contextualized (see how that word plays per the above) except as literal.

Oh, and when I used to point out an inherent contradiction in verses, she rolls her eyes and replies something like, "Well, of course the real meaning of the verses removes any contradiction." Fruitless.

It is as if the Bible consists of a collection of very large number (∞) of randomly independent verses by different authors who have no connection to each other or to any overarching thread.

So, I avoid Biblical discussion (wrong word -- listening to an endless, repetitive monologue is more accurate) with her and her ilk.

Wisdom.

I prefer beauty.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:35 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Highlander wrote:
GKC wrote:
Highlander wrote:
To the OP, I've given up on discussing this very issue with my fundamentalist friends.

One is an incredibly intelligent woman, who is agile and flexible on any matter except her religion. Which she advocates with an endless series of biblical quotations. When such a topic arises, I can see the glaze appear in her eyes, her voice rises, and she begins quoting verse after verse...and substantiates their literal authority by saying that the Bible is the Word of God and cannot be abridged, related, interpreted, colored, considered, contextualized (see how that word plays per the above) except as literal.

Oh, and when I used to point out an inherent contradiction in verses, she rolls her eyes and replies something like, "Well, of course the real meaning of the verses removes any contradiction." Fruitless.

It is as if the Bible consists of a collection of very large number (∞) of randomly independent verses by different authors who have no connection to each other or to any overarching thread.

So, I avoid Biblical discussion (wrong word -- listening to an endless, repetitive monologue is more accurate) with her and her ilk.

Wisdom.

I prefer beauty.

Settle for the possible.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:32 pm 
There Can Be Only One

GKC wrote:
Highlander wrote:
GKC wrote:
Highlander wrote:

Wisdom.

I prefer beauty.

Settle for the possible.

Dreamcrusher.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:07 pm 
Adept
Adept

Religion: High Church Lutheran
Church Affiliations: Church of Norway
No, Denise Dee, you are simply wrong here. You are conflating two distinct usages of ‘literal,’ one pertaining to the exact meaning of individual words, the other pertaining to the interpretation of texts. The literal meaning of ‘pull’ and ‘leg’ is ‘drag’ and ‘lower appendage.’ But the literal interpretation of “you are pulling my leg” is not “you are dragging my lower appendage” but “you are joking [with me].” Because when we literally interpret a text, we are interpreting the text as a whole, and looking for its meaning. That is what literal interpretation means. This is textual, and not just biblical, interpretation 101.

For the exact same reason we can say that the literal interpretation of “it is raining cats and dogs” and “I look at tennis as a means of exercise” is not “cats and dogs are falling down from the sky” and “I gaze at tennis as a means of exercise” but “it is raining heavily” and “I regard tennis as a means of exercise.”

Doom is speaking of the interpretation of a phrase used in a text or in a conversation and you maintain, wrongly, that literal interpretation is about interpreting each word individually, out of context. That is not now, and has never been, the case.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:13 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Highlander wrote:
GKC wrote:
Highlander wrote:
GKC wrote:
Highlander wrote:

Wisdom.

I prefer beauty.

Settle for the possible.

Dream catchers are good.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:14 pm 
There Can Be Only One

Closet Catholic wrote:
No, Denise Dee, you are simply wrong here. You are conflating two distinct usages of ‘literal,’ one pertaining to the exact meaning of individual words, the other pertaining to the interpretation of texts. The literal meaning of ‘pull’ and ‘leg’ is ‘drag’ and ‘lower appendage.’ But the literal interpretation of “you are pulling my leg” is not “you are dragging my lower appendage” but “you are joking [with me].” Because when we literally interpret a text, we are interpreting the text as a whole, and looking for its meaning. That is what literal interpretation means. This is textual, and not just biblical, interpretation 101.

For the exact same reason we can say that the literal interpretation of “it is raining cats and dogs” and “I look at tennis as a means of exercise” is not “cats and dogs are falling down from the sky” and “I gaze at tennis as a means of exercise” but “it is raining heavily” and “I regard tennis as a means of exercise.”

Doom is speaking of the interpretation of a phrase used in a text or in a conversation and you maintain, wrongly, that literal interpretation is about interpreting each word individually, out of context. That is not now, and has never been, the case.

What he said.

If there were only one "literal" meaning, there would be no thesauri. Or brontosauri. And the word "synonym" would be bereft of meaning. Plus "in other words" would not be much used.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:17 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Closet Catholic wrote:

Doom is speaking of the interpretation of a phrase used in a text or in a conversation and you maintain, wrongly, that literal interpretation is about interpreting each word individually, out of context. That is not now and has never been, the case.

That is a good explanation.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:10 am 
Adept
Adept

Religion: Christian & Missionary Alliance
In the realm of "for what it's worth," the older sense of "literal interpretation" Doom, CC, and others are using is conveyed in the literature I've ready over the years by the term "primary meaning." The term "literal", especially sense Frege, has so many nuances in so many cases that it's all but useless. It is argued, for instance, that if I point to someone and say, "He is thirsty," and the person really is thirsty in the ordinary sense, my words still are not "literal" because "literal" is to be understood as meaning derived exclusively from the conventions of the particular language. So "he" in English is a demonstrative pronoun that does not, by convention, refer to any particular person. So you need further distinctions, because no one would really want to say that "he is literal" is then in some sense figurative.

In my own assessment, this entire discussion is a bit of a tempest in a teapot. Doom just used a term ("literal") in a particular way following a particular, even if ancient (and largely sectarian), school of thought. The way he used the term is decidedly not how it is used in popular speech, and so CC's defense, on one hand correct, is overstated when claiming that DD's usage has "never" been the held. DD's use is, in fact, the popular use, even if it isn't the on that either modern linguistics or classical philosophers use. I find myself in exactly the same place when I use words like "potentiality" or "final cause" in philosophical discussions. I'm using such words in a particular way, and if someone complains I'm using the word in the wrong way, it's my role to simply point out the tradition in which I am using them and in what words they ought to understand my meaning. The conversation about whether or not the word is "right" or "wrong" is entirely beside the point.

Here is a picture of a very cute kitten. It is, by far, the most important thing posted in this entire thread, and it should make everyone feel better.

And here is another picture of a cute kitten with a funny (because of it's incongruence) text included.

You are welcome.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:22 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

theJack wrote:
In the realm of "for what it's worth," the older sense of "literal interpretation" Doom, CC, and others are using is conveyed in the literature I've ready over the years by the term "primary meaning." The term "literal", especially sense Frege, has so many nuances in so many cases that it's all but useless. It is argued, for instance, that if I point to someone and say, "He is thirsty," and the person really is thirsty in the ordinary sense, my words still are not "literal" because "literal" is to be understood as meaning derived exclusively from the conventions of the particular language. So "he" in English is a demonstrative pronoun that does not, by convention, refer to any particular person. So you need further distinctions, because no one would really want to say that "he is literal" is then in some sense figurative.

In my own assessment, this entire discussion is a bit of a tempest in a teapot. Doom just used a term ("literal") in a particular way following a particular, even if ancient (and largely sectarian), school of thought. The way he used the term is decidedly not how it is used in popular speech, and so CC's defense, on one hand correct, is overstated when claiming that DD's usage has "never" been the held. DD's use is, in fact, the popular use, even if it isn't the on that either modern linguistics or classical philosophers use. I find myself in exactly the same place when I use words like "potentiality" or "final cause" in philosophical discussions. I'm using such words in a particular way, and if someone complains I'm using the word in the wrong way, it's my role to simply point out the tradition in which I am using them and in what words they ought to understand my meaning. The conversation about whether or not the word is "right" or "wrong" is entirely beside the point.

Here is a picture of a very cute kitten. It is, by far, the most important thing posted in this entire thread, and it should make everyone feel better.

And here is another picture of a cute kitten with a funny (because of it's incongruence) text included.

You are welcome.

The second pic is literally captivating.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:46 am 
There Can Be Only One

I prefer puppies. Let the contention continue.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:03 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic (Syro Malabar)
I am scared of cats and dogs. :fyi:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:54 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Looking for answers
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
What happened is that he used the word in a way you didn't expect. That doesn't make it wrong. That means you can ask for an explanation, say, "Oh, okay, I wasn't expecting that, but I see what you mean," and move along.

It doesn't matter if I see what he means, it is still both wrong and misleading. And for the fourth time, for the benefit of those who are slow to comprehend, I am not talking about anything else Doom wrote. I will move on, but I'm moving on with much less confidence in all of you who refused to acknowledge that this paragraph is IN ITSELF wrong:
Doom wrote:
For example, if I say 'you are pulling my leg', the literal interpretation of this expression is 'you are teasing me or telling me a joke', however, if you think it means that I am accusing you of grabbing one of my appendages, you aren't being literal, you are being literalistic.

Ask any English teacher. To refuse to acknowledge that it is wrong is verging on gaslighting, but I have enough knowledge of the English language not to be misled.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:21 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
Highlander wrote:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:54 pm 
There Can Be Only One

Denise Dee wrote:
... To refuse to acknowledge that it is wrong is verging on gaslighting ...

Gaslighting? Victimhood?

Denise Dee wrote:
... for the fourth time, for the benefit of those who are slow to comprehend...

Could we try it a fifth?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex2r86G0sdc

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:55 pm 
There Can Be Only One

faithfulservant wrote:
Highlander wrote:

Cats in disguise.

But, cute.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:41 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Highlander wrote:
Denise Dee wrote:
... To refuse to acknowledge that it is wrong is verging on gaslighting ...

Gaslighting? Victimhood?

Denise Dee wrote:
... for the fourth time, for the benefit of those who are slow to comprehend...

Could we try it a fifth?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex2r86G0sdc

That is literally heart-rending.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:48 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
I was expecting this: https://youtu.be/0ouMaLRth-s

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:11 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
I was expecting this: https://youtu.be/0ouMaLRth-s

I remember that.

It was literally excruciating.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:28 pm 
There Can Be Only One

Highlander wrote:
faithfulservant wrote:
Highlander wrote:

Cats in disguise.

But, cute.

Always enjoy quoting myself. But I have to consider the source.

Upon reflection, those puppies literally melted my heart.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:04 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
Highlander wrote:
Highlander wrote:
faithfulservant wrote:
Highlander wrote:

Cats in disguise.

But, cute.

Always enjoy quoting myself. But I have to consider the source.

Upon reflection, those puppies literally melted my heart.

definitely some cuties in there

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 3 of 6   [ 106 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next