Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 26 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Does everyone have the holy spirit in them?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:41 pm 
Corporate Minion Moderator

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
So the "hard-wiring" analogy is valid, as long as it's clear that the desire to seek God is truly innate and not dependent on the influence of and/or guidance from the Holy Spirit?

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:50 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Yes

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:05 pm 

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
TY :wave

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:20 pm 
Highness
Highness

Religion: Syro Malabar Christian
CCC 27 The desire for God is written in the human heart, because man is created by God and for God; and God never ceases to draw man to himself. Only in God will he find the truth and happiness he never stops searching for:

The dignity of man rests above all on the fact that he is called to communion with God. This invitation to converse with God is addressed to man as soon as he comes into being. For if man exists it is because God has created him through love, and through love continues to hold him in existence. He cannot live fully according to truth unless he freely acknowledges that love and entrusts himself to his creator.1

28 In many ways, throughout history down to the present day, men have given expression to their quest for God in their religious beliefs and behaviour: in their prayers, sacrifices, rituals, meditations, and so forth. These forms of religious expression, despite the ambiguities they often bring with them, are so universal that one may well call man a religious being:

From one ancestor (God) made all nations to inhabit the whole earth, and he allotted the times of their existence and the boundaries of the places where they would live, so that they would search for God and perhaps grope for him and find him - though indeed he is not far from each one of us. For "in him we live and move and have our being."2

29 But this "intimate and vital bond of man to God" (GS 19 # 1) can be forgotten, overlooked, or even explicitly rejected by man.3 Such attitudes can have different causes: revolt against evil in the world; religious ignorance or indifference; the cares and riches of this world; the scandal of bad example on the part of believers; currents of thought hostile to religion; finally, that attitude of sinful man which makes him hide from God out of fear and flee his call.4

30 "Let the hearts of those who seek the LORD rejoice."5 Although man can forget God or reject him, He never ceases to call every man to seek him, so as to find life and happiness. But this search for God demands of man every effort of intellect, a sound will, "an upright heart", as well as the witness of others who teach him to seek God.

You are great, O Lord, and greatly to be praised: great is your power and your wisdom is without measure. and man, so small a part of your creation, wants to praise you: this man, though clothed with mortality and bearing the evidence of sin and the proof that you withstand the proud. Despite everything, man, though but a small a part of your creation, wants to praise you. You yourself encourage him to delight in your praise, for you have made us for yourself, and our heart is restless until it rests in you. (St. Augustine, Conf. I, I, I: PL 32, 659-661.)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:47 am 

Religion: Non Denominational
Here are some verses that hopefully will help, scripture tells us that all believers have the Holy spirit dwelling in them, they are sealed with the Holy Spirit of Promise. I will respond with some scripture that concerns the unbeliever afterwards.

Romans 8:9-11
9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
10 And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.
11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.

Ephesians 1:13-14
13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,
14 Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

John 7:38-39
38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.
39 (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)

John 1:32-34
32 And John bare record, saying, I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it abode upon him.
33 And I knew him not: but he that sent me to baptize with water, the same said unto me, Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and remaining on him, the same is he which baptizeth with the Holy Ghost.
34 And I saw, and bare record that this is the Son of God.

Luke 11:13
13 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?
Acts 2:1-4
1 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.
2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.
3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.
4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

I am not an expert in this theology, but from what I have been able to gather, there are basically two school of thoughts on the work of the Holy Spirit to those who have not believed on Jesus. The first are those who believe in the Predestination of believers, which include those that hear the word and are saved, but the reason they can hear is God gives them ears to hear and eyes to see. Then there are those who believe that God has given us a free will, and we can choose to believe the gospel, and the Holy Spirit does have a part in it.

John 6:44
44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

John 12:32
32 And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:54 pm 
Master
Master

Religion: Catholic
^ Welcome to the Forum, J3:16. :wave

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 26 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2