The Catholic Message Board
http://forums.avemariaradio.net/

Translation please
http://forums.avemariaradio.net/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=163522
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Jack3 [ Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:41 am ]
Post subject:  Translation please

Homo? Humus.
Fama? Fumus.
Finis? Cinis!

Author:  Obi-Wan Kenobi [ Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:13 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Translation please

Man? Dirt.
Fame? Vapor.
The end? Ashes.

Author:  Highlander [ Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:02 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Translation please

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Man? Dirt.
Fame? Vapoe.
The end? Ashes.
Vapor. Rub?

Author:  lbt [ Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:03 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Translation please

I think the more appropriate translation is:

Man is dust.
Fame is smoke.
Ashes is the end.

See the following:

http://www.conviviobookworks.com/blog/h ... nis-cinis/

Fumus can mean smoke besides vapor.

Author:  Pro Ecclesia Dei [ Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:20 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Translation please

lbt wrote:
I think the more appropriate translation is:

Man is dust.
Fame is smoke.
Ashes is the end.

See the following:

http://www.conviviobookworks.com/blog/h ... nis-cinis/

Fumus can mean smoke besides vapor.

No, I think Father did a better job. As given it is a set of Q & A, and that is lost in your version

Author:  Riverboat [ Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:36 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Translation please

Any chance one of our resident Latin mavens could translate this?

They can knock me down, but they can't keep me down.

Author:  Pro Ecclesia Dei [ Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:46 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Translation please

Riverboat wrote:
Any chance one of our resident Latin mavens could translate this?

They can knock me down, but they can't keep me down.

Possunt me deiicere, sed me vero deorsum tenere nequeunt.

Author:  Riverboat [ Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:59 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Translation please

Much obliged, sir. Thank you for the work.

Now I have a question about your web site. The About the Author area has this: "And a would be pedant on every subject I can attempt to grasp."

Am I the only one confused? Is a word missing after "a"?

Author:  Byblos [ Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:29 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Translation please

Riverboat wrote:
Much obliged, sir. Thank you for the work.

Now I have a question about your web site. The About the Author area has this: "And a would be pedant on every subject I can attempt to grasp."

Am I the only one confused? Is a word missing after "a"?


Not if you assume a dash between 'would' and 'be'.

Author:  Riverboat [ Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:44 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Translation please

Byblos wrote:
Not if you assume a dash between 'would' and 'be'.

Ah. Now it makes perfect sense. I kept trying to read it as if "a" were a Shakespearean "he."

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/