Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Translation help
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:56 am 
Highness
Highness

Religion: Syro Malabar Christian
1.Da latere Domini nostri Jesu Christi exivit sanguis et aqua in remissionem peccatorem in nomine,etc

2.Largire sensibus nostris, omnipotens Pater, ut sic abluuntur inquinamenta manuum, sic a te mundentur interius pollutiones mentium et crescat in nobis sanctarum augmentum virtutum. Per

3.Rogo te, altissime Deus Sabaoth, Pater Sancte, ut pro peccatis meis possim intercedere et adstantibus veniam peccatorum promereri, ac pacificas singulorum hostias immolare.

"May our tongues proclaim Your truth. May Your Cross be a protection for us as we let our tongues be turned into new harps and sing hymns with fiery lips"

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite

Post subject: Re: Translation help
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:47 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
Jack3 wrote:
1.Da latere Domini nostri Jesu Christi exivit sanguis et aqua in remissionem peccatorem in nomine,etc

Bad Latin for "From the side of Our Lord Jesus Christ, blood and water came forth for the remission of sins in the name, etc"

And by bad, I mean terrible Latin. exivit should be exiverunt. peccatorem should be peccatorum. Da should be de

If I were a robat I would translate this as "Give thou, by the side of our Lord Jesus Christ, blood has come out, and water is for the remissioned sinner"

See why good Latin would help?

Quote:
2.Largire sensibus nostris, omnipotens Pater, ut sic abluuntur inquinamenta manuum, sic a te mundentur interius pollutiones mentium et crescat in nobis sanctarum augmentum virtutum. Per

Grant to our senses, almighty Father, that, just as the iniquities of are hands are washed, so may the inner defilements of our minds by cleansed by Thee and a growth in the holy virtues spring up in us. Though etc.
Quote:
3.Rogo te, altissime Deus Sabaoth, Pater Sancte, ut pro peccatis meis possim intercedere et adstantibus veniam peccatorum promereri, ac pacificas singulorum hostias immolare.

I entreat Thee, most high God of Armies, Holy Father, that I may be able to intercede for my sins and, standing for them, merit the pardon of sins, and to sacrifice the peace-giving victims for each.

Not sure why victim is plural. Sure it wasn't "pacificam singulorum hostiam"

http://stomachosus-thomistarum.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:18 am 
Highness
Highness

Religion: Syro Malabar Christian
Thank you very much. As you might have guessed, I was reading up on the non Roman Western rites.
I am a complete foreigner to Latin who understands words through similarities with corresponding English words :oops: so please pardon me for troubling you with my mistakes, my reading errors. Da is De and peccatorem is peccatorum in the first prayer, just like you said. Exivit is used, not exiverunt, in the form given on the sanctamissa website, similarly pacifas singulorum hostias is given. Once again, thanks for translating. :)

"May our tongues proclaim Your truth. May Your Cross be a protection for us as we let our tongues be turned into new harps and sing hymns with fiery lips"

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:41 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
Jack3 wrote:
Thank you very much. As you might have guessed, I was reading up on the non Roman Western rites.
I am a complete foreigner to Latin who understands words through similarities with corresponding English words :oops: so please pardon me for troubling you with my mistakes, my reading errors. Da is De and peccatorem is peccatorum in the first prayer, just like you said. Exivit is used, not exiverunt, in the form given on the sanctamissa website, similarly pacifas singulorum hostias is given. Once again, thanks for translating. :)

Hey I typed robat instead of robot. It happens.

The thing is, sanguis et aqua, blood and water, came forth. So the verb should be plural too. But it is not that rare that a singular is used with some conjunctions, treating them as if one subject

http://stomachosus-thomistarum.blogspot.com/