Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Rosetta Stone
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:19 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Greetings,

I woule like to work on my Latin. There is very little language software. The most adverstized language software is Rosetta Stone. Since this software is VERY expensive I would like to get some feedback.

Has anyone used Rosetta Stone software in general or any language? How was it?

If any anyone has used the Latin version, what is your opinion? I know it that it uses classical pronunciation rather than ecclesiastica pronunciation. Was that a big issue for you?

peace

Post subject: Re: Rosetta Stone
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:40 pm 
Huckleberry
Huckleberry

Religion: Catholic
I haven't actually used Rosetta Stone, but I know the approach they use to teaching languages. They utilize a more common, intuitive method of basically ostension and repetition. While this is how we learn our native languages and works well with others, I doubt it would be helpful with Latin. Latin is far too grammar heavy. For Latin, personally, I liked Wheelocks. Plus it's cheap.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:47 pm 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Religion: Catholic
You can take sample classes on the site, I think.

I like Fr. Henle.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:59 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Catholic :)
Hi Father :wave

I don't know if Lingua Latina would be helpful to you for your purpose, but I gave it to a Latin student who bemoaned the fact that after several years of studying Latin, all she could do was to translate; she couldn't just read it and understand. It does start very much from the beginning, but moves along quickly.

If you get a software version, it too will have classical pronunciation, but there are a few beginning lessons in ecclesiastical pronunciation online; however, I suspect you might not need them? (Otherwise, let me know and I'll post the link.)

If I could find a French version of this, I would get it in a heartbeat to "oil" my very rusty French. (in fact, I'd be willing to work on a French version if someone who knew French really well would help--that's how great I think it is :))

O God, our refuge and our strength, look down in mercy on Thy people who cry out to Thee, and through the intercession of Mary, the virgin Mother of God; Saint Joseph, her most chaste spouse; Thy holy Apostles Peter and Paul, and of all Thy Saints, hear our prayer for the conversion of sinners, and for the liberation and exaltation of our holy Mother the Church. Through the same Christ our Lord. Amen.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:05 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

BTW, we also used Rosetta Stone, but I think it is just a very high-priced, fancy way of doing things, and I did not like their "listening" software: it was very hard to figure out how I was mispronouncing the target word from. However, if you decide to go with it, look on homeschooling sites for used versions :wink:

O God, our refuge and our strength, look down in mercy on Thy people who cry out to Thee, and through the intercession of Mary, the virgin Mother of God; Saint Joseph, her most chaste spouse; Thy holy Apostles Peter and Paul, and of all Thy Saints, hear our prayer for the conversion of sinners, and for the liberation and exaltation of our holy Mother the Church. Through the same Christ our Lord. Amen.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:31 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
I tried Rosetta Stone for French...it was awful. I had a native French speaker tell me at times that I got a word right, but oh no the program disagreed...but if I swore at it in frustration it thought that was correct and moved to the next word.

While I think more natural approaches are superior for any language, you do need some understanding of the grammar and mechanics....I did two levels of Rossetta Stone (beginner and intermediate) but just learned phrases with no ability to construct new ones...in inflected languages that is not good

If you can find a used copy for a good price, Fr. Most's Latin by the Natural Method is good. It is like Lingua Latina, in that it is aimed at actually understanding Latin more than translating it, but has explanations in English (at least in the "first year" section, they become rarer in the second) of concepts and grammar

Lingua Latina is best with younger people, especially kids, and best when you have a partner and practice Latin on each other.

Someone put the 1st and 3rd Experiences from Fr. Foster online (the 2nd is conversational, and so you actually have to be there)...cannot remember where that was

http://stomachosus-thomistarum.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:46 pm 
Eminent
Eminent

Religion: Католик
I never use Rosetta Stone.

I did use Waldo E. Sweet's books and heard him speak the Classical way. The professor passed away many years ago.

I still speak the Classical way. Don't worry as I'm used to hear Ecclesiastical Latin in those old days.

Since most of them are out of print, Wheelocks is a good start.

Abortion and infanticide are abominable crimes. (Gaudium et Spes, 51)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:10 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Pro Ecclesia Dei wrote:
...Someone put the 1st and 3rd Experiences from Fr. Foster online (the 2nd is conversational, and so you actually have to be there)...cannot remember where that was

Here's a link with lots of Latin resources.

And this one I think might be what PED is referring to.

Hope all this helps, and that you are able to save your money for something even better :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:24 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Greetings,

I studied with Reggie Foster in the Seminary. I like those links a lot.

peace