Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How does flashcards work?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:49 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
How does one work with flashcards? Do most people in the US who uses flashcards make their own boxes to put them in? Is it effective or a time waster? I'm thinking of using it for learning vocabulary.

Post subject: Re: How does flashcards work?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:56 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

I don't know if this will help or not but when my daughter was learning to read, her teacher put vocabulary words on flash cards and then put them on a ring so she could more easily flip through them. When she learned the word, I put a check mark on it. When all the words had check marks on them, she got a new set on a new ring.

I don't know if this is what you meant by your question on how to use flashcards.

Lisa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:45 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

I dont know if this will help or not, but sometimes I'l take about 10-12 of them, and neatly fan them out in my hand. Next, I hold them up to my face and start twisting my wrist back and forth. This usually causes a good breeze. Hot weather is the preferable time for this.

I don't know if this is what you meant by your question on how to use flashcards.

I might have misunderstood your question, but I hope this helps ...

Some of these ecumenists are so preoccupied with Christian unity that they are willing to destroy Catholic unity in the name of Christian unity. - Fr. John Hardon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:12 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

It might seem like a strange question for those who are used to using flashcards, but I have not used that system of learning before. I was thinking of putting the cards in a box, where I put the vocabulary I have learned most towards the back, and the one I need to learn towards the front, and once I learn them I can put them in the back. Anyone tried this?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:29 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

viking wrote:
It might seem like a strange question for those who are used to using flashcards, but I have not used that system of learning before. I was thinking of putting the cards in a box, where I put the vocabulary I have learned most towards the back, and the one I need to learn towards the front, and once I learn them I can put them in the back. Anyone tried this?

Sounds like a good plan.

Lisa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:42 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Flashcards don't work for me, but this is what has been told to me by those who do find them helpful:

Keep five sets. All the cards start out in the first set. When you get a card right, it goes into the second set. The next day, if you get a card in the second set right, it goes into the third; otherwise, it goes back into the starter set. The next day, if you get the card right in the third set, it goes to the fourth; otherwise, it goes back into the starter set. If you get it right in the fourth set, move it to the fifth, otherwise, back to the starter. And if you get it right in the fifth, you know it--otherwise, back to the starter.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:51 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

I've heard of three categories of cards - definitely know, kind of know, don't know

They take forever to make. Some people find that the act of writing the cards is helpful.

"Take it as a certain sign that your charity is not genuine if your words, no matter how true, are not charitable." --St Francis de Sales

"The thing is--to be ready to die: and is there one of us who would quite like to die, doing as little for God as we are doing now?" --Fr Faber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:52 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Such as tactile/kinesthetic learners :fyi:

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:59 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Yes. I haven't made flashcards for languages for years, but when I did, the part I found most useful was writing them out.

"Take it as a certain sign that your charity is not genuine if your words, no matter how true, are not charitable." --St Francis de Sales

"The thing is--to be ready to die: and is there one of us who would quite like to die, doing as little for God as we are doing now?" --Fr Faber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:58 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Puppi wrote:
Yes. I haven't made flashcards for languages for years, but when I did, the part I found most useful was writing them out.

ditto

"Be of good heart ... you who are children of Mary. Remember that she accepts as her children all those who choose to be so. Rejoice! Why do you fear to be lost, when such a a Mother defends and protects you?" - St. Alphonsus Liguori

"Blessed Virgin Mary - Immaculate Mother of God. Crushes Satan's head in her spare time." - CCB