Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: A useful set of rules for those who want to read Latin
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:44 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: nothing
And I mean read Latin, not translate it. Read it here. I highly recommend his book which is rather like a manual actually. It goes into much, much more detail. I'm not exaggerating when I say that reading the book helped me to understand Latin more than four years of high school Latin (through no fault of the teacher, I was an idiot). Dexter Hoyos taught my Latin teacher, and I got to study under him last semester covering Cicero...so yeah, this is slightly a plug too. :)

There are extremely few people in the world who can sit down and in one evening, read through an entire chapter of the Aeneid, regardless of how long they've been studying Latin. Why? People who have been studying German or French are expected to read a German/French text. It'd be ludicrous to suggest that they translate German/French into their own language in order to understand German/French. And yet millions of people do so still for Latin. It's a shameful blight upon Latin education that people learn Latin as if it must be decoded. It cripples the enjoyment, understanding and reading of Latin as a language.

Post subject: Re: A useful set of rules for those who want to read Latin
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:51 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
FWIW I read most of the Latin I read without translating (Cicero and occasionally St. Augustine, and some effete Latin that was in vogue with certain eras of the Church still require me to hit the brakes and parse---but even native speakers complained of Cicero's speeches so I am not that badly off) and these suggestions I think are very good...much what I have tried to get others to do

http://stomachosus-thomistarum.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:46 pm 
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Religion: Roman Catholic
This is good stuff, nooj. Thanks for posting it. Incidentally, have you heard of Fr. Foster at all?

"Beati estis cum maledixerint vobis et persecuti vos fuerint et dixerint omne malum adversum vos, mentientes, propter me. Gaudete et exsultate, quoniam merces vestra copiosa est in caelis; sic enim persecuti sunt prophetas, qui fuerunt ante vos." Mt. V. xi-xii

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:31 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: nothing
Rashbold wrote:
This is good stuff, nooj. Thanks for posting it. Incidentally, have you heard of Fr. Foster at all?

Yep, I listen to his Latin Lovers program once in a while. I admire his method of teaching Latin hugely.