Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Daily Mass in Military
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:59 pm 

Religion: Catholic
Anyone here been in the military and does anyone know the possibility of attending daily Mass?

If not daily Mass, what about weekend Masses?

last question...

Can a priest in the military, acting as a military chaplain, offer Mass each day, or will he meet with opposition to military superiors? I ask because I have been discerning a vocation as a priest in the military for some time now, but I need to be able to offer Mass each day.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Daily Mass in Military
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:02 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
You would be well-advised to contact the Archdiocese for the Military Services. They can answer your questions better than we can here.

I do know that Mass on bases in the US is often offered by civilian priests acting as contractors rather than by chaplains, who are often overseas. I would not expect daily Mass to be available in many places.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:15 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Indeed, sometimes you might have to go without Mass if no Catholic chaplain is available. There is just as much of a shortage of Catholic priests in the military as there is anywhere else in the west.

Daily Mass seems extremely unlikely simply because in the military you are on a very tight schedule, there's some activity or other scheduled for you to do in almost every hour of the day.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:27 pm 

My guess is that the US military fosters religious indifferentism. What if a Catholic priest disagrees with the Freemasonic principle of freedom of all religion in the US Constitution? I guess he might not last long there? :scratch:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:44 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
You need to talk with at least a reserve chaplain, if not an active duty one, and there aren't any on this board. May I suggest again that you contact the Military Archdiocese?