Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: On the Road
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:36 pm 

Religion: Catholic
I figured I'd add to this great forum since I've been mostly skulking around the board and just reading (and very much enjoying it).

Anyway, when I was a teenager, I felt a call to full-time ministry (as we Protestants called it). And I stuck with it until college. Then, in college the emotional basis of Pentecostalism as well as some sin habits had caused me to decide not to pursue ministry. I allowed my faith to dwindle and my flesh to rule. I still graduated with a degree in Pastoral Studies, but went on to law school (and am in my last semester).

When I decided to come into the Church, I began attending Mass and sitting before the Blessed Sacrament almost immediately. As my faith began to flourish once more, I started feeling the calling once more. I could picture the Mass and loving it. But, at the same time, I could still picture a married life, and loving it. Even so, the thoughts toward priesthood have persisted within me (for about a year now), so today I went and finally talked with the Director of Vocations for the Archdiocese. He encouraged me and led me forward and it was a good meeting to have. It was nice to finally talk to someone. I have some impediments: namely, being a neophyte and having student loans. So the journey will last at least another year and a half before I could be accepted, which is a good amount of time to discern.

Perhaps, for me, the most difficult decision in the process will be regarding my dogs. I have two of them and I am fairly attached to them. And I have two options: leave them with someone who could care for them that lives nearby or give them up completely. I don't think I could give them up completely, but if I could make enough to save up for their care the 6 years I'd be in seminary, I think I'd be OK with them living with someone I knew and trusted and would let me take them regularly.

So, if I can figure out that situation and I can figure out how to pay down my student loans as quick as possible, those will be things that definitely point me toward priesthood! Meanwhile, I will pray and discern and let things come as they do.

One of the things Father encouraged me to do is seek out a "good confessor." This is interesting to me. I go to Reconciliation every week, but I usually just list my sins and that's it. But he encouraged me to start bringing things up and getting bits and pieces of advice and, as we connect through the sacrament and get to know each other, I could eventually ask him to be my spiritual director. I guess I don't really know how to go about that or how to decide if someone is a good confessor and could become a spiritual director for me. So I'll be figuring that out as well!

Anyway, yay for discernment! Pray for me as I seek the path God has laid before me! :)

Post subject: Re: On the Road
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:41 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Giving away my cat was the single hardest thing about going to seminary.

Post subject: Re: On the Road
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:44 pm 

Yet, you were able to do it. If the path comes to that point, I pray I have the same strength! More so, I pray that God would work out a situation to allow me my dogs still, but I cannot impose my will on Him. My dogs have been my companions for the most difficult part of law school and, having abandonment issues from my childhood, I don't like the notion of abandoning them. :/