Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: FSSP
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:07 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: K of C 4th Degree
So I've been discerning with the Basilians, a religious order who are really prominent in my area, but I'm really finding some difficulties; Namely I'm really attached to the TLM.

So I was thinking of looking into the FSSP, is anyone here involved with them, or know of anyone involved with them?

Anyone have any person insight to share?

Post subject: Re: FSSP
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:57 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

I attend an FSSP parish regularly and know a number of priests and seminarians. In my experience, on the whole they are excellent, faithful to the Church, very knowledgeable and well formed. Vocations are booming. I encourage you to apply.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:30 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

AdAltareDei wrote:
I attend an FSSP parish regularly and know a number of priests and seminarians. In my experience, on the whole they are excellent, faithful to the Church, very knowledgeable and well formed. Vocations are booming. I encourage you to apply.

I'm probably going to finish my degree first

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:20 am 

The FSSP are good people.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:59 pm 
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

What do you mean by attached to the TLM? A religious or priest can only truly be attached to Jesus and the Church. What if Jesus is calling you to join these Basilians? Will you tell him "no" because of your attachment?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:26 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

CCB wrote:
What do you mean by attached to the TLM? A religious or priest can only truly be attached to Jesus and the Church. What if Jesus is calling you to join these Basilians? Will you tell him "no" because of your attachment?

I'm not under the impression that God is calling me to the Basilians.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:17 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

By attachment, it seems you might mean personal preference. "Personal preference" is always a shallow reason for attending the TL Mass. Its a kind of subjectivism which doesn't help the "traditionalists" at all, if you want to call them that.

Until those who attend the TL Mass can come up with a better explanation besides personal preference, the majority of Catholics will never take their viewpoints seriously, and that beautiful Mass will continue to be the "extraordinary" form.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:06 am 
The Exterminator

Religion: Númenórean Catholic
Well I think that's a good enough reason. There's probably more to it for most people than simply a preference. That's just an easy way to put it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:05 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
CCB wrote:

I would think an attachment to the TLM would be a sign that one is not called to an order that doesn't celebrate it. Not a certain sign, to be sure, but a sign nonetheless.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:58 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
Two things to consider

There is a difference between a call to the priesthood and the call to the religious life. The FSSP is not a religious order, but a society of priests. Basically it is a vocation for those called to the priesthood, with a charisma of celebrating and promoting the antiquior usus.

Then there is the call to the religious life. While this may be further specified as becoming a priest, the call is to the religious life and Orders are at service to that.

So that is one question. A call to the religious life, whether active or monastic, is distinct from a call to the secular priesthood. Regardless of the matter of the TLM (which is not merely a personal preference...it goes beyond that, with a mission to re-sacralize the Mass, which is one reason Benedict issued Summorum pontificum), that is one question to consider. For the most part an FSSP priest is a parish priest.

If community is more important in your discernment and the liturgy as such, then the ICRSS would be the way to go. I think they are better formed education wise, but more important they are Canons regulars. Their vocation is intrinsically tied with both community and the liturgy, e.g.

Now the Basilians are characterized, iirc, by community, teaching and preaching. If those are things that fit with your discernment, then the FSSP may not. The ICRSS would be closer, but they don't focus on teaching as much (even if better educated imho)

But there are many orders, both those attached to and those friendly to the TLM. The Institute of the Good Shepherd, while probably notan ption, for example runs several schools already.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:10 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

This thread's a bit old (and perhaps I was a bit rash when I made it), but I do appreciate the insight.

To clarify, I do love the Traditional Latin Mass. I would like to see all Catholics having access to it, and I believe many would benefit from it. I also believe the Traditional Latin Mass presents the Catholic Faith with so much beauty that it can sures help spread the faith. It also preserves something so valuable.

ETA; If you'd like reasons beside "personal preference" for my attending the Latin Mass, I'll list a few a) it show cases the continuity of the Catholic faith in a very visual and obvious way b) Ad orientem makes everything focused on the real Presence, which is the best reason to go to Mass in the first place c) I've general found the community very supportive, the sermons very edifying, and serving as an altar boy has really helped me see what it is my Priest does (both before, during and after Mass). I realize c) is really the accidentals of the parish I attend however.

But I do want to be clear, if people "get more out of" (for lack of a better term) attending another licit form of the mass, I don't see the need to push the TLM on them. Nor do I think the TLM should ever become some kind of political statement (and for many TLM goers, it is not).

ETA: I thought of a good illustration for this point. I know a priest, whom I respect very much, who is sympathetic to the TLM, in fact he is the official back-up for the TLM community in our diocese. This priest, however, is a diocesan priest with parish responsibilities, so he celebrates the Novus Ordo at his parish. Gradually, he's introduced more traditional elements, but he's been respectful of where his congregation is. One time he was asked to celebrate a mass for a Charismatic community on a Friday. He went, though he personally did not do anything particularly "charismatic", he did say that the music was not his cup of tea. He said he was happy people were going to mass on a day they didn't have to go, and therefore was willing to put up with the music.

So when I spoke about an attachment, that is what I meant. I just wanted to specify I'm okay in theory with the Novus Ordo, Anglican Use etc. for other people.

Jason I do appreciate the advice, to be honest, I'm glad I can't even join a seminary for another year, I definitely need to work this stuff out (I am in contact with the vocations director of my diocese though)

If you all could pray for this, that would be appreciated :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:45 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

I used to be a seminarian for FSSP, feel free to ask if you have any questions.