Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Mass question
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:46 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
In regards to the Mass, I was trying to get the music director at our parish to start doing Gregorian Chant. She wants to and is very interested. So this is a good step.

She said she wants to slowly introduce it into the Mass, not completely at once throw it all in there and throw everyone off. I did not argue with her and didnt see anything wrong with this I dont want to burn any bridges, especially at this point.

Basically my question is (and for example), Say, she wants to do the De Angelis-Kyrie, and the the rest of the ordinary not being from Mass VIII, where the rest of the ordinary would be just regular Church going music that they mostly have at the parishes (from my experience)? Is there a liturgical rule against this, etc?

If there is some rule against this, I dont suppose we could work on the offertory, etc, being Gregorian chant, and just hold off on the whole ordinary Mass parts for Mass VIII, or whichever Mass, and then throw it all in there when they have practiced all the parts and have it all down, (which is what I would like and would sound better to me, but at this point, ill take what I can get!)

Some of these ecumenists are so preoccupied with Christian unity that they are willing to destroy Catholic unity in the name of Christian unity. - Fr. John Hardon

Last edited by Dionysius on Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Mass question
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:47 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
There is no rule at all against that.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:48 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

this is great, thanks Father

Some of these ecumenists are so preoccupied with Christian unity that they are willing to destroy Catholic unity in the name of Christian unity. - Fr. John Hardon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:15 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

In our parish, during Lent & Advent, we do the Kyrie, Sanctus, and Agnus Dei in chant ( and Latin!). Rest of the year, it's Mass of Creation. Rant: I like some of Marty Haugen's stuff, but I get so tired of Prot hymns at Mass. Why can't we have some Catholic hymns? End rant.

Peace,
Linda

Roma locutus est, causa finita est.

For DCF children Image

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:30 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

We have one chant Mass every Month. I wish had more or even on EF Mass every Month.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:40 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Sometimes a choir might accidentally launch into the Agnus Dei of Mass I after singing the Kyrie and Sanctus of Mass XI. :whistle:

'The only cure for sagging or fainting faith is Communion.... Like the act of Faith it must be continuous and grow by exercise. Frequency is of the highest effect. Seven times a week is more nourishing than seven times at intervals.'
J.R.R. Tolkien

Blasé member of PPPA

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:40 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
St. Dymphna wrote:
Rant: I like some of Marty Haugen's stuff, but I get so tired of Prot hymns at Mass. Why can't we have some Catholic hymns? End rant.

If you're still in S. Jersey you can go to Mater Ecclesiae in Berlin or maybe St. Peter's in Merchantville every now and again.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help