Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Singing During Communion Procession
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:37 am 
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Location: Kentucky but my heart is with Our Lady of Mt Carmel
Religion: Roman Catholic
Does the congregation have to sing a hymn during the procession to receive the Eucharist? Our music director is complaining about us not singing while she is playing. Can a cantor sing the hymn while the congregation is going forward?

When we think of all the Lord has done for us, we can never do enough. The word "enough" is not in love's vocabulary.
-Archbishop Fulton Sheen, The Priest Is Not His Own

My blog - http://ascendingcarmel.blogspot.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:27 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree Knight of Columbus
AFAIK, a hymn during the Communion procession is not necessary at all, really, and the congregation's participation is certainly optional.

+Bishop Fulton J. Sheen (1895-1979)

JMJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:32 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Have you checked the GIRM? That's always the first place to go with questions like this.

Need something to read?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:40 pm 
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Location: Kentucky but my heart is with Our Lady of Mt Carmel
Religion: Roman Catholic
GIRM wrote:
87. In the dioceses of the United States of America there are four options for the Communion chant: (1) the antiphon from the Roman Missal or the Psalm from the Roman Gradual as set to music there or in another musical setting; (2) the seasonal antiphon and Psalm of the Simple Gradual; (3) a song from another collection of psalms and antiphons, approved by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops or the Diocesan Bishop, including psalms arranged in responsorial or metrical forms; (4) a suitable liturgical song chosen in accordance with no. 86 above. This is sung either by the choir alone or by the choir or cantor with the people.

If there is no singing, however, the Communion antiphon found in the Missal may be recited either by the faithful, or by some of them, or by a lector. Otherwise the priest himself says it after he has received Communion and before he distributes Communion to the faithful.

Good call, Obi-Wan. I need to get me a copy of the GIRM. They don't give them out to little college seminarians like myself. ::):

When we think of all the Lord has done for us, we can never do enough. The word "enough" is not in love's vocabulary.
-Archbishop Fulton Sheen, The Priest Is Not His Own

My blog - http://ascendingcarmel.blogspot.com