Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: In anticipation?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:46 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Greetings,

I was just at an indult parish website that uses the Tridentine rite with permission. I noticed they had a mass on Saturday evening in anticipation. Since I am to young to remember, please correct me if I am wrong: I thought there were not masses on Saturday evening before the Second Vatican Council. I thought that in the old rite all masses had to be done on Sunday. Am I wrong?

If I am not wrong, then isn't the liturgical time part of the liturgical rite? Shouldn't all the masses in the Tridentine rite for Sunday be done on Sunday? Or if I am wrong, then Yeah, I learned something new.

peace

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:03 pm 
Potty Hollerer
Potty Hollerer

Religion: Catholic
I assume (though could easily be wrong) that there were masses on Sat night pre Vat II but they did not fulfill your Sunday obligation. IME, the majority of families that assist at TLM do not go on Sat night to fulfill their Sunday obligation.

I have run across Indults only being allowed to be celebrated on Sat evenings and with a fairly traditional population that prefers to attend on Sundays, attendance was poor thereby giving the ordinary the excuse to do away with the Indult TLM because not enough people were interested. :roll:

I've never thought about liturgical rite/liturgical time connection.

http://ninetexans.blogspot.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:11 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Up until some time in the mid-20th century, a Mass could not be started after noon with the exception of the Chrism Mass on Holy Thursday and the Easter Vigil. I do not know the timing of the change of that rule with respect to the promulgation of the 1962 Missal or the rite of Paul VI.

Need something to read?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:11 pm 
Middle Management
Middle Management

IIRC, the Saturday evening vigil was instituted for Easter by Pius XII. IOW, he instituted it just for Easter vigil. I think it took off from there, but I can't remember any specific details as when it become more widespread.

Whence are we to find words enough fully to tell the happiness of that marriage which the Church cements, and the Eucharistic oblation confirms, and the benediction signs and seals; which angels carry back the news of to heaven, which the Father holds as ratified? -Tertullian

Uniformity with the Will of God by St. Alphonsus Liguori

Post subject: Re: In anticipation?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:11 pm 

TP wrote:
Greetings,

I was just at an indult parish website that uses the Tridentine rite with permission. I noticed they had a mass on Saturday evening in anticipation. Since I am to young to remember, please correct me if I am wrong: I thought there were not masses on Saturday evening before the Second Vatican Council. I thought that in the old rite all masses had to be done on Sunday. Am I wrong?

If I am not wrong, then isn't the liturgical time part of the liturgical rite? Shouldn't all the masses in the Tridentine rite for Sunday be done on Sunday? Or if I am wrong, then Yeah, I learned something new.

peace

That would be correct. There was no Saturday evening Mass except for Christmas (and Easter, but I don't ever remember going to an Easter vigil Mass).

A modern day Shunamite woman. (2 Kgs. 4:26)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:36 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Well how could you have an evening mass, when the eucharistic fast started at midnight? I remember hearing about some Catholic Broadway actors who used to get finished with their last show late at night and go to Sunday mass at (or after?) midnight to fulfil their obligation. But those masses would have been on Sunday, technically.

"Do not think that I have come to bring peace on earth; I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; and a man's foes will be those of his own household." - Mt 10:34-36
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
"The future of the world passes through the family." - John Paul II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:33 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Catholic :)
The other thing is, going to Mass on Saturday just messes me up. Sundays don't feel right at all.

But we have to go sometimes so that we can go to Confession :(

O God, our refuge and our strength, look down in mercy on Thy people who cry out to Thee, and through the intercession of Mary, the virgin Mother of God; Saint Joseph, her most chaste spouse; Thy holy Apostles Peter and Paul, and of all Thy Saints, hear our prayer for the conversion of sinners, and for the liberation and exaltation of our holy Mother the Church. Through the same Christ our Lord. Amen.