Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Singing the Our Father
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:25 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Catholic
At our usual mass, there is a full choir and they sing the our Father. Not the chant verson, but the really dramatic one that has a climaxes on a really high note on "forever" (for thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory for EEEEVVVVVeer). You know the one I'm talking about?

Well, I admit to liking the melody of the song, and don't mind singing it at home. But I don't like it at mass. I think it is rather exclusive because many parishoners are uncomfortable singing with such a large range of notes - most people don't actually sing the high parts. It seems wrong to exclude so many participants in such an important part of the mass.

On the other hand, I do really like the chanted Our Father, since it is very easy to sing along to, and it helps me reflect on the words a bit more. I like just saying it too, but just can't stand the really dramatic high one.

What do you all prefer? Oh and who knows the composer (or is it arranger) of the one I'm talking about?

"Do not think that I have come to bring peace on earth; I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; and a man's foes will be those of his own household." - Mt 10:34-36
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
"The future of the world passes through the family." - John Paul II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:44 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic of the Roman Rite
I have never liked that soupy setting. Even if I did not find the music bad, it is an inappropriate version to setting in any case for a Catholic Mass, as it uses the Protestant version of the prayer, and leaves no room for the priest to say "Deliver us, Lord, from every evil...", nor does it make sense for the people to respond with a line that was already sung.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:51 pm 

My favorite is one that we did in college. Since it was written by a student at East Stroudsburg University, nobody outside of the Allentown, Reading, PA area would know it.

A modern day Shunamite woman. (2 Kgs. 4:26)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:42 pm 
Tazer Queen
Tazer Queen

That is the Our Father by Hay Mallotte, I've sung it as a solo piece, and as a solo piece with a classically trained voice it's nice, but it is not meant for the mass. It skips part of the canon as a result of its use.
--Ann

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:49 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

As bad as this sounds, there is one version of the Our Father that they do at church that makes me bordline hostile. It is SOOO slow. Hardly anyone sings along to it because it is so drawn out and IMO, it sound kinda kumbaya-ish. I find it so annoying that I've timed it just to see if it lasts as long as its seems, or if it just seems like it lasts a long time because I can't stand it. Official bat watch confirmed that it takes 4 minutes and 30-something seconds to get through it. It's pretty bad when I feel less peaceful after a prayer than after.