Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]   
Author Message
 Post subject: Is it licit to receive the prec. Blood but not the Host?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:47 pm 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2003 2:20 pm
Posts: 1689
Location: South Bend, Indiana
Religion: Catholic
Today there were not enough EMHCs so I went up to help -- after the other EMHCs had received the host. When I was given the chalice, (1) I didn't drink from it, but after communion, the rest of the precious Blood had to be consumed, so (2) I did.

Somehow that doesn't really seem like the right thing to do....what is?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:51 pm 
Offline
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:55 am
Posts: 83649
Location: 1.5532386636 radians
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
It's licit to receive the Precious Blood only. I did it once at a Mass where everyone assumed there was a full ciborium in the tabernacle and there wasn't. The same can be done for people with gluten allergies.

_________________
Nos autem in nomine Domini Dei nostri

Need something to read?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:28 pm 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2003 6:10 pm
Posts: 2234
Location: Kansas City, KS, USA
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus
One of the questions from my college days was whether receiving invalid matter broke the fast before receiving the Precious Blood. The general concensus seemed to be that it was ok given the situation. But I never heard of any issue with receiving the Precious Blood only.

_________________
Peace,
David


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:58 pm 
Offline
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:59 am
Posts: 27508
Location: Archdiocese of OKC
Religion: Catholic
I would think it would be licit (and since Obi has clarified it...). If one can receive the entirety of Our Lord in one species (and one can) why would it matter WHICH of the two forms it was?

I personally only normally receive one (the Host).

Rachel

_________________
Inaction got us here. Inaction will not make it 'go away'.
I can see the Minutemen at the bridge. They knew what was coming. They waited. That is not inaction. That is ready.


I want to be like Mrs B when I grow up!
I homeschool because I've seen the village, and I don't want it raising my children!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:02 am 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:58 pm
Posts: 5330
Location: Life Is Worth Living
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree Knight of Columbus
Yes, it's licit. Christ is present Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity under both species.

_________________
"Bye now, and God love you"

+Bishop Fulton J. Sheen (1895-1979)

JMJ

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:05 am 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2003 2:20 pm
Posts: 1689
Location: South Bend, Indiana
Religion: Catholic
Well, the reality of Christ's presence under the appearance of the wine doesn't necessarily make it licit but Obi-Wan's answer is helpful. Now, what about (1) not immediately receiving from a chalice that is handed to you with the words "The Blood of Christ"? and (2) consuming the rest of the precious Blood, not having received communion?

dcheney: your question is much more convoluted than any I could come up with :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:17 am 
Offline
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Joined: Sun May 25, 2003 12:05 pm
Posts: 11379
Religion: Catholic
Boso wrote:
Well, the reality of Christ's presence under the appearance of the wine doesn't necessarily make it licit but Obi-Wan's answer is helpful. Now, what about (1) not immediately receiving from a chalice that is handed to you with the words "The Blood of Christ"? and (2) consuming the rest of the precious Blood, not having received communion?

dcheney: your question is much more convoluted than any I could come up with :)


Well, you should have recieved if you were able to recieve when the chalice was handed to you with the proper words. I assume you felt you were able to since you offered yourself to act in the position of EMOHC. The #2 part of your question is the problem. This is one of the abuses the Vatican is trying to correct with it's recent denial of EMOHC to purify the vessels. Ideally an EM shouldn't self communicate which is what is happening when you raise up the cup to yourself. When I was in this position the Sacristan alway offered it to me and I to her. No one else did that and our priest didn't require it . If it is the practice of your parish for EMOHC to consume what is left you did not do anything intentionally wrong. So I wouldn't worry about it.


Perhaps we can get a clarification of what the rules for consuming the remainder of the Precious blood are . For some reason I'm not finding the exact instruction on this.

_________________
Dianne


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:17 pm 
Offline
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:55 am
Posts: 83649
Location: 1.5532386636 radians
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Boso wrote:
dcheney: your question is much more convoluted than any I could come up with :)


You should hang around seminarians more. That one is comparatively mild.

_________________
Nos autem in nomine Domini Dei nostri

Need something to read?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:46 pm 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2003 2:20 pm
Posts: 1689
Location: South Bend, Indiana
Religion: Catholic
Seatuck wrote:
The #2 part of your question is the problem. This is one of the abuses the Vatican is trying to correct with it's recent denial of EMOHC to purify the vessels. Ideally an EM shouldn't self communicate which is what is happening when you raise up the cup to yourself. When I was in this position the Sacristan alway offered it to me and I to her. No one else did that and our priest didn't require it . If it is the practice of your parish for EMOHC to consume what is left you did not do anything intentionally wrong. So I wouldn't worry about it.


Perhaps we can get a clarification of what the rules for consuming the remainder of the Precious blood are . For some reason I'm not finding the exact instruction on this.


Well, I thought that consuming the rest of the P.B. was distinct from purifying the vessels, no? But now that you mention it, I should add (3) one of the more senior EMHCs poured water into my chalice and told me to drink it, and I did -- that is what purifying the vessels refers to, right?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:13 pm 
Offline
Eminent
Eminent
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 11:59 am
Posts: 16813
Religion: Католик
Well, when I was a little boy, we were traveling on an Italian ship from Naples, Italy to New York, USA in the Holy Year of 1950. I noticed one altar boy was missing so I came over to replace his place. After the Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament, we all went to the sacristy. The bishop poured water into a glass, and then poured it into the chalice, and then poured it back to the glass for me to drink. My grandmother came over and saw this. She thought it was my First Communion. :)

The bishop I mentioned was Bishop James Edward Kearney of Rochester, New York:

Image

_________________
ABORTUS NECNON INFANTICIDIUM NEFANDA SUNT CRIMINA.

Abortion and infanticide are abominable crimes. (Gaudium et Spes, 51)


Last edited by lbt on Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:53 am 
Offline
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Joined: Sun May 25, 2003 12:05 pm
Posts: 11379
Religion: Catholic
Boso wrote:
Seatuck wrote:
The #2 part of your question is the problem. This is one of the abuses the Vatican is trying to correct with it's recent denial of EMOHC to purify the vessels. Ideally an EM shouldn't self communicate which is what is happening when you raise up the cup to yourself. When I was in this position the Sacristan alway offered it to me and I to her. No one else did that and our priest didn't require it . If it is the practice of your parish for EMOHC to consume what is left you did not do anything intentionally wrong. So I wouldn't worry about it.


Perhaps we can get a clarification of what the rules for consuming the remainder of the Precious blood are . For some reason I'm not finding the exact instruction on this.


Well, I thought that consuming the rest of the P.B. was distinct from purifying the vessels, no? But now that you mention it, I should add (3) one of the more senior EMHCs poured water into my chalice and told me to drink it, and I did -- that is what purifying the vessels refers to, right?


It's a necessary part of it I think. The ritual cleansing is the actual purification I think I don't know if priests say any special prayers at that time though. The Vatican has told us that EMOHC may not any longer do the purification. I am glad they at least do it correctly by adding the water.

_________________
Dianne


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]   


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


Jump to: