Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Is it licit to receive the prec. Blood but not the Host?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:47 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
Today there were not enough EMHCs so I went up to help -- after the other EMHCs had received the host. When I was given the chalice, (1) I didn't drink from it, but after communion, the rest of the precious Blood had to be consumed, so (2) I did.

Somehow that doesn't really seem like the right thing to do....what is?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:51 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
It's licit to receive the Precious Blood only. I did it once at a Mass where everyone assumed there was a full ciborium in the tabernacle and there wasn't. The same can be done for people with gluten allergies.

Need something to read?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:28 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus
One of the questions from my college days was whether receiving invalid matter broke the fast before receiving the Precious Blood. The general concensus seemed to be that it was ok given the situation. But I never heard of any issue with receiving the Precious Blood only.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:58 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

I would think it would be licit (and since Obi has clarified it...). If one can receive the entirety of Our Lord in one species (and one can) why would it matter WHICH of the two forms it was?

I personally only normally receive one (the Host).

Rachel

I want to be like Mrs B when I grow up!
I homeschool because I've seen the village, and I don't want it raising my children!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:02 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree Knight of Columbus
Yes, it's licit. Christ is present Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity under both species.

+Bishop Fulton J. Sheen (1895-1979)

JMJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:05 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Well, the reality of Christ's presence under the appearance of the wine doesn't necessarily make it licit but Obi-Wan's answer is helpful. Now, what about (1) not immediately receiving from a chalice that is handed to you with the words "The Blood of Christ"? and (2) consuming the rest of the precious Blood, not having received communion?

dcheney: your question is much more convoluted than any I could come up with :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:17 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Boso wrote:
Well, the reality of Christ's presence under the appearance of the wine doesn't necessarily make it licit but Obi-Wan's answer is helpful. Now, what about (1) not immediately receiving from a chalice that is handed to you with the words "The Blood of Christ"? and (2) consuming the rest of the precious Blood, not having received communion?

Well, you should have recieved if you were able to recieve when the chalice was handed to you with the proper words. I assume you felt you were able to since you offered yourself to act in the position of EMOHC. The #2 part of your question is the problem. This is one of the abuses the Vatican is trying to correct with it's recent denial of EMOHC to purify the vessels. Ideally an EM shouldn't self communicate which is what is happening when you raise up the cup to yourself. When I was in this position the Sacristan alway offered it to me and I to her. No one else did that and our priest didn't require it . If it is the practice of your parish for EMOHC to consume what is left you did not do anything intentionally wrong. So I wouldn't worry about it.

Perhaps we can get a clarification of what the rules for consuming the remainder of the Precious blood are . For some reason I'm not finding the exact instruction on this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:17 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Boso wrote:

You should hang around seminarians more. That one is comparatively mild.

Need something to read?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:46 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Seatuck wrote:
The #2 part of your question is the problem. This is one of the abuses the Vatican is trying to correct with it's recent denial of EMOHC to purify the vessels. Ideally an EM shouldn't self communicate which is what is happening when you raise up the cup to yourself. When I was in this position the Sacristan alway offered it to me and I to her. No one else did that and our priest didn't require it . If it is the practice of your parish for EMOHC to consume what is left you did not do anything intentionally wrong. So I wouldn't worry about it.

Perhaps we can get a clarification of what the rules for consuming the remainder of the Precious blood are . For some reason I'm not finding the exact instruction on this.

Well, I thought that consuming the rest of the P.B. was distinct from purifying the vessels, no? But now that you mention it, I should add (3) one of the more senior EMHCs poured water into my chalice and told me to drink it, and I did -- that is what purifying the vessels refers to, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:13 pm 
Eminent
Eminent

Religion: Католик
Well, when I was a little boy, we were traveling on an Italian ship from Naples, Italy to New York, USA in the Holy Year of 1950. I noticed one altar boy was missing so I came over to replace his place. After the Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament, we all went to the sacristy. The bishop poured water into a glass, and then poured it into the chalice, and then poured it back to the glass for me to drink. My grandmother came over and saw this. She thought it was my First Communion. :)

The bishop I mentioned was Bishop James Edward Kearney of Rochester, New York:

Abortion and infanticide are abominable crimes. (Gaudium et Spes, 51)

Last edited by lbt on Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:53 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Boso wrote:
Seatuck wrote:
The #2 part of your question is the problem. This is one of the abuses the Vatican is trying to correct with it's recent denial of EMOHC to purify the vessels. Ideally an EM shouldn't self communicate which is what is happening when you raise up the cup to yourself. When I was in this position the Sacristan alway offered it to me and I to her. No one else did that and our priest didn't require it . If it is the practice of your parish for EMOHC to consume what is left you did not do anything intentionally wrong. So I wouldn't worry about it.

Well, I thought that consuming the rest of the P.B. was distinct from purifying the vessels, no? But now that you mention it, I should add (3) one of the more senior EMHCs poured water into my chalice and told me to drink it, and I did -- that is what purifying the vessels refers to, right?

It's a necessary part of it I think. The ritual cleansing is the actual purification I think I don't know if priests say any special prayers at that time though. The Vatican has told us that EMOHC may not any longer do the purification. I am glad they at least do it correctly by adding the water.