Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Changes to the Liturgy
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:55 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Catholic
I know we've talked about this before, but I was wondering (1) when the changes to the Liturgy are supposed to take place, and (2) where I could find info about those changes. I thought it was supposed to take place next liturgical year. We were talking about it the other day at church, and everybody thought I was smoking something funny.

* Sometimes we turn to God when our foundations are shaking, only to find out it is God who is shaking them. *

Gloria Virtutis Umbra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:22 am 
Deceased

Here's what Bishop Aymond had to say last July:

"Bishop Aymond: The bishops voted in favor of sending to the Vatican a new translation of the Roman Missal. It must go to Rome for approval and we will not see any changes in the liturgy for probably two to three years. It will take Rome time to review the changes suggested in the translation, and there is a section of the Missal that is not yet translated, specifically the prayers that are said on the various Sundays and feast days. The Missal will not be published until all of that is completed. I would guess that we are looking at a minimum of two years.
Some people will rightfully say, “What is the big deal? Why are we going for a new translation?” When the Missal was translated several decades ago, there were many liberties taken and it was not a direct translation from the original document from Rome. In some cases, it was more of a paraphrase. Our Holy Father John Paul II and the Congregation for the Worship and Sacraments have asked for a more exact translation from the original prayers that are historical, many dating back hundreds and hundreds of years.
For example, we have been saying for many years, “The Lord be with you; and also with you.” Why should we change it to, “The Lord be with you; and with your spirit?” Because that is a greeting that was used in the early days of the church, in the first 50 to 100 years, and it meant more than just “with you” but “may God be in the depth of your heart, in your spirit.” Also, when this greeting is offered to the priest during Mass, it acknowledges that we believe that the priest leads us in the Spirit.
Other changes would be at communion. We would say, “Lord, I am not worthy that you should come under my roof,” instead of saying, “Lord, I am not worthy.” Why use the phrase “under my roof?” Because it refers to the Scriptures where the centurion said, “Lord, I am not worthy that you should come under my roof. Just say the word and my daughter shall be healed.”
Many of our prayers and expressions come from the Scriptures. But because of the paraphrasing that was done and the inexact translation, people have disassociated some of our prayers from the Scriptures. Those are two examples; if I had more space on this page, I would give more. But those will give us an example of where we are moving.
Editor: Bishop, you said that the changes in the Mass will probably be at least two years away. How will we as lay Catholics learn about this and how will this be implemented in our parishes?
Bishop Aymond: Before the effective date, we will hold workshops for priests, deacons and people involved in liturgical ministry in order to prepare them. Furthermore, there will be instructions available, both in print as well as workshops, to help the lay people become informed about these changes so that we do not spring this on people without good education and appropriate timing.
Editor: Why is that so important for us to go back to the original sayings?
Bishop Aymond: We certainly believe and hold that this community of faith that we call the Catholic Church was founded by Jesus and the apostles, and as he appointed the apostles they carried on his teaching, his wishes and his intention. The more that we can go back to the Scriptures to find our rootedness, the richer we are as a community of faith. We are not a community or denomination that was formed in a couple of hundred years. As we know, some of our sisters and brothers who belong to other religions and denominations say that we are not scripturally oriented. This is not an accurate statement. Our tradition and our liturgy are deeply rooted in the Scriptures."

I imagine dcheney has more details.

Pax Christi

"Let no one ever come to you without leaving better or happier. Be the living expression of God's kindness in your smile, kindness in your warm smile." PFC Daniel R. Parker USA (died in Iraq August 2003)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:55 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus
1) when they are ready (i.e., no one really knows yet)
2) they aren't done yet (ditto)

Generally once the texts are done (completely approved), then they will be made available with a notice indicating when they'll take effect. Usually there will be at least several months to allow folks to prepare.

Now, my best guess (and its only a guess) is that the 1st Sunday of Advent 2009 is the most likely date for the change. It might happen on the 1st Sunday of Advent 2008 - but I have my doubts that things can be completed in time.

You can find some indications of the likely changes on various websites and blogs - but take them all with a grain of salt - nothing is yet final. Well, one thing is final - "for all" will become "for many" as per the document issued by Cardinal Arinze several weeks ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:50 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Thank you for the info.

* Sometimes we turn to God when our foundations are shaking, only to find out it is God who is shaking them. *

Gloria Virtutis Umbra