Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 30 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: I am so tickled......
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:01 am 
Grand Wazoo college bowl game picker.

Religion: Catholic
This morning at Mass, our priest announced that he and the Liturgical Committee had come up with a change in the Mass that he would be introducing next week in Advent.

We will now ALL bow during the Incarnation in the Creed!!
:clap: :clap: :cloud9: :cloud9:

Up until now, I think that it was only me and a few others scattered through the congregation that did it. I am so happy!!! :D

I really love our new priest. He has been with us since July. The changes he is making he just kinda sneaks in one at a time, nothing drastic all at once. All of the changes have been great (such as the availability confession prior to all Mass times, Exposition of Blessed Sacrament before all daily Masses, dress code for alter servers, ect.) He is just great! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:18 am 

YEAH!!!!

I wish that would happen here, as it is now very few make any sign during the Incarnation.

SV

“Be sober and vigilant: because your enemy the devil, like a roaring lion, is roaming around seeking whom he might devour. Strong in faith, resist him knowing that the same affliction befalls your brethren who are in the world. ” 1 Peter 5:8-9.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:31 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Yes! I am tickled for you too! It tends to drive me crazy that no one else bows during the incarnation. Not even the majority of the priests.

That's a brilliant method of correcting things your priest has. Too many faithful priests have come in with righteous anger at how things have been done incorrectly and attempted sweeping changes that were too difficult for people to handle. Slow and steady wins the race. Especially if he teaches the "why".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:56 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Church Affiliations: OCDS
That's wonderful news. I wish our Liturgical Committee was less liberal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:18 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Even though our priest technically initiated that in our parish last week, it's still very few of us who actually do the bowing.

It's a long road, I think.

Dani

During His trials Our Lord would not respond to the chief priests (Mt 14:61), or Herod (Lk 23:9) or Pilate (Jn 19:9). Words had failed. All that could penetrate those hardened hearts was the witness of divine love, the offering of His life to the Father. So also for us — when words fail the greatest way to “win” an argument is by acts of love. - Fr. Paul Scalia

There is no law about nougatine. - Chef Stephane Glacier

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:27 am 

Fortunately, my parish seems to go with the flow. No one seemed put out with the news at all.

I have a feeling it will stick. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:36 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

They told everyone about this several months ago diocese wide and it is ignored by most, even the priests ... and they told everyone.

They also sent out a flyer which was supposed to go in all church bullitens discouraging hand holding during the Our Father. That was promptly ignored. In fact, it was not sent out at most churches in the diocese.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:56 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

OH MY GOODNESS...Patently IGNORED???

Um, which diocese are you in (so I can remember not to move there any time soon).

Rachel

I want to be like Mrs B when I grow up!
I homeschool because I've seen the village, and I don't want it raising my children!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:34 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus
We do a "wayne's world" guitar riff.

"Worship without obedience is merely hollow flattery."

"Yet, both worship and obedience are less than Christian if they do not spring from the one root- the love of God."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:43 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
Lelesim wrote:
Fortunately, my parish seems to go with the flow. No one seemed put out with the news at all.

I have a feeling it will stick. :D

and don't forget that on the Solemnity of the Birth of our Lord, that bow should turn into a genuflection... :wink:

for 20000 quatloos, alex, what is the only other day in the liturgical year that this is a requirement? :D

De Maria numquam satis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:52 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Hmmm...Annunciation?

During His trials Our Lord would not respond to the chief priests (Mt 14:61), or Herod (Lk 23:9) or Pilate (Jn 19:9). Words had failed. All that could penetrate those hardened hearts was the witness of divine love, the offering of His life to the Father. So also for us — when words fail the greatest way to “win” an argument is by acts of love. - Fr. Paul Scalia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:12 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

BINGO! kinda makes sense considering the "event" doesn't it?

De Maria numquam satis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:25 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Yes indeed!

Oh - quick question...does GIRM call for a "slight bow" or a "profound bow" for the incarnation all other times?

Thanks!

Dani

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:29 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

you're gonna make me look huh?

i just follow the lead of the priest and deacon... which is certainly more than a nod of the head, but definitely not a profound bow... i really don't think it says... but this sounds like it would be a topic for the new forum anyway :D

De Maria numquam satis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:30 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

:hijacked :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:38 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

well there ya go ... i'm wrong again :oops: :roll:

from http://www.usccb.org/liturgy/current/ch ... html#sect4

Quote:
275. A bow signifies reverence and honor shown to the persons themselves or to the signs that represent them. There are two kinds of bows: a bow of the head and a bow of the body.

A bow of the head is made when the three Divine Persons are named together and at the names of Jesus, of the Blessed Virgin Mary, and of the Saint in whose honor Mass is being celebrated.

A bow of the body, that is to say a profound bow, is made to the altar; during the prayers Munda cor meum (Almighty God, cleanse my heart) and In spiritu humilitatis (Lord God, we ask you to receive); in the Creed at the words Et incarnatus est (by the power of the Holy Spirit . . . made man); in the Roman Canon at the words Supplices te rogamus (Almighty God, we pray that your angel). The same kind of bow is made by the deacon when he asks for a blessing before the proclamation of the Gospel. In addition, the priest bows slightly as he speaks the words of the Lord at the consecration.

and from http://www.usccb.org/liturgy/girm/bul3.shtml

Quote:
In the Creed we are invited to bow at the words which commemorate the Incarnation: by the power of the Holy Spirit he was born of the Virgin Mary and became man. This gesture signifies our profound respect and gratitude to Christ who, though God, did not hesitate to come among us as a human being, sharing our human condition in order to save us from sin and restore us to friendship with God. This gratitude is expressed with even greater solemnity on the Feast of the Annunciation of the Lord and on Christmas when we genuflect at these words.

De Maria numquam satis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:29 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Thanks for looking that up! You are the coolest!

Dani

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:57 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

8-) my pleasure 8-)

De Maria numquam satis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:13 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Old habits die hard. It was initiated in our diocese over two years ago. In addition we are to bow when we are in line, about to receive Communion. I was filling in as sub for 4th grade religious education class while the teacher was on maternity leave. We teachers went over the numerous changes with the kids and the priest covered it over time, during Mass--and it caught on for a couple of months, but now everything is back to the way it was. I have to say the kids held out longer before going back to the routine of their parents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:19 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

so do you think it is apathy , disobedience, or forgetfulness?

De Maria numquam satis

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 30 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next