Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The Novus Ordo in different language
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:20 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: Mass in Usus Antiquior
Not to sure why I am reflecting on this right now :) but there are three unique and rather rare languages that I have experienced the Holy Mass in.

1.Here in Hawaii we have several priests who do the Mass in the Hawaiian Language several times a year (Its the Novus Ordo, just in Hawaiian) in the native hawaiian communities. . . I always love hearing the words of the Holy Mass in my native tongue. Its an unique experience because their are only 2 or 3 priests in all of Hawaii who speak Hawaiian and because of 99.9% of our parishes are pre-dominantly english speaking the Hawaiian speaking priests usually do Mass in English to best serve the community. . . But usually a handful of times throughout the year the priests will celebrate a Mass in the native tongue and myriads of native hawaiians pour in to participate in the Mass.

(Note* The Hawaiian language is actually on the rise and with the creation of immersion schools there are now thousands of people who speak the native tongue fluently. I was blessed to be able to grow up speaking the language)

2. When I was in college I spent one spring break in 'Indian Country' in the Southwest. On the feast of St. Joseph I went to the Laguna community (which is one the Pueblo tribes) and attended the Mass there. It was done in Karisin (which is their native dialect). After the Mass was done everyone processed outside where they had a day of dance, celebration, and food!!! It truly was a feast day!!!

3. When I was 16 I lived for nearly a year on Easter Island, which is known by the natives as Rapa Nui. The island is 99% catholic and the single church on the island was staffed by a Chilean Capuchin. The Mass was said in the native language, Vananga Rapa. Through attending Mass regularly there , speaking with natives often, and because it was very similar to the Hawaiian langauge, I was able to learn this very rare and beautfiul language