Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 3   [ 49 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:01 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Catholic
I understand what intiction is, but why would one receive by intinction rather than in the normal manner?

formerly known as deirsam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:21 am 
Eminent
Eminent

Religion: Католик
deirsam wrote:
I understand what intiction is, but why would one receive by intinction rather than in the normal manner?

It's far more common in Maronite rite than in Latin rite. Communion by intinction is not obligatory in Latin rite.

Abortion and infanticide are abominable crimes. (Gaudium et Spes, 51)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:39 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

lbt wrote:
deirsam wrote:

It's far more common in Maronite rite than in Latin rite. Communion by intinction is not obligatory in Latin rite.

okay! I guess that's why I know so little about it.

formerly known as deirsam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:45 am 
Tazer Queen
Tazer Queen

My guess is that this will cause fewer EMHCs to be necessary. But who's to say?
--Ann

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:49 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
why would there be fewer EMHCs sparky... if Holy Communion is still being distributed under both Species? for a "full" Mass, we're going to have the same numbers of stations for the Chalice that need to be filled by EMHCs

De Maria numquam satis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:22 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

I forwarded this to my father who was one of the first EMHCs in his parish. They, of course, have been purifying the vessels from day one. He is going take it to his Liturgical Committee meeting next week. It will be interesting to see what the reaction is.

Of course, that is why I forwarded it to him. That parish is so full of abuses, it's no wonder I left the Catholic Church for so long. And it's the only one anywhere near my parents who are really too old to drive 60 miles one way in a Utah winter for Mass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:10 pm 
Tazer Queen
Tazer Queen

faithfulservant wrote:
why would there be fewer EMHCs sparky... if Holy Communion is still being distributed under both Species? for a "full" Mass, we're going to have the same numbers of stations for the Chalice that need to be filled by EMHCs

Because one priest will have to clean "all those cups."

Mark my word. They'll end distrubution under both species and cut back on the EMHCs. At least, in the parishes who are obedient.
--Ann

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:53 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Just a couple of observations from the referenced article.

Regarding who can cleanse or purify:

The U.S. bishops had asked the Vatican to extend an indult -- or church permission -- in effect since 2002 allowing extraordinary ministers of holy Communion to help cleanse the Communion cups and plates when there were not enough priests or deacons to do so.
Point being deacons as well as priests can do it.

Regarding intinction:

Another "legitimate option" when "the high number of communicants may render it inadvisable for everyone to drink from the chalice" is intinction -- the practice of dipping the consecrated host into the consecrated wine -- "with reception on the tongue always and everywhere," the cardinal's letter said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:09 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Did I read that right? Does it say that only males are allowed to distribute the Eucharist?

ImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:36 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

bigcatdaddy9791 wrote:
Did I read that right? Does it say that only males are allowed to distribute the Eucharist?

I didn't see any reference to that in the article. It only addressed who may cleanse once Holy Communion is completed.

Reference:

Canon 910.
§1. The ordinary minister of holy communion is a bishop, presbyter, or deacon.

§2. The extraordinary minister of holy communion is an acolyte or another member of the Christian faithful designated according to the norm of can. 230, §3.

Canon 230.
§3. When the need of the Church warrants it and ministers are lacking, lay persons, even if they are not lectors or acolytes, can also supply certain of their duties, namely, to exercise the ministry of the word, to preside offer liturgical prayers, to confer baptism, and to distribute Holy Communion, according to the prescripts of the law.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:53 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Quote:
In the United States, instituted acolytes, who must be male, generally are seminarians preparing for priesthood or men in formation for the permanent diaconate.

Thanks LiveBy...I read this paragraph and I wasn't sure what acolytes meant. I figured since THEY had to be male, so did the people distributing the Eucharist, as I took a guess that they were the same thing haha( :oops: )

ImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:54 pm 
Potty Hollerer
Potty Hollerer

Religion: Roman Catholic
Our priest does no purifying after Communion. The EMHCs (like me) just take care of the remaining Body and Blood after Mass, then wash everything with soap and water.

SIGH

Add this to the list of things not being done according to the GIRM, like holding hands during the Our Father and no instruction on bowing when receiving Communion. (The only ones who bow for Communion are the kids who just received their first Communion and their parents, plus yours truly, who learned from all you wonderful people!)

The EMHCs have a meeting November 9th; hopefully we will be instructed on this new stuff then.

Sara

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:22 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

MissB wrote:
Our priest does no purifying after Communion. The EMHCs (like me) just take care of the remaining Body and Blood after Mass, then wash everything with soap and water.

SIGH

Add this to the list of things not being done according to the GIRM, like holding hands during the Our Father and no instruction on bowing when receiving Communion. (The only ones who bow for Communion are the kids who just received their first Communion and their parents, plus yours truly, who learned from all you wonderful people!)

The EMHCs have a meeting November 9th; hopefully we will be instructed on this new stuff then.

Sara

I would add a noticable lack of "everyone" bowing during the Creed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:43 pm 
Tazer Queen
Tazer Queen

MissB wrote:

Sara

Maybe you should print out a couple copies of this article and pass it around for discussion.
--Ann

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:25 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Just a couple of notes.

Prior to the revision of the Roman Missal about four years ago, there was nothing to prohibit the purification of sacred vessels by, what were then called, Extraordinary Ministers of the Eucharist.

With the revision of the Roman Missal, purification was reserved to the priest or deacon. However, the US Bishops sought and were given an indult to permit the former practice. Thus, the continuation of the former practice was not an abuse.

Now, Rome has given notice that the former practice is to be surpressed. However, be patient. Bishops and priests do not receive their liturgical marching orders via email, the press, or any such thing. There are channels that must be observed. So the word will officially go from Rome to the Bishops' Conference, then to individual bishops, then to their liturgical commissions, and then to the parish priest. Asking a parish priest to react to, and change procedure, based on a news story is a bit like asking a sargent in Iraq to change war strategy because someone emailed him an article that appeared in the Washington Post about the President changing strategy. It's no way to run an army, and it's no way to run a church.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:38 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

matteo d'basio wrote:
Just a couple of notes.

Prior to the revision of the Roman Missal about four years ago, there was nothing to prohibit the purification of sacred vessels by, what were then called, Extraordinary Ministers of the Eucharist.

With the revision of the Roman Missal, purification was reserved to the priest or deacon. However, the US Bishops sought and were given an indult to permit the former practice. Thus, the continuation of the former practice was not an abuse.

Now, Rome has given notice that the former practice is to be surpressed. However, be patient. Bishops and priests do not receive their liturgical marching orders via email, the press, or any such thing. There are channels that must be observed. So the word will officially go from Rome to the Bishops' Conference, then to individual bishops, then to their liturgical commissions, and then to the parish priest. Asking a parish priest to react to, and change procedure, based on a news story is a bit like asking a sargent in Iraq to change war strategy because someone emailed him an article that appeared in the Washington Post about the President changing strategy. It's no way to run an army, and it's no way to run a church.

Yes, it makes eminent sense for there to be a chain of authority within the Church just as there is a chain of command within the military.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:01 pm 
Eminent
Eminent

Religion: Католик
sparky wrote:
faithfulservant wrote:

Because one priest will have to clean "all those cups."

Mark my word. They'll end distrubution under both species and cut back on the EMHCs. At least, in the parishes who are obedient.
--Ann

Methiniks that EMHC's can still finish drinking from these chalices before a priest begins to purify them. I did once remember a deacon added too much wine during the Mass, and he had to drink the blood from the chalices.

Thanks

Abortion and infanticide are abominable crimes. (Gaudium et Spes, 51)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:14 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

this was brought up in the Liturgical meeting at my dad's parish last night. Interesting in that the Bishop's office (Utah doesn't have a Bishop right now so it was from the acting Bishop) had already sent a letter to ALL the parishes and printed in the Catholic newspaper that EMHC are not to CLEANSE the vessels anymore. My father, his priest, the deacon and all in attendance were quite upset about that. I spoke with my father tonight and told him he needs to either re-read what came from the Bishop's office or the Bishop's office needs to re-read what the Pope said. Because, the issue is NOT cleaning but PURIFYING.

I am hoping he gets clarification on it. However, I must admit that I was completely dumbfounded that this had reached the parish level already, whether in correct form or not. Especially in a diocese that has no Bishop and, quite frankly, a rather small number of members.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:40 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
i'm amazed also buannan, though maybe the lack of numbers might have made the difference afa the speed in which it reached the parish level...

i spoke with the head of the EMHC ministry saturday and he knew nothing about it , but said he thought it was a horrible idea ... i told him it was all about obedience and when rome speaks, we are obligated to listen (and follow through)... and that with our archbishop, i was quite confident something would be made known at the parish level soon

just wish i had had the phrase "Roma locuta , causa finita" in my head at the time

De Maria numquam satis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:09 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Church Affiliations: OCDS
From our diocese newspaper,

Effective Dec 2, 2006, the First Sunday of Advent, extraordinary ministers who assist in the distribution of holy Communion may no longer assist in the purification of the sacred vessels at Mass. (The Mirror, Diocese of Springfield-Cape Girardeau)

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 3   [ 49 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next