Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Red Mass
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:01 am 
Master
Master

Went to a Red Mass today. Very impressive. The choir was absolutely amazing. I noticed that there were non-Catholic judges in attendence.
The bishop spoke of the legal profession as a vocation and lawyers as the "last line of defense against injustice" which was really moving. He also spoke to the judges directly, referring to them as "guardians of the law."
Apparently they only started this at my parish a few years ago. My parish is a couple of blocks from state and federal courthouses.
Does your diocese do a Red Mass? If not, I would highly recommend that you suggest it to the diocese. Not only is a grand advertisment for the Church, but more importantly, it reminds judges and lawyers of their non-secular duties.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:46 am 
Apostle of Iraq
Apostle of Iraq

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th degree Knight of Columbus
Man, I though you were taling about a Mass conducted by Indians! That is cool if you get the chance to go to a Mass on the reservation!

*NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL* http://www.youtube.com/defendercatholic *NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL*
http://catholicscomehome.org/epic/epic120.html
Ephesians 6:10-17
1 Timothy 3:15

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:56 am 
Grand Wazoo college bowl game picker.
Grand Wazoo college bowl game picker.

I will have to check and see if we do here. We do have a White Mass for health care workers every year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:25 pm 
Board Administrator
Board Administrator

Yes, we have a Red Mass. We are also in the state captial, so lots of political big wigs go

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:16 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

The Red Mass was introduced to the US in 1928 right here in New York, at St. Andrew's church, right off of Foley Square. It is immediately adjacent to the US Courthouse, which is itself across the street from the NY County courthouse. They have been holiding it every year since, in the fall around the beginning of the court term.