Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Help needed: Dominican rite
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:01 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
Does anyone know of any sources where I could get detailed rubrics for the Dominican rite? I am revising a Mass booklet that was intended for Missa Dialogata for use at Missae Solemnes et Cantantae. Hence directions for incensing and such would be nice

http://stomachosus-thomistarum.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:14 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

I've seen old Dominican Liturgical books on eBay, they usually fetch a high price.

I've been told that the last US Dominican priest who (illicitly) offered the (suppressed) Dominican rite passed away a few years ago.

At this time, the Dominicans have a liturgical commission which is re-writing the Dominican Rite, per the reforms of Vatican II. They are pretty hushed about details.

"You seek me", St. Augustine comments, "for the flesh, not for the spirit. How many seek Jesus for no other purpose than that He may do them good in this present life! [...] Scarcely ever is Jesus sought for Jesus' sake" (In Ioann. Evang, 25, 10).

“therefore is my people led away captive, because they have not knowledge … therefore hath hell enlarged her mouth without any bounds” (Is 5:13-14).

But he that shall persevere to the end, he shall be saved. (Mt 24:13)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:04 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
mgross wrote:
I've been told that the last US Dominican priest who (illicitly) offered the (suppressed) Dominican rite passed away a few years ago.

The Dominican Rite was never supressed. All particular rites of orders, afaik, were left up to the orders. The Carthusians still have several monasteries that do just the Carthusian rite

The Dominican rite is often (or at least was often) offered at Holy Rosary in Portland. Heck, that is where our Mass books are from. The were printed in 2001! The priest here has permission from his superior to do the Dominican rite, and I know of several older priests that had permission after the order as a whole adopted it (just as old priests in monasteries continued saying the old rite after the NO came out [a tutor of mine's first Old Mass was in the late 70's in a monastery with such an old priest])

http://stomachosus-thomistarum.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:42 pm 
Inactive

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: Lay Fraternity of St Dominic
I've just copied your request into an email and sent it to 2 lay dominican friends of mine who may be able to help you.

God bless,
Bek

http://jmjdcc.blogspot.com