Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Gestures: Bowing
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:48 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Greetings,

In the original GIRM it required a sign of reverence before receiving communion. In the New GIRM the American bishops got approved the liturgical gesture of the head bow before receiving communion.

First of all, are people doing this in your parishes. and Secondly, do you find aiding in reverence?

In our parish previous to this most people did absolutely nothing and there were a couple of people who genuflected. Now, most people do the head bow before receiving communion and nobody genuflects. MOST people do the gesture.

There is a noticeable change in attitude in the communion line. There seems to be much more reverence in receiving communion. I like this very much. What is the experience of others in your parishes?

peace

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:59 pm 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Religion: Catholic
I have seen little of it in my parish. In fact, I've only seen two people do the head bow and they're in my family. No one genuflects, either then or now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:12 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Greetings,

Was your parish catechized about the gesture at all. We explained the gesture at every mass for about 4 weeks in a row. We taught it as all the school masses so the kids could model it for their parents, and we teach it to all the first communicants.

When we taught this we also explained the Profound bow during the Creed. People were dumbfounded that they this has Always been in the text, but they were never taught to do it. This is less well received than the bow at communion. I think they just forget to do it.

peace

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:03 am 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Nope. Nary a word about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:41 am 
4-H Superstar
4-H Superstar

I guess you could say my parish was catechized somewhat on bowing. For several weeks in a row, my deacon made announcements before each Mass that people were required to bow before reception of communion. It was also in the bulletins during those weeks. We only have a 25% attendance rate, so 75% of the parish community didn't know about bowing. The children were never taught about bowing. I had to instruct my daughter myself.

Only a handful of people bow during the Creed, including myself. I've had people ask me why I was bowing during the Creed. It's directly in the Gather Hymnal, but most people refuse to pick up the book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:40 am 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

I and my boys always bow at the Incarnation, and I've seen a couple of other people do it recently. I see people who are reading along just continue on as usual. They don't bow. Nobody genuflects during Christmas either --- other than my family, that is.

I noticed today the person in front of me bowed before receiving Holy Communion, but I didn't know them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:46 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Greetings,

I don't even try to get them to genuflect at christmas in the creed. I would be happy with bowing. The christmas crowd is pretty clueless about liturgy in general.

peace

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:01 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

We've always genuflected at Christmas; that was one tradition that never really died in my neck of the woods. What is new is that bowing during the rest of the year at the Incarnation has made a very successful comeback. Everybody does it.

As for the bow of the head when receiving Communion, people here often seem to want to bow more than just their heads. The irreverence that used to drive me up the wall is disappearing. The improvements are slow, but they are definite.

Now, if only we could get rid of that horrid, happy-happy-joy-joy music. . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:00 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

About half of our folks bow in the communion line. As for bowing/genuflecting during the creed, I think I'm the only one (besides the priest) who actually does that. It's clearly spelled out in our missals, but goodness, who actually looks at those? :?

* Sometimes we turn to God when our foundations are shaking, only to find out it is God who is shaking them. *

Gloria Virtutis Umbra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:53 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

We do the head bow in our Communion line as well. I'm also happy to report that most of the people in my parish bow during the creed. A bow of the head, though, just doesn't seem like enough to me. I would much prefer to recieve in a kneeling position, but I don't think that's allowed in the NO Mass, just the TLM.

C.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:15 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic (SSPX)
A communicant cannot be denied communion because he kneels to receive (even if there is no communion rail). .... So says Rome, anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:12 pm 
Board Administrator
Board Administrator

TP wrote:
Greetings,

I don't even try to get them to genuflect at christmas in the creed. I would be happy with bowing. The christmas crowd is pretty clueless about liturgy in general.

peace

The Msgr who was the pastor of our previous parish when we first got there made an announcement prior to Mass to remind everyone to genuflect during the Creed.

It seemed to work out pretty well as most of the congregation followed his lead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:01 pm 

I and a handful of people genuflect. Most bow. Some don't do anything.

A modern day Shunamite woman. (2 Kgs. 4:26)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:21 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

At the cathedral parish, there was catechesis on bowing, and it seems universal there and at the other parishes I visit regularly.

Interesting, the same people who object to the priest's "back to the people" ad orientum position, do not seem to mind bowing to the back of the person in front of them, per the instructions (we were instructed to bow as the person in front of us receives Holy Communion, so as not to slow the line).

Bowing during the creed is extrememly rare, although there is one retired priest here who, during advent, has eveyone down on their knees for the marian portion of the creed. Quite simple, he says "please kneel" as he goes down, and everyone else does too! simple. effective.

baaahhh! Baaahhh! :wink:

"You seek me", St. Augustine comments, "for the flesh, not for the spirit. How many seek Jesus for no other purpose than that He may do them good in this present life! [...] Scarcely ever is Jesus sought for Jesus' sake" (In Ioann. Evang, 25, 10).

“therefore is my people led away captive, because they have not knowledge … therefore hath hell enlarged her mouth without any bounds” (Is 5:13-14).

But he that shall persevere to the end, he shall be saved. (Mt 24:13)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:40 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: Mass in Usus Antiquior
Yep, we got the head bow down pat here in Hawaii :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:09 pm 
Tazer Queen
Tazer Queen

At Christmas, our pastor just went ahead, stopped speaking the creed at the appropriate moment and kneeled down on one knee. It helps that he has two other priests with him, but even when he was alone he did it. He kneels like that until until everyone shuts up and kneels as well. Then he stands, we all stand, and continue with the creed.

We all got the point. Worked fine.
--Ann

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:12 pm 
Tazer Queen
Tazer Queen

On the bowing for communion thing - most forget to do it at our parish. I think they're still trying to remember. I've forgotten myself a few times. But that was because I was carrying my kid. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:13 am 

Before I moved to NY, my diocese in the Pgh. area was catechized on the head bow gesture during the Creed and during Communion.
The diocese where I live now does not bow or genuflect. Not certain as to why they don't but I am going to find out.