Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Need help finding documents and history...
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:24 pm 
Resident Philosopher
Resident Philosopher

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 2nd Deg. KoC, SSFJDOG
Does anyone know of resources regarding the use of piano in liturgy? I want to research the history of instrumentation in Churches and what the official stance has been throughout history on the use of instruments besides the organ.

Thanks!
FJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:15 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Catholic
All I really know is what's in the Sacrosanctum Concilium...Chapter VI.

Specifically, one section thereof says:

"120. In the Latin Church the pipe organ is to be held in high esteem, for it is the traditional musical instrument which adds a wonderful splendor to the Church's ceremonies and powerfully lifts up man's mind to God and to higher things.

But other instruments also may be admitted for use in divine worship, with the knowledge and consent of the competent territorial authority, as laid down in Art. 22, 52, 37, and 40. This may be done, however, only on condition that the instruments are suitable, or can be made suitable, for sacred use, accord with the dignity of the temple, and truly contribute to the edification of the faithful."

Sorry I don't know more about this matter. If I come upon any more in my reading, I'll let you know.

Dani

During His trials Our Lord would not respond to the chief priests (Mt 14:61), or Herod (Lk 23:9) or Pilate (Jn 19:9). Words had failed. All that could penetrate those hardened hearts was the witness of divine love, the offering of His life to the Father. So also for us — when words fail the greatest way to “win” an argument is by acts of love. - Fr. Paul Scalia

There is no law about nougatine. - Chef Stephane Glacier

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:02 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

In Musicam Sacram, Section IV, paragraphs 61-67 there is a bit more discussion of instruments. There are a couple of links to it already in the Primary Resources thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:22 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Pope Pius XII: Musica Sacrae
Promulgated December 25, 1950

http://www.ewtn.com/library/encyc/p12music.htm

Nothing specific about piano or percussion instruments, etc. (although the violin is mentioned, as well as the organ, of course!) But some principles from St. Pius X's Motu Proprio on Sacred Music are reiterated for modern times.