The Catholic Message Board
http://forums.avemariaradio.net/

Liturgical words
http://forums.avemariaradio.net/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=60261
Page 1 of 1

Author:  lbt [ Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Liturgical words

Many of us do not know what liturgical words mean.

I will start with one of them:

ABACUS - is not a calculation tool like those Japanese or Chinese abacus. It is a Latin word meaning a credence table, where the chalice and ciboria are first placed before the mass.

Now can you think of some more?

Author:  Teacher [ Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:06 pm ]
Post subject: 

maniple - a vestment worn on the wrist in some rites.

Ambo - the lectern used by the cantor

Pax Christi

Author:  Mrs B [ Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:28 pm ]
Post subject: 

Here's what I found from a google search.

Aspergilium: container used to sprinkle water.

EWTN Kids has quite a few of them on their site.

Author:  FotBG [ Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:30 pm ]
Post subject: 

the Embolism - at the end of the Lord's Prayer but before "for Thine is the kindgom..." the priest prays, "Deliver us Lord from every evil, and grant us peace in our day...." That's the Embolism.

Some parishes skip that part.

Author:  Tantum-Ergo [ Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:58 pm ]
Post subject: 

The Libera nos, Domine? Is that allowed?

Doxology: Can refer to the "Per ipsum, et cum ipso, et in ipso", or to the Gloria Patri.

Teacher, as far as I know, the use of the maniple is not restricted to any particular rite. I've seen priests do it in the Novus Ordo, as well. It's just not required.

Author:  Teacher [ Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:21 pm ]
Post subject: 

I didn't mean to imply it was restricted, just that some use it more than others. IMHO, there's probably a regional element also.

Pax Christi

Author:  Tantum-Ergo [ Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:23 pm ]
Post subject: 

That's certainly true. What are generally considered "traditional vestments" by Americans are not by any means so elsewhere. I know a fellow who saw a Mass in Austria where they tried to have a layman and a laywoman do the Consecration, and the priest wore a fiddleback.

Author:  lbt [ Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:49 am ]
Post subject: 

campanula - Latin word for "little" bell. Altar server rings the bell just before the consecration as well when the priest shows the host and again the chalice (cf GIRM 150).

Author:  Kelly OCDS [ Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:13 am ]
Post subject: 

Friend of the Bridegroom wrote:
the Embolism - at the end of the Lord's Prayer but before "for Thine is the kindgom..." the priest prays, "Deliver us Lord from every evil, and grant us peace in our day...." That's the Embolism.

Some parishes skip that part.


When we were visiting in Arkansas that part was skipped. I'd never 'not' heard it so it was a bit of a shock to not have the priest saying it. I love it cause Fr. knows I'm a worry wart and so it's a message to me every day...'don't worry Kelly!'.

Kel.

Author:  Kelly OCDS [ Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:18 am ]
Post subject: 

Lavabo: The ceremony of cleansing the celebrant's hands before the offertory
oblation in the Holy Eucharist. The word is also used to denote the bowl containing the
water, and for the small towel accompanying it. (had to use this, it's Fr. Kyle's favorite; we all got a chuckle out of learning about the lavabo bowl.)

Author:  lbt [ Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:55 pm ]
Post subject: 

Mrs B wrote:
Here's what I found from a google search.


Thanks for pointing out the site. I did notice an error there. The Pope doesn't wear a red zucchetto, but a white one like that given to my late grandmother from Pope Pius XII. They made the correction there.

Author:  Tantum-Ergo [ Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:00 pm ]
Post subject: 

lbt wrote:
campanula - Latin word for "little" bell. Altar server rings the bell just before the consecration as well when the priest shows the host and again the chalice (cf GIRM 150).


And sometimes, at the genuflexion of the priest, and at His consumption of the Precious Blood.

Author:  Tantum-Ergo [ Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:01 pm ]
Post subject: 

Kelly wrote:
Lavabo: The ceremony of cleansing the celebrant's hands before the offertory
oblation in the Holy Eucharist. The word is also used to denote the bowl containing the
water, and for the small towel accompanying it. (had to use this, it's Fr. Kyle's favorite; we all got a chuckle out of learning about the lavabo bowl.)


The funny part is, 'lavabo' is the first word of the traditional ceremony. The new one goes 'lava me, Domine...' Yet the old name for both ceremony and bowl remains.

Author:  Mrs B [ Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:30 am ]
Post subject: 

lbt wrote:
Mrs B wrote:
Here's what I found from a google search.


Thanks for pointing out the site. I did notice an error there. The Pope doesn't wear a red zucchetto, but a white one like that given to my late grandmother from Pope Pius XII. They made the correction there.


I hadn't gotten down the the z's yet. I'm glad you picked up the error.

Author:  Chris G [ Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:14 pm ]
Post subject: 

Here's a few that I would like to know. A priest I asked didn't know:

Hosanna
Alleluia

Author:  lbt [ Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:21 pm ]
Post subject: 

THURIFERARIUS - Latin for thurifer, a person who carries a censer with incense.

Author:  Tantum-Ergo [ Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:36 pm ]
Post subject: 

Thurible - censer
Boat - a container for incense
Frontal - a traditional cloth draped over the front of unornamented altars.
Crucifer - a server bearing the processional Cross.
Torch - an exalted candle used in processions, and often at the reading of the Gospel.
Cope - a cape-like vestment worn at some liturgies, most notably Benediction.
Humeral Veil - worn over the cope when the celebrant blesses with the monstrance.

Author:  MyDogma8MyKarma [ Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:53 am ]
Post subject: 

Quote:
genuflexion


Genuflection.

I miss the bells. My church doesn't ring them during the Consecration. But I still hear them in my head at those times they should be rung!


Chasuble: The Mass vestment that covers all the rest.

Author:  Edward Pothier [ Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:39 am ]
Post subject: 

MyDogma8MyKarma wrote:
Quote:
genuflexion


Genuflection.

I miss the bells. My church doesn't ring them during the Consecration. But I still hear them in my head at those times they should be rung!


Chasuble: The Mass vestment that covers all the rest.

If you are “hearing bells in your head”, perhaps you should stop banging your head on the pew in front of you.


Edward Pothier

Author:  MyDogma8MyKarma [ Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:12 pm ]
Post subject: 

:mrgreen:

That did surprise an :) out of me. My boss is wondering why I am cackling.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/