Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New fad at Mass?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:39 pm 

I know since Vatican II there has been many fads come and go in celebrating Mass whereby various people feel they have a different and better way to do things than is the traditional way.

Something I'm starting to see every now and then, but with increasing frequency, is where people in approaching the altar, or even serving around the altar, walk with their arms straight down their sides, like they are just walking down the street or something. This is as opposed to the traditional way of approaching the altar with your hands clasped together in front of you in some fashion.

I've seen this in the opening procession, people going up to receive Holy Communion, altar servers, and extraordinary ministers of the Eucharist. I have even observed a deacon do this.

And by watching them do this throughout Mass, it wasn't that they simply forgot the normal way for a moment, but were obviously doing it intentionally. I believe that I have seen this at different churches in different cities.

Is there some movement out there that is promoting this as the new "in-thing" to do, showing that you support some new theological approach to Mass, like holding hands during the Our Father? I haven't heard of anything about this practice, but since I seem to be noticing this with increasing frequency, I have a feeling that someone is promoting this fashion around the country and some followers are picking up on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:54 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Greetings,

My guess that they have never been taught and are clueless. Or even just being sloppy. Gestures are not very important to our society.

(PS: In case you didn't know, the Solesmse board is a good place to ask liturgy questions. Its new).

peace

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:42 am 
Citizen
Citizen

I really appreciate you bring this up...

you know I really can't remember how my stance is as I go to recieve Communion. I know I bow as I come before the priest but..... anyway I really agree with and will make complete the stance of receiving.

Communion should never ever be common.

Thanks again. :)

John 3:16

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:14 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Catholic
I always have my hands clasped and no one told me to do it that way...I just...do! I didn't know it was a real 'thing'. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:10 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knights of Columbus
The way I always saw it was that you should approach with reverence. Now, if you feel in your heart of hearts that you are being reverent in the way that you approach, then so be it. But if you're just sauntering up with your hands in your pockets, or swinging at your side with a bounce in your step as you look around the church to see who else is there so you can talk to them after mass, then, no, you're not being too reverent.

Of course, if there is an actual rule to have your hands folded, then I guess I win anyway, because that's what I do :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:05 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

I agree with TP; they do it because they are sloppy, or perhaps simply clueless. All these middle-aged and older priests, though, are surely not clueless.

It's better in Latin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:52 am 

Somehow I get the impression that what I am seeing is not sloppiness, but rather done on purpose and for some reason. When I see the procession up to the altar at the beginning of Mass and two people are side by side, one with hands clasped together, but the other person with her arms straight down as they walk up to the altar. Then the procession at the end of Mass and the same two people are walking out the same as they processed in. I was just wondering if there was some knownmovement out there promoting this for some reason, since I have seen this several times at different locations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:04 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
Church Affiliations: SSVdP
I agree with TP - in this part of the world there has been little or no instruction or formation in how we should behave or act in Mass.

There are less and less people genuflecting, bowing, clasping hands etc - especially those under 40.

No one has taught them or reminded them.

Some of us who are EMHCs etc have had some formation from the priest but I have never heard anything else taught at all in the last 30 years (and never about clasping of hands - I just picked that up by watching sacristens at the Cathedral because hardly anyone does that in the parish).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:34 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

I can vouch for not being taught anything. I'm 32, came into the Church this last April, and let me tell you, we got NADA on any of this!! Nothing on when to genuflect, when to bow during the Mass, how to approach the altar, how to receive properly....you name it, no instruction whatsoever.

It's no fun at all....I have to put things together from here, and from the parish we are now attending, which is led by a very traditional, orthodox priest. It really helps to have a priest who insists on orthodoxy...

Rachel

I want to be like Mrs B when I grow up!
I homeschool because I've seen the village, and I don't want it raising my children!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:39 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

There are even people who go to communion while chewing gum. I've seen it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:52 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Oh, definitely. I've seen that, too, Caleb.

Rachel

I want to be like Mrs B when I grow up!
I homeschool because I've seen the village, and I don't want it raising my children!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:42 am 
4-H Superstar
4-H Superstar

caleb wrote:

I've seen people take the gum out of their mouth, receive communion, then pop the gum right back in :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:39 am 
Deceased

Mrs B wrote:
caleb wrote:

I've seen people take the gum out of their mouth, receive communion, then pop the gum right back in :shock:

[joke]

This chewing gum in the communion procession is only allowed if the gum being chewed is DOUBLE BUBBLE bubble gum (a popular gum from my youth and still being made today according to GOOGLE).

Chewing DOUBLE BUBBLE would be considered an affirmation of the dual natures of Christ, fully human and fully divine!

[/joke]

Edward Pothier