Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Engaging the Liturgy
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:08 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Orthodox
The Liturgy, contrary to modern protestant views, is not an entertainment event. It is incumbent upon the faithful to engage the Liturgy, and be a part of it. For many centuries in both the West and the East, this was not stressed as heavily as it should have been.

Thomas Howard, as many people know, wrote an exceptional book several years ago for people who attend the Western liturgy(although it is mistitled. I think it should be "When your mind", not "if your mind" ;) ). I read it a while back and was quite impressed.

For those who attend the Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom, there is an equally exceptional book that includes a copy of the Liturgy with notes embedded along the way to help the congregation.

What other books/techniques, etc. do people use/recommend to more fully participate in the worship of the Church?

edit: with apologies to TP who started a similar thread, but one that seemed to head in a slightly different direction.

For from the rising of the sun even to its going down, My name has been glorified among the Gentiles; and in every place incense shall be offered to My name, and a pure offering, for My name shall be great among the Gentiles, says the Lord Almighty. (Malachi 1:11, LXX)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:07 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Greetings,

New threads are always good. We do need to engage in the liturgy. One of the issues of this is that we have dumbed down the liturgy so that people can participate.

At one time people had to work to engage the liturgy. The chants were more difficult, we had to memorize things in a different language, we had to THINK.

We have dumbed things down for participations sake so that things have gotten boring. Nobody is engaged or thinking,so their minds wander.

Example: We began sung chant at an event. we had very simple chant tones: all sung on one note until the end of the sentence where it woud go up or down, or s a simple twist of the music. It was great the first morning prayer, and the second prayer, but after doing this a couple of days this very simple chant was getting boring.

Well, the event was a gregorian chant workshop. In the workshop, we were learning ver difficult chant. Beautiful, but difficult. We then did a couple of evening prayers in the difficult chant. It was great. It was moredifficult. I had to pay a lot more attention and I had to work at my prayer. This engagement made it wonderful.

In our liturgy on Weekends, have we dumbed things down SOOOOO much that people no longer need to think, no longer are engaged? Just a thought.

peace

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:27 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Something that helped me to engage the liturgy was understanding how all the OT typeology pointed to our Lord and HIs Church and the Sacraments. So many of the readings and the prayers refer to persons and events of the OT, and these in turn show their ultimate fulfillment in the Church. Understanding how these are shown forth in the texts of the liturgy help me to stay 'in the game' when I attend Mass.

For a good understanding of OT/Salvation History I found Jeff Cavin's Bible Timeline very helpful. Scott Hahn's book 'A Father Who Keeps His Promises,' 'Swear to God,' and 'the Lamb's Supper' were also very helpful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:49 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

TP wrote:
Greetings,

New threads are always good. We do need to engage in the liturgy. One of the issues of this is that we have dumbed down the liturgy so that people can participate.

At one time people had to work to engage the liturgy. The chants were more difficult, we had to memorize things in a different language, we had to THINK.

We have dumbed things down for participations sake so that things have gotten boring. Nobody is engaged or thinking,so their minds wander.

Example: We began sung chant at an event. we had very simple chant tones: all sung on one note until the end of the sentence where it woud go up or down, or s a simple twist of the music. It was great the first morning prayer, and the second prayer, but after doing this a couple of days this very simple chant was getting boring.

Well, the event was a gregorian chant workshop. In the workshop, we were learning ver difficult chant. Beautiful, but difficult. We then did a couple of evening prayers in the difficult chant. It was great. It was moredifficult. I had to pay a lot more attention and I had to work at my prayer. This engagement made it wonderful.

In our liturgy on Weekends, have we dumbed things down SOOOOO much that people no longer need to think, no longer are engaged? Just a thought.

peace

I know a Slovakian who likes Latin Masses more than vernacular, because he has to work to follow it, so he actually pays attention.

It's better in Latin.