Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 3   [ 49 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:53 pm 
Adept
Adept

Religion: Catholic
I listen.

It's appropriate, I think, that when a minister of God is proclaiming aloud the holy, inspired, inerrant Word of the Lord, I should try to put aside all else and perk up my ears.

Besides, after nearly three decades of Bible study, there are not too many passages of the Bible that I'm not familiar with, so I wouldn't need the help of a written text to make sure I caught what was being said.

I praise Thee for all things, I bless Thee, I glorify Thee, with the everlasting and heavenly Jesus Christ, Thy beloved Son, with whom, to Thee, and the Holy Spirit, be glory both now and to all coming ages. Amen. -- St. Polycarp's prayer of thanksgiving at his martyrdom, 156 A.D.

Baby No. 8 is on the way!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:11 pm 
I read along or my mind wanders. By reading I can focus on what is being said and not get distracted by other things. I even bring my Bible along during the week so I can follow along. I seem to get more out of Mass this way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:12 pm 
Tazer Queen
Tazer Queen

Listen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:25 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
Depends

If it is a TLM I try to read it beforehand, if I do not I read along (for obvious reasons)

If at an NO (Latin or venacular) I just listen... partially because there are no missalettes at my college (at home I will follow along if I am being distracted too easily)

http://stomachosus-thomistarum.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:30 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

I usually would have read the gospel reading in the morning on Sacred Space (an Irish website that gives meditations, which includes the daily gospel reading)...so I just listen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:40 pm 

Read first, then Listen.....

I try to arrive at the Church, with my three kids, about 15 minutes before the start of Mass. It gives us time to pray, consider Mass intentions, etc. My kids are doing a wonderful job of settling in, praying, sitting quietly, etc.

During this quiet time, I read all of the Scripture readings. Then when the Word is proclaimed during the Mass, I generally listen..., but I do sometimes follow the reading in the MIssalette with one of my kids, if he or she doesn't seem to be focusing on the Word - I think that following along can help to keep them focused sometimes... but if they are not reading and do appear to be listening, I just say a prayer of thanks and leave them alone :D

By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another. --- John 13:35

You are precious in My eyes, and honored, and I love you. --- Isaiah 43:4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:40 pm 

Pro Ecclesia Dei wrote:
Depends

If it is a TLM I try to read it beforehand, if I do not I read along (for obvious reasons)

If at an NO (Latin or venacular) I just listen... partially because there are no missalettes at my college (at home I will follow along if I am being distracted too easily)

Forgive my ignorance, but what are a TLM and an NO?

By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another. --- John 13:35

You are precious in My eyes, and honored, and I love you. --- Isaiah 43:4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:44 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
FaithfulCatholic wrote:
Pro Ecclesia Dei wrote:
Depends

Forgive my ignorance, but what are a TLM and an NO?

TLM= Traditional Latin Mass, 1962 Ordo Missae

NO= Novus Ordo Missae, 1970 (the modern, post Vatican II Mass).

I usually attend the NO in Latin, but the readings are vernacular. The TLM is allowed on 2nd Sunday by my house.

http://stomachosus-thomistarum.blogspot.com/

Post subject: Re: At Mass Do you...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:54 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: I got me some.
Catholic Maximus wrote:
Curious here....

Do you listen to the Priest or Deacon Proclaim the Gospel, or do you read along?

In some places you have no choice on the matter as there is nothing to read unless you bring it yourself. Personally I think those throw away missilettes are a waste of money. Otherwise people can buy their own if they want to read along. in my old parish and my new one we don't have them, just the mass outlined in the hymnal or on a sheet of paper along with the hymns

"Man is placed above all creatures, and not beneath them, and he cannot be satisfied or content except in something greater than himself. Greater than himself there is nothing but Myself, the Eternal God. Therefore I alone can satisfy him."

The Dialogue of the Seraphic Virgin Catherine of Siena

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:49 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

I read. Its a lifelong habit I have yet to shake. I'm also one who is distracted easily..focusing on the words helps me focus my mind.

I also read along to the Gloria and the Creed. I know them but the same problem as above. Seeing the words helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:09 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

I read along to keep myself focused.
Although with the kids along, I still can't always focus! :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:54 pm 
Apostle of Iraq
Apostle of Iraq

Church Affiliations: 4th degree Knight of Columbus
Catholic Maximus wrote:
Curious here....

Do you listen to the Priest or Deacon Proclaim the Gospel, or do you read along?

I do both!

*NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL* http://www.youtube.com/defendercatholic *NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL*
http://catholicscomehome.org/epic/epic120.html
Ephesians 6:10-17
1 Timothy 3:15

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:03 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
a multi-tasker huh? but can you walk and chew gum at the same time? :P just messin' with ya brother...you know i love ya! :wink:

De Maria numquam satis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:12 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

I have my eyes closed for most of Mass, so I listen ;)

From the desire of being esteemed,
Deliver me, Jesus...
That others may be loved more than I,
Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.

Domine Iesu Christe, Fili Dei, miserere mei, peccatoris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:16 am 

Thanks for all the responses. I was just curious. I don't think there is a right or wrong way.

I heard a sermon from a Deacon once where he talked about it. He encouraged people to listen instead of read. His reasoning was that the Priest or Deacon "proclaim the Gospel" and the people listen, just as Jesus proclaimed the word of God. I personally used to be a reader, but ever since that sermon I have become a listener. I find I am more recpetive to the word now, in terms of pondering the meaning and thinking about it long after Mass is over, and even at times, going back and reading it again. Just my perspective.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:28 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Read, I am a visual person like Siggy. It helps me to focus. I also try to get to Mass early so I can preview the readings before hand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:50 am 

I also read. I have always found that the more senses I engage in a task the better I retain. In college and law school I would always go to class and take copious notes. I find reading along helps me stay with the program and better focus on the Gospel.

I would like to congratulate all of you who mentioned that you arrive early and peruse the readings before Mass. I so the same, and think it's a great way to get ready, after saying your prayers and preparing yourself to meet the Lord in the Word and Eucharist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:39 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
we usually get to Mass about 25-30 minutes early (gotta make sure we get our "reserved" pew :wink: ) ... i usually spend the time in prayer until Mass starts, but if i finish a little early, i'll read the pamphlet provided that has the "synopsis" of the readings for the Mass

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:58 am 
Eminent
Eminent

Religion: Католик
Catholic Maximus wrote:
Curious here....

It would be difficult for a person either deaf or hearing-impaired to listen to the priest or deacon - unless a sign interpreter is present. So the person would read along.

Besides, I also take the New Testament both in Greek and in Latin.

Vietnamese - Mother's Heart Will Conquer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:33 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus
Listen, since we don't have missalettes to read along with and I can listen just fine without having to bring a bible with me. I'd say it's a personal decision that depends on which form helps you to get the message better.

“We are moving toward a dictatorship of relativism which does not recognize anything as definitive and has as its highest value one's own ego and one's own desires... The church needs to withstand the tides of trends and the latest novelties.... We must become mature in this adult faith, we must guide the flock of Christ to this faith.”

“At times, power — including that of knowledge — blocks the path to encountering that child,” the Son of God, the savior of the world -Pope Benedict XVI

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 3   [ 49 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next