Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 29 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Singing at church
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:04 am 

Religion: Converting
Today at church we sang Salve Regina (simple tone). This was done without organ accompaniment. The cantor who led the singing was male (with a low voice I assume). He sang it in Bb which is yoo low for congregational singing. Why do some men (even if trained) have a tendency to sing low when singing without an accompaninent? Why do even trained singers have this problem? I myself often end up starting too high (at lest when warmed up). What is going on?
I have heard some people saying that a tenor should be able to sing a bit lower than Bb2. I, as a tenor, find that Bb2 is my lowest note. If I am warmed-up B2 is sometimes my lowest note.
Am I just a "weird" tenor since I can't sing lower than Bb2? All other tenors find Bb2 an easy note so the cantor choose to sing low? I am the only person who find Bb2 a difficult note?

Post subject: Re: Singing at church
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:04 am 
Corporate Minion Moderator

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
Better a low voice than a “Sandi Patti” tremolo soprano, which we get all too often. They all sound like fingernails on a chalkboard and drive me totally up a wall. Getting back in focus on the Mass afterwards takes me forever.

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:20 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
You'll get complaints about "it's too high" a lot more readily than "that was too low." So most people will pick a starting note such that, if it's wrong, it's too low rather than too high.

Bb2 is a little low for a tenor. My voice has shifted down with age, but when I was able to sing high tenor notes, I could get down to G2, maybe F#2 on a really good day, but I wouldn't expect everyone to be able to do that.

Nevertheless, for congregational singing in a hymn with a wide range, I wouldn't object to that Bb (which is a Bb3 for the congregation).

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:01 am 

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
You'll get complaints about "it's too high" a lot more readily than "that was too low." So most people will pick a starting note such that, if it's wrong, it's too low rather than too high.

Bb2 is a little low for a tenor. My voice has shifted down with age, but when I was able to sing high tenor notes, I could get down to G2, maybe F#2 on a really good day, but I wouldn't expect everyone to be able to do that.

Nevertheless, for congregational singing in a hymn with a wide range, I wouldn't object to that Bb (which is a Bb3 for the congregation).

At what pitch do people start to complain?
I have been told a batitone shouod be able to sing at least up to Eb4. Do those who complain really care about singing? I mean, it seems that those who never sing at all unless at church are the people who complain about high notes. Should we really sing low just because of some lazy people? Those lazy people have to sing during the week as well and sing with more projection.
Who are the people who complain? Do people who know how to sing complain?
Are we singing low at church due to the fact that we have many very untrained singers at church? Is that the reason?
Am I weird if I cant sing below Bb2?
Also, they always sing lower when singing without accompaniment. Men must have weird low voices and cant find the higher notes unless having an accompaniment. Even trained sibgers need accompaniment or they will sing too low. This is strange as they should know how to not sing too low. I don't agree with the idea that singing very low is good. I think people sound bettee when singing higher. Why this strange ideal?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:31 am 

Why the obsession with singing higher, when the lower registers are much more melodic and pleasing to the ear? Let it go, friend. Don’t be part of the problem.

Commit to the Image

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:35 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: As I understand it.....in God's will. This is the best place to be.
Religion: Orthodox (In Communion With Rome)
Church Affiliations: Past Grand Knight KoC 15107
ingenting wrote:
Today at church we sang Salve Regina (simple tone). This was done without organ accompaniment. The cantor who led the singing was male (with a low voice I assume). He sang it in Bb which is yoo low for congregational singing. Why do some men (even if trained) have a tendency to sing low when singing without an accompaninent? Why do even trained singers have this problem? I myself often end up starting too high (at lest when warmed up). What is going on?
I have heard some people saying that a tenor should be able to sing a bit lower than Bb2. I, as a tenor, find that Bb2 is my lowest note. If I am warmed-up B2 is sometimes my lowest note.
Am I just a "weird" tenor since I can't sing lower than Bb2? All other tenors find Bb2 an easy note so the cantor choose to sing low? I am the only person who find Bb2 a difficult note?

Interesting. How did you know it was in Bb? Did you see the sheet music or are you just that darn good?

I have a similar problem in my parish. One of the tones is written way too high for the average singer. I can get to the top note in it, but as lead cantor, I have transposed it down about four steps. Makes much easier singing.

The other annoyance I have in our very small (like 25 people on a Sunday) parish is that NO ONE knows the tones. Not even the handful of old-timers. I don't like chanting alone because this is not a performance, it is a "litourgia", a work of the people, and the people should be involved.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:05 am 

Mrs. Timmy wrote:
Why the obsession with singing higher, when the lower registers are much more melodic and pleasing to the ear? Let it go, friend. Don’t be part of the problem.

I am not the problem. I have never forced anyone to sing very low.

Last edited by ingenting on Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:09 am 

Light of the East wrote:
ingenting wrote:

Interesting. How did you know it was in Bb? Did you see the sheet music or are you just that darn good?

I have a similar problem in my parish. One of the tones is written way too high for the average singer. I can get to the top note in it, but as lead cantor, I have transposed it down about four steps. Makes much easier singing.

The other annoyance I have in our very small (like 25 people on a Sunday) parish is that NO ONE knows the tones. Not even the handful of old-timers. I don't like chanting alone because this is not a performance, it is a "litourgia", a work of the people, and the people should be involved.

I knew the pitch since I have an app on my phone that tells me the pitch. Also, I felt that it was below C.

Anyway, at what pitch do people start to complain? And what kind of people are complaining?
Is it better for me to sing at other places than church since most peopke at church dont even train their voices?

And am I the only man who think it is low keys at Mass?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:19 am 

Again, and as the good Father and Brother concurred above, people complain about the pitch being too high, not too low. It does appear that you are in the minority in this one. Sorry, friend.

Commit to the Image

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:35 am 

Mrs. Timmy wrote:
Again, and as the good Father and Brother concurred above, people complain about the pitch being too high, not too low. It does appear that you are in the minority in this one. Sorry, friend.

What we seem to have here is: what suits most people let us have it. Is this how the Church think about Liturgy? Make most people sing and then we are good.
So if we have 100 people and only 1 is not singing we have no problem? I mean, human dignity has nothing to do with maths in my opinion and Church teachings.
I am really serious. I am actually if traditions are about making most people satisfied. I often experience that people who are different often can have a hard time fitting at church unless we were very good at a certain skill.
What do you think?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:42 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I think you're being awfully demanding that everyone do things your way.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:53 am 

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:

How do you mean? Do you have any tips on how I can start to belong somewhere? I often feel like an outsider.
I have difficulties with the social world. "Normal" people seem to want us "not normal" people to become like them. I should be able to be myself at church. Traditions are for those normals. Even at Mass am I supposed to be like most people, ie the normals. I get frustrated and dont think Jesus wouod approve. I dont wanna try to be normal. Most people sing low so let those without low voice sing low. I find this strange.
What to do?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:23 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic (Syro Malabar)
ingenting wrote:
I should be able to be myself at church.

Should other people be able to be themselves at church?

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:25 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Any time a group of people get together to sing, it's nearly impossible to find a key that works for everyone. All you can do is find a key that works for most.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:09 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: As I understand it.....in God's will. This is the best place to be.
Religion: Orthodox (In Communion With Rome)
Church Affiliations: Past Grand Knight KoC 15107
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:

Ah hah......Father, I've got a small newsflash for you. In any well-run Eastern Catholic or Orthodox parish, the CANTOR sets the tone and the people FOLLOW.

In other words, my way or the highway (or.....don't sing).

I have seen more than one instance where a cantor had to up his volume to sing over someone and get the whole congregation on tone and going in the right direction.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:12 am 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
As long as your relative pitch is good, what difference does it make what key someone else is singing in?

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:39 am 

Jack3 wrote:
ingenting wrote:
I should be able to be myself at church.

Should other people be able to be themselves at church?

Yes but...people who never practice singing shouldn't complain about high notes..they shouod be told the truth: learning to sing requiers practice!
Same applies to social skills or what to do at Mass.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:29 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic (Syro Malabar)
They complain because they want to sing with, and they want to sing with because they want to express their love of God.

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:44 am 
Grand Wazoo college bowl game picker.
Grand Wazoo college bowl game picker.

Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus 4th Degree
I'm a basso profundo and proud of it. :fyi:

For you love all things that are, and hate none of the things which you have made: for you did not appoint, or make anything hating it. Wisdom 11:25

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:53 am 

ingenting, you’re a time machine transporting me to the days when I had to endure the rants of my ex-husband. “Everyone has a right to my opinion,” “If I can do it, anyone can do it” (without regard for God-given talent - or lack thereof), and “Disagreement = betrayal.” Not a pleasant place to be taken.

I tell people that my first marriage ended over religious differences: he thought he was God, and I didn’t.

Commit to the Image

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 29 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next