Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Good Friday and the veneration of the cross.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:04 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Catholic
Is it generally considered OK to have a version of Stabat Mater (it would be a version in the vernacular) during the veneration of the Cross? We would then leave a version of Crux Fidelis/pange lingua...praelium to Communion so as to be able to include both (Stabat Mater being, istm, less suitable for Communion time than the Crux Fidelis adaptation). However, one ought perhaps really have the latter during the veneration of the Cross if at all possible, which it is?

The instructions (possibly rubrics) give preference to the Crux Fidelis adaptation in Norwegian, and seems to allow Stabat Mater only on the basis of certain considerations: what is feasible, local tradition, and pastoral considerations. I do not know what really qualifies as these. It would be good to have both also for the congregation to hear both, but that is perhaps not a good enough reason! I can say that we certainly have sung Stabat Mater during the veneration of the Cross in the past, but I can't say whether it is at all a 'local tradition'. And it may have been wrong on our part to do so.

'The only cure for sagging or fainting faith is Communion.... Like the act of Faith it must be continuous and grow by exercise. Frequency is of the highest effect. Seven times a week is more nourishing than seven times at intervals.'
J.R.R. Tolkien

Blasé member of PPPA

Last edited by Norwegianblue on Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Good Friday and the veneration of the cross.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:11 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

I really need to sort out some simple notes for the Reproaches for next year if I'm going to continue with this kind of thing!

'The only cure for sagging or fainting faith is Communion.... Like the act of Faith it must be continuous and grow by exercise. Frequency is of the highest effect. Seven times a week is more nourishing than seven times at intervals.'
J.R.R. Tolkien

Blasé member of PPPA

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:14 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
The choices of music during the veneration are fairly free. I wouldn't worry about it.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:18 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

OK. Thanks.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Blasé member of PPPA

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:10 am 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
Norwegianblue wrote:
seems to allow Stabat Mater only on the basis of certain [extremely broad] considerations

FTFY

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help