Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 23 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: How many readings?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:30 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Christian
I understand that there is a feast day in the Roman Catholic Church called the Immaculate Conception of Mary. Are the readings for the Vigil Mass exactly the same as the readings for the feast day on December 8th?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:47 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Yes.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:38 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
Doom wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/012818.cfm

The readings are numbered "1" and "2". I don't have a lectionary handy, but I believe that's the case there as well. Don't ask me why.

Probably because the Psalm is not technically 'read' but rather sung, and there is no 'the word of the Lord...thank be to God' after the Psalm. Nevertheless, it is another scripture passage which one hears at every Mass and should thus be counted when adding up how much of the Bible Catholics hear at Mass.

Technically, the psalm doesn't have to be used. The gradual can be sung instead - so maybe that's why it's not counted? The readings have to be done but there are options for what takes place after the 1st reading. [To be clear, I know most churches use the psalm. However, I have been to some churches that use the gradual instead.]

"Be of good heart ... you who are children of Mary. Remember that she accepts as her children all those who choose to be so. Rejoice! Why do you fear to be lost, when such a a Mother defends and protects you?" - St. Alphonsus Liguori

"Blessed Virgin Mary - Immaculate Mother of God. Crushes Satan's head in her spare time." - CCB

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 23 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2